Author Topic: Donegeal Beattie  (Read 9101 times)

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Donegeal Beattie
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Beattie Family.
George Beattie birth circa 1817 and Margaret Nisbet birth circa 1840
marriage unknown chn
                             joseph, 1841 ? William1843?, George 1846
found in Scotland 1851 Census living with a number of other Irish family's in Livingston Linlithgow West Lothian. Any help welcome

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegeal Beattie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
I think I see the marriage of George and Margaret 1839 Donegal, Church marriage,
George Beatty = Margaret Nisbit, the record is on the Roots Ireland  PPV site, so without purchasing the record (5 Euro I think) you can not see the details of Parish, parents etc.

There are 2 records on there same year, use advanced search to enter spouses maiden name to narrow search down to the one you are looking for

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Through a series of elimination I was able to find Georges fathers name Daniel Beattie.

I see a Daniel Beatty in the Griffith Valuation farmer, Carrowmenagh, Lower Moville, if that matches the Marriage record

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this very helpful web page. :)
with the advance search, it turned out nil if I put in William as father's first name. the same with the mothers name's, Catherine Bruce, does this mean that the parents names are not known.  info from George's death cert 1896,  I did a little bit more and found, we have a birth of William 1845,1839, nil to joseph,and only one for George 1851.
Birth of Margaret Nisbit one 1816,  nil to George. 

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that Georges parents were William Beattie = Catherine Bruce? If so marriage record is incorrect

If a blank is returned then either name is wrong or perhaps not known, these sites don't want to give away too much information or no one would purchase the full records!

Have you any idea what part of Donegal the family came from, what religion they were? A lot will depend on this, most Parish records don't go back much further than the mid 19C (Almost no RC Parish records before 1850 in Donegal)

Without a Parish or Townland to pin the family down however it make the task almost impossible, unless they have a very unusual surname.

Joe

Offline heath

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 May 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Yes according to the death cert his parents were William and Catherine - thus the second son has been named William.  So perhaps there parents names were not required, in1839 like elsewhere.

No I have no idea what part of Donegal they came from, every thing states just Donegal. Free church of Scotland as far as I know.

We did how ever have a match with both names - George and Margaret and 5euro is double down under. - $10 It didn't state how much the birth cert would be.

What would the birth cert hold ?  :)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
The names you are seeing on the Roots site may just be coincidence, Beatty/ie is a common name in Donegal 352 Baptisms, 110 Marriages listed for the county on the site, The Christian names you are searching are some of the most common for the 19C so I would be reluctant to pay for any of the records without more proof that you have the correct Baptism/Marriage record, also remember the records are not comprehensive, the records for your ancestors may not have survived!

I have been caught once or twice myself paying for records that turned out to be incorrect, you also ask what the birth Cert would hold, there will be no birth Cert as such as these records are Pre Civil registration, they will be transcribed from an entry in a church ledger, they will usually contain name of both parents, maiden name of mother, in the case of Episcopalian  (COI) marriages God parents may also be included. You say you think your ancestors were Free Church in Scotland that would most closely correspond with the Presbyterian Church here in Ireland at that time period.

Sorry I can't help further but without Parish/Townland information its a very difficult/impossible task

Joe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 May 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Any Church of Ireland registers I've seen have not listed mother's name or godparents.
Presbyterian church registers from this period may list only father's name + townland or names of both parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 May 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
I'll admit its fairly unusual for Godparents to be included, but some early registers such as Clonca in Donegal did include Godparents

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/clonchareg.htm

Or maybe the above was an exception

Joe