Author Topic: Margaret Rees Llanelly?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Rees Llanelly?
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me find parents of Margaret Rees born 1888 Llanelly. She married Herbert Veasey in Shepton Mallet in 1905 then came back to Llanelly after 1911. 

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rees Llanelly?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

You need to purchase the marriage certificate to find out her Father's name and occupation. Margaret Rees is a quite common name and you could end up tracing the wrong family.

If you are absolutely certain about her date of birth you could order her birth certificate, but the marriage certificate is probably best. There were 7 Margaret Rees births 1887-9 Llanelly on freebmd:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Morgan but no I don't have details of her birth certificate. I just wondered if she appears on a census or something.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but there's more than 1 Margaret Rees of that age range in Llanelli on 1891-1901 censuses so the only way to trace her is through her marriage certificate. Even then if her Father's name and occupation are not unique, it may not be possible without more information. For example if her father's name was John Rees who worked in the tinplate works, it's possible that there could be 2!

If you know the names of any of her brothers and sisters, that may help find her. My advice is to buy her marriage certificate and then post the details on this thread.  :)

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Looks like you're in luck:
Margaret and Herbert married on 28th April 1905 when she was 19 years old (so born 1885-6). Her Father's name was Cornelius Rees, a miner.

This info is from a One name Study for the Euridge surname:
http://www.uridge.org/Euridge_Uridge-p/s1.htm

It also says that her Mother's name was Anna Thomas and she married Cornelius Rees on 23rd December 1880 at Carmarthen. However, I would still treat the information with caution and verify any records because Cornelius Rees is not unique and the Cornelius on the 1880 marriage certificate was a blacksmith rather than a miner. 

Looking at the info on the Euridge site and at the 1901 Census data, I would say that Margaret was born in Llangendeirne Parish, Carmarthen, and in 1901 was in Ystradyfodwg, Pontypridd. She was known as Maggie and the Study also has the birth certificate for an illegitmate daughter Annie Mary born to Maggie in September 1904 in Eglwysilan district.

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
 :)Morgan you truly are a genius and a wonderful person. I have contacted the lady in the link as she has lots of people on her tree that are on mine. Her maternal grandmother is my maternal great grandmother. I thank you for sending me this link. It is wonderful and so helpful. Thankyou so much.  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

:-[  I'm so thrilled that you've made contact with such a close rellie - she's your Mother's first cousin? It's exciting to discover living relatives as well as our ancestors, isn'it? I have exchanged old photos of some 2xGreat Grandparents with newly discovered cousins, and it's lovely to put faces to names on the family tree.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Chris 71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morgan, yes she is my mum's cousin and I am exchanging photos and info with her. Amazingly enough though, her mum is still alive. As my mum is now 73 and her mum died years ago, its amazing to think her mum's sister is still here. My mum comes from a big family, there were 17 kids altogether and with the name Evans in WALES I thought it would be an impossible task especially as I knew practically nothing about them. (Only a couple keep in touch with one another.) but thanks to this brilliant site, I have got on brilliantly. Many thanks to all who have helped me so far.
Chris (a lowly housewife)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
There's no such thing as a lowly housewife!  All housewives (or househusbands) display many valuable skills not least time management.  8)  I'd rather do this than dusting though...   ;D