Author Topic: Reid Lookup Please  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Shannynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Weegee descendent
    • View Profile
Reid Lookup Please
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the birth information for my Great Grandmother. Her name was Daisy Julie Reid, born December 12th, 1905, apparently in Glasgow. I do not have parents names, as she was given up by her parents to be raised by her grandparents. I do not know if the grandparents are from the mother's side or the father's side, I do know that her Grandmother's name was Mary, and Mary died in approx 1922. Mary's husband died sometime between 1905-1922.

I do not know what area of Glasgow. I know this is not alot of help, but can a search be done with just the date? It would have been registered in Dec. 1905 or January 1906 correct?

After Mary's death, Daisy was raised by her best friend's family, a girl named Jessie Drummond, and in 1927 she moved to England and worked as a tracer for Dehavilland and/or Handly Page.
Reid-Glasgow, Cramond
Smith-Argyll, & Glasgow

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Reid Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shannynd

Have you tried searching for your g grandmother's marriage entry to see what it may say about her father (I assume she may have married in England)?

The only source for BMDs is the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Doing some searches doesn't show any births for a Daisy Reid but there is one in 1907 for a Julia Reid as a possibility but this entry doesn't show in Lanarkshire (where Glasgow is). There are two further entries in 1903 for births of a Julia Reid in Lanarkshire (both entries show outside of Glasgow City). Once you have registered with SP, it is free to search, you only need to buy units to view search results and download BMD images on line (costs are very reasonable).

What could help you now is the soon to be released Scottish 1911 census due to become available from 5 April. I think this would be a good place to start. You have no way at this stage of knowing whether any of the birth entries you might find could be the correct ones unless you have some information that lets confirm. The 1911 census may give you some clues to work from....

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Closest dates for births in Glasgow

1901 REID DAISY  at BLACKFRIARS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

1901 REID DAISY  at KELVIN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just been looking at posts on Daisy on another forum - the entries you have found Sancti seem the only relevant ones. Do they both have the same reference? The other forum includes the cert for a Daisy born in September 1901 to an Elizabeth Reid, domestic servant. The birth took place at the Maternity Hospital in Blackfriars, usual residence for mother was 308 Renfrew Street.

Monica

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
BLACKFRIARS  644/05 1123

KELVIN  644/09 1484

Unusual to have 2 Daisy Reid born the same year in Glasgow

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
probably the same one. It seems common at that time for a birth to be registered in both the birth and home district.
McGowan, Dunlop, Watson, Kerr, Rickelton, McLachlan, Devine, Glasgow

Offline Shannynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Weegee descendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
A very long overdue update:
I went to the archives in Glasgow, I spent 5 hours trying to look up birth records, to no avail. I also went to London on the same trip and got a copy of the marriage certificate of Daisy from the Camden office.
Date of birth matches, full name matches, and the new bit of information, that fathers name and profession!!!!!!
Ready for this???????
Daniel Reid - Professional Dancer
Now I did a little more homework, and dancer could have been a gentleman for "hire" at dances, or someone who actually danced or competed on stage, or as part of a troupe.

No further information since..................thoughts?
Reid-Glasgow, Cramond
Smith-Argyll, & Glasgow

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
What age was she on the marriage record?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 19:48 BST (UK) »

Date of birth matches, full name matches, and the new bit of information, that fathers name and profession!!!!!!

You have been working hard on this all....

Dates of birth are not included on English marriage certs (or from any other places in the UK). Guess you mean Daisy's age matched a possible late 1905 birth?

When did Daisy marry?

Monica