Author Topic: Guilsorough West Haddon  (Read 4103 times)

Offline mjb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Guilsorough West Haddon
« on: Thursday 21 April 05 07:05 BST (UK) »
Dear All

Looking for information on Mary Pell Nichols and possible Ancestry. 1841 Census or parish records.

Mary born 1810 approx and John Father 1798 approx.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

MJB
Researching Bunyan  Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire.  Blakes of Winslow and Marsh Gibbon, Chatteris, London, Nottingham
Gadd of Worthing
Doxsey of London

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Author of AIKENHEAD, PELL & NETHERCOTE fam history
    • View Profile
Re: Guilsorough West Haddon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
John NICHOLS married Mary PELL, 1 Apr 1807 Guilsborough, Northants

Mary's parents are:
William PELL, chd 29 Jan 1751, Guilsborough
Anna HADDON died abt 21 Oct 1815 (src Northampton Mercury)
m. 8 Oct 1781, Guilsborough
They were members of the Independent Baptist Church - so their children are not baptised CofE.

William's parents were:
William PELL, born 19 Jun 1713, chd 12 Aug 1713, Guilsborough
Rachael LANDAN, of Nasby, buried 31 Oct 1782, Guilsborough
m. 9 Jun 1746, Oxendon, Northants
William (b1751) was the 2nd of 6 children

William's parents were:
William PELL, of Moulton, buried 13 Sep 1728, occ Tallow Chandler in Guilsborough
There is a big gap in the Moulton parish registers - so I don't have William's baptism
Elizabeth BATEMAN, of Guilsborough
m 19 Oct 1700, St Sepulchres, Northampton
William (b 1713) was the 7th of 9 children

William's parents were:
Martin PELL, chd 7 Dec 1634 Hannington, brd 1 Feb 1705 Moulton, Northants
Elizabeth, brd 17 Jul 1714, Moulton
Martin left a Will that identified his daughter Mary, sons William & Samuel and Wife Elizabeth.
Martin's father, William PELL of Hannington, which makes the connection between the PELLs of Moulton and the PELLs of Hannington.  The PELLs can be traced into the 1500s in Hannington, but the accuracy is a little uncertain
Martin's son Samuel is my ancestor.

Oh, and there were at least two John Nichols associated with Guilsborough.  One born circa 1796 and in West Haddon as an Ag Lab in the 1851 census.  He is only 11 years old at Pary Pell's wedding.
The other is a Builder and Auctioneer based in Guilsborough.  This is the one that Mary Pell married.
PELL: Northants, Leics, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
NETHERCOAT: Northants, Leics, Australia
AIKENHEAD: Forfar, Kincardine
WAYTH: Suffolk, Australia
GUDGEON: Hants, Suffolk, Australia, New Zealand
LANGSFORD: Cornwall, New Zealand, Australia
SLAPP: Suffolk
OSBORNE: Suffolk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a William Pell of Guilsborough; however, his wife was Elizabeth Lee of Kilsby, Northamptonshire.

She was named as a daughter of Andrew Lee, the Elder,  of Kilsby in his Lee's Will of 1720. Her brother was Andrew Lee, the Younger of Watford. She had another brother John Lee of Kilsby.
Her mother was Ruth (maybe the one who died in 1726 Rugby)
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Possible children of William Pell, a mercer/chandler of Guilsborough and wife Elizabeth Lee
1. John Martin Pell b.17 Mar 1700 Guils.; bd. 24 May 1778
2. Elizabeth Pell b. 30 May 1704 Guils.
3. Kezia Pell b. 13 Jan 1706 Guils.
4. Andrew Pell b. 23 Sep 1709 Guils.
5. and 6. Twins: Wm and Thomas b and bp. 23 Dec 1710 Guils.
7. William Pell b.19 Jul 1713 Guils.
8. Samuel Pell b. 8 Feb 1715 Guils.
9. Mary Pell b. 17 Dec 1719 Guilsborough.

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith, Interesting.  I haven’t had a look at the Pells for a while.  I don’t have any agenda as to which Elizabeth was the mother of William Pell’s children.  But it there are corrections to be made then  that should happen.

Firstly, the only relevant marriage record relating to the event.

“Marriages Anno Domini 1700
“…
“William Pell of Moulton & Elizabeth Bateman of Guilsborough were married October the 19th day.”
=St Sepulchure parish register, Northampton, England
The marriage register does not indicate whether either party was previously married.

Further, William Pell’s father was Martin Pell.  Martin Pell’s Will states that William has a son named “Martin”.  I take the “John Martin Pell” of the baptism records to be this Martin.   (Martin was an unusual name in the Pell families of the time.)

Further to the connection between William Pell, Tallow Chandler, and Martin Pell of Moulton we have the following apprenticeship abstract:
“Pell William, son of Martin, Moulton, Northamptonshire, yeoman, to Ralph Field, 4 May 1692, Tallow Chandlers' Company “
= English Origins - London Apprenticeship Abstracts  1442-1850

However, the discussion is not over William, But rather about who was his wife.

Was she Elizabeth LEE (as Andrew LEE’s Will claims)  or Was she Elizabeth BATEMAN as per the marriage records. OR Was she both…

I can suggest 2 possibilities.
1) Perhaps Elizabeth LEE had a 1st marriage with a man named BATEMAN  and the marriage to William PELL was a 2nd marriage
I haven’t found a marriage between Elizabeth LEE and unknown BATEMAN
2) Perhaps there really was an Elizabeth BATEMAN and she died and William married again – this time to Elizabeth LEE.
I haven’t found a marriage record between William PELL and Elizabeth LEE/
I have seen a number of instances of quick 2nd marriages where there were children to support.  It could have happened here.

The lack of a marriage record is a problem.

Also, in 1701 there is a Marriage record for William BULL and Elizabeth LEE.  It is remotely possible that William BULL was indeed William PELL or that Elizabeth LEE did, in fact, marry William BULL. 

Personally, I think that the 1st possibility is the more likely – That she was previously married to a man named BATEMAN.
Steve Nethercote

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous message... There was an Elizabeth Bateman baptised in Guilsborough in 1672 who is a good candidate for being the 1st wife...
So perhaps possibility 2 of the previous message is more likely.
Steve

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
Thank you very much for your reply and posing questions.
Have you purchased this Will?

Number   236
First name(s)   William
Last name   PELL
Birth year   -
Year   1728
Place   Guilsborough
Country   England
Type   Inventory
Book or box   loose
Reference   Archdeaconry Court of Northampton:Wills, Administrations and inventories, and accounts
Record set   Northamptonshire And Rutland Probate Index
Category   Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory   Wills & probate
Collections from   Great Britain, England

Here is the wording of Andrew Lee's Will of 1720
Item  I give and bequeath after my death and my wife’s death, forty pounds unto my daughter Elizabeth Pell, the wife of William Pell of Guilsborough, in the County of Northton and to be paid by my Executor after named, in six months after the death of me or my wife Ruth Lee

but she was not to get the money until her mother died (maybe 1728 Rugby) which indicated that she was not in need of the legacy in 1720.

My guess is that Elizabeth Pell died in Watford and buried in Guilsborough. She also had a Will.

Number   05 Apr
First name(s)   Elizabeth
Last name   PELL
Birth year   -
Year   1758
Marital status or occupation   widow
Place   Watford
Country   England
Type   Will
Reference   Archdeaconry Court of Northampton:Wills, Administrations and inventories, and accounts
Record set   Northamptonshire And Rutland Probate Index
Category   Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory   Wills & probate
Collections from   Great Britain, England
Regards,

Keith

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
              I don't have either of those Wills.  Most of my research in this area was done around 2001 and jointly with other people interested in the family.  They had (or have) some Wills that I don't have. I am no longer in contact with them.
Steve

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 18 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve

I have a few more Wills to buy of Lee people around Kilsby and Watford first.
I have an article on Andrew Lee, who may be Elizabeth's brother on the Watford Village site.
As the surname of Elizabeth is not given at the bap of all the chn, then it still remains possible that Wm Pell married Elizabeth Bateman but then the marriage date Oct 1700 may have been after the baptism I found for the boy John Martin Pell Mar 1700. Anyway, there is nothing to say that Elizabeth Bateman did not die as the birth of the second child was 1704 and Wm Pell has married Elizabeth Lee and thus, the following chn have a mother called Elizabeth as well. There were Bateman's over Kilsby way, but this research area of Kilsby is knew to me.

Keith