Author Topic: Duffy - Tithe Applotment Records  (Read 5350 times)

Offline ftman007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy - Tithe Applotment Records
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgreat grandfather, Bernard Duffy, born in about 1795, emigrated from County Monaghan to New Brunswick, Canada in 1827.  He was accompanied by his wife, Margaret and two young children, Edward and Bridget.  In the 1800s, my Duffy family in Canada followed the convention of naming the oldest son after the paternal grandfather, so I am proceeding on the assumption Bernard’s father was likely Edward Duffy.

In looking at the Flax Growers Bounty List (Spinning Wheel List), 1796, I located 5 Edward Duffys – one located in each of the Parishes of Aghnamullen, Donaghmoyne, Ematris, Inishkeen and Tullycorbet.  One of them may have been Bernard’s father. 

I was hoping to locate a Bernard Duffy in one of those parishes in the Tithe Applotment records.  Unfortunately, only two of the parishes were surveyed before he emigrated - as I understand it, the two are Donaghmoyne (1824) and Inishkeen (1823).   Would anyone happen to have access to the Tithe records for those parishes?  If so, could I ask you to have a look for an Edward Duffy and a Bernard Duffy?

As for the three other parishes, I came across the Tullycorbet records online and located a few Edward Duffys (including one who seems to have been living next to or near a Bernard Duffy – unfortunately, my Bernard Duffy would have emigrated by then!).  Would anyone have access to the Aghnamullen and Ematris Tithe Applotment records?  Would they contain any reference to an Edward Duffy?

Thanks for your help or suggestions.

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy - Tithe Applotment Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ftman007,

I only have Tithe for Parish of Inishkeen, so I hope this helps a little, please find listed all Duffy’s in Tithe for Parish of Inishkeen, County Monaghan and County Louth.

Tithe Applotmant Books for Parish of Inishkeen:

Ballintra:  Cormick Duffy;
Ballyrush:  Owen Duffy;
Dromond:  Peter Duffy, Francis Duffy, Phlilp Duffy, Laurence Duffy;
Dromass:  Stephen Duffy;
Knockreaghs:  Owen Duffy;
Lannett:  Piers Duffy, Owen Duffy;
Lacklom:  James Duffy;
Seeolagh:  Owen Duffy;
Gorteen and Thornfield (County Louth):  Bryan Duffy;
Caracloghan (County Louth):  Widow Patrick Duffy, Bryan Duffy, Edward Duffy.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotments for Aghnamullen parish have been indexed and can now be found on http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/Monaghan/AghnamullenTithes.htm
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline tmdffy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think your talking about my Duffy’s
Tom Duffy

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number & e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GJDuffer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
is there any way to learn more about the Laurence Duffy and the James and the Patk in Cooltrim Egis. Does this mean they were neighbours or related? Are there stories about the tithing obligations. Can we find any emigration or cease of tithe info? 
Ditto the Laurence and Francis in Dromond; the James in Lacklom
thanks from Greg.

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 23 08:07 BST (UK) »
My mother's paternal line is Duffy.

I've traced it back to John Duffy and Catherine Docherty. Records involving their children Catherine and Bridget in the second half of the 1800's refer to County Donegal, Shannon, Magherahan(e) and Convoy. They also had Edward and Teresa.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 23 09:25 BST (UK) »

Are these the townlands when you refer to Shannon in Co Donegal?

Shannon Lower
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/clonleigh/clonleigh-south/shannon-lower/

Shannon Middle
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/clonleigh/clonleigh-south/shannon-middle/

Both to the ESE of Convoy.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Suz Roney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 08:33 BST (UK) »

Are these the townlands when you refer to Shannon in Co Donegal?

Shannon Lower
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/clonleigh/clonleigh-south/shannon-lower/

Shannon Middle
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/clonleigh/clonleigh-south/shannon-middle/

Both to the ESE of Convoy.

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure. Their daughter Catherine Duffy lived in Shannon (per Petty Sessions Court records) and later lived in Raphoe.