Author Topic: Mordachy "Mardy" O'Connor of Yambo, Mantua in War of Independence  (Read 6274 times)

Offline J_Dwyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mordachy "Mardy" O'Connor of Yambo, Mantua in War of Independence
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching my relatives from Roscommon, my Great Grandfather was Mordachy "Mardy" O'Connor (sometimes noted as Murtagh,  Muireadach) he fought with the 2nd Batt. North Roscommon, Mantua Unit of the Irish Republican Army, he was the Adjuant of "A"Company (1919-1921) and the Company Intelligence Officer (1921-1923).
He is listed in the excellent book 'They Put the Flag A-Flying' as Martin Connor - I have since been in contact with the author who has provided superb documents which have provided me with all this information.

I was wondering whether anyone local or a local historian could provide any further information on him or his family? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank-you for your time.
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline unapmcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mordachy "Mardy" O'Connor of Yambo, Mantua in War of Independence
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was an O' Connor,( Conor) Mantua was 1.50 miles away from where she married, some of her family emigrated to the USA. may be a connection.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for info, and if so what you are looking for but this looks like Mordachy on the 1901 & 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Rossmore/Cloonyeffer/1671068/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Rossmore/Cloonyeffer/788774/

Tara

Offline unapmcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Dear J,
It looks like from both my mothers & fathers side you too have got the same surnames, maybe not so odd, . since their villages  are onlly 1 mile apart ,. I understand you may have been in contact with a lady who is doing a  dna  web. on my fathers side , she may have already sent you some details about us, she contacted me appx. 1 month ago, re c.shannon, does this ring a bell with you????

Offline Eileen Dooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Dear J, Mardi appear in  my family tree. I have him down being the son of Michael O'Connor and Margaret Ann Fahy and grandson of Martin O'Connor and Ellen Kelly. I have a lot of information on the family if you still want to know - on the O'Connor side  (that is our side of the tree).  Michael, Mardi's father was one of ten children. His sister Bridget would be my great great grandmother. Mardi siblings were Martin (married Annie Shannon),  Joseph (married Bridget McGinley), Patrick , Mary Ellen (Molly), Annie, Michael and Thomas.  Get in touch if you want what I have.   - Regards Eileen Dooley

Offline Eileen Dooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Unapmcs,
My relative Bridget O'Connor married Peter Shannon who was born in 1840. I have a note against his name (see Killina cemetary) Their eldest child, Ellen, is my g grandmother. They had 10 children and I have details should you want them

Offline JDwyer1993

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Dear J, Mardi appear in  my family tree. I have him down being the son of Michael O'Connor and Margaret Ann Fahy and grandson of Martin O'Connor and Ellen Kelly. I have a lot of information on the family if you still want to know - on the O'Connor side  (that is our side of the tree).  Michael, Mardi's father was one of ten children. His sister Bridget would be my great great grandmother. Mardi siblings were Martin (married Annie Shannon),  Joseph (married Bridget McGinley), Patrick , Mary Ellen (Molly), Annie, Michael and Thomas.  Get in touch if you want what I have.   - Regards Eileen Dooley

Hi this is 'J_Dwyer' ... been so long since I've been on here I'd forgotten my password so thought it easier to just set up a new account ... that'd be great if you have any info on the family - i'm on Ancestry if that makes it easier http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/48645649/family
Kind regards,
Joe

Offline rbotj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 06:17 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Michael Connor (1790-1837) is from Rathnaglye adjacent to Kilree and Rathkeva. Do you know if he is part of your family?He is buried in Ogulla cemetery. Sons Owen, Francis and Daniel all migrated to Australia.

Rob James