Author Topic: Richard Webster - Nether Silton / Leake  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Jenie Oakley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Webster - Nether Silton / Leake
« on: Friday 11 March 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if anyone could find a baptism for my ancestor Richard Webster born about 1783 in Silton - I'm assuming this is Nether Silton, a chapelry in the parish of Leake, North Yorkshire. Richard's marriage (to Isabella Vasey in 1810) and the baptisms of his children all then took place in surrounding parishes in this part of North Yorkshire, and by 1840 he had moved to Stockton. His baptism is not on the IGI although the Leake registers are supposed to be on there - I'm wondering if the records for Nether Silton's church were not transcribed to the IGI with the main Leake register?  Any help would be very greatly appreciated, as I am not in a position to travel to Yorkshire (or Durham) to look this up myself at the moment. Thank you.

Jenie
Oakley, Briars, Parker, Mardlin, Maddams, Bygrave, Smith, Chalkley, Kilb(e)y, Marlow, Gray, Coleman, Chapman, Harris, Pack, Denton
Goring, Webster, Ellis, Dodds, Payton, Birkinshaw, Barker, Waudby, Linsley, Edson, Atkin

Offline Jenie Oakley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Webster - Nether Silton / Leake
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
I have still not been able to find any more about Richard's birth,  ??? so would appreciate it if anyone is able to look him up please? Thank you...
Oakley, Briars, Parker, Mardlin, Maddams, Bygrave, Smith, Chalkley, Kilb(e)y, Marlow, Gray, Coleman, Chapman, Harris, Pack, Denton
Goring, Webster, Ellis, Dodds, Payton, Birkinshaw, Barker, Waudby, Linsley, Edson, Atkin

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
I can't see any baptisms at Leake within 5 years of 1783, for Richard Webster.  6 baptisms for the forename Richard, 0 for Webster.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
According to Genuki, there are separate entries for Nether Silton within the registers for Leake.  There are no separate registers for Nether Silton.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 21:38 BST (UK) »
According to the entry in the East Harsley marriage register Richard was from Hutton Bonville which is 5 miles north west of Northallerton
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
Over Silton is the parish church for Silton. Matthew Webster, son of Michael and Eleanor Webster was baptized there in December 1782. Richard Webster, also the son of Michael and Eleanor Webster, was baptized at Ainderby Steeple on March 22nd 1785. The entry on FreeReg says that the Websters were living at Greenhills. Ainderby Steeple is a mile or two west of Northallerton.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Jenie Oakley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 18 04:28 BST (UK) »
I have only just returned to see these replies - thank you all so much! This is very helpful and Ainderby Steeple is only 7 miles or so from Hutton Bonville. It seems that the Webster family (like other Yorkshire ancestors) moved around quite a lot from one village to another, probably to find work on farms. I had never seen the image of the marriage entry before.