Author Topic: Guilsorough West Haddon  (Read 4101 times)

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Author of AIKENHEAD, PELL & NETHERCOTE fam history
    • View Profile
Re: Guilsorough West Haddon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 18 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith, As I hope you are aware there were two date systems operating in this time - Legal and Civil.
Legal dates run from 1 Jan to 31 Dec.
Civil dates run from Lady day to Lady Day - so about 28th March to 27th March. 
So a civil date of 17 March 1700 was the same as a legal date of 17 Mar 1701.
So 17 March 1700 was more correctly shown as 17 March 1700/1
from 1755 everybody used the legal date system.
In my record keeping I use legal dates all the way through - its less confusing.  In the notes field I record the civil date.
In legal date terms William and Elizabeth married in Oct 1700 and John Martin was baptised in March 1701.
Baptising a baby 5 months after the marriage may suggest that the marriage was under duress.

"Andrew" is an unusual given name in the Pells of this time.  If Elizabeth Lee replaces Elizabeth Bateman I would suggest that this would probably have happened before Andrew was born.
Steve
PELL: Northants, Leics, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
NETHERCOAT: Northants, Leics, Australia
AIKENHEAD: Forfar, Kincardine
WAYTH: Suffolk, Australia
GUDGEON: Hants, Suffolk, Australia, New Zealand
LANGSFORD: Cornwall, New Zealand, Australia
SLAPP: Suffolk
OSBORNE: Suffolk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 18 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve

To be honest, I did not known exactly the difference and I also came across Lady Day and Andrew Lee's Will started with both nineteen and twenty written
In the name of God Amen, the eight day of January in the fifth year of the Reign of our most gracious Sovereign Lord King George, by the grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King Defender of the faith, and in the year of our Lord God, one thousand, seven hundred and nineteen & twenty.

A number of my ancestors were Quakers; and I know that in some of my research a child was born on the 3rd month called ...... etc.

I am also trying to transcribe an Indenture for Ann Luck in Canterbury 1756, and I was struggling a little like the Feasts of the Nativity of Saint John, the Baptist, St. Michael the Archangel, the birth of our Lord Christ and the Communication of the Blessed Virgin Mary

[the Annunciation of the birth of St. John was the 24th. March and the Feasts may be the 3 month day thereafter, that is, 24 June of each year] or within fourteen days next, after every of the said Feasts]

As my research is taken me further back, transcribing is obviously becoming difficult, although I think that I have got masting fatte as masking vat correcting in this above Will.

Did John Martin Pell have a family? Maybe one of his line may have an answer or two.
If you do look into the possibility of Elizabeth Lee beinthis particular Wm Pell's wife, then I am now trying to see which house in Kilsby her brother John Lee inherited and only a token of 5 shillings.

I have a feeling that the father Andrew and his wife Ruth have moved into the second house, thus handing over the main hall house to the son; thus why my Andrew Lee was inherited much of what was in the second house.

And goods I give to my wife Ruth Lee in my hall house and in the Buttreys in the hall house, one round little table marked with a E and a M and the spites and cob urns for the fat to run upon and the brewing pan and in the Buttrey, one so due fruse and two meale sives and a great round cover to coule drink or do anything else.

compared to
Item I give and bequeathe after my death unto my well beloved wife Ruth Lee, some particulars of my household goods and they are here set down in order as followeth:

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 March 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Steve

Interesting, what is the connection to Andrew's daughter Elizabeth. May be your sought has merit and she was the widow of a man named Bateman, when she married William Pell.

Andrew Lee of Kilsby, on the 4 Nov 1699,  a husbandman/farmer, was a surety for Benjamin Bateman.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Steve
Actual wording
I think the issue is now solved:
Name:   Bateman, Benjamin Elizabeth Bateman Andrew Lee Thomas Cattell William Griffin Andrew Hinde
Dates:   4 Nov 1699
Place:   Guilsborough Kilsby, Northamptonshire, England
Book:   Date. Persons. Burials. (Burial)
Collection:   Northamptonshire: - Administrations, Archdeaconry of Northampton, 1667-1710
Volume:   Northamptonshire Administrations of the Archdeaconry of Northampton 1677-1830
Chapter:   1699
Text:   Bateman, Benjamin, of Guilsborough, tallow-chandler, gt. 04 Nov 1699 to Elizabeth Bateman, of same, widow, the relict. Sureties, Andrew Lee, husbandman, Thomas Cattell, labourer, both of Kilsby. Inv. £106 15s. 10d. taken 25 Oct 1699 by William Griffin, Andrew Hinde. (62)

Keith

Offline nethercs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Author of AIKENHEAD, PELL & NETHERCOTE fam history
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 March 18 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith, yes, it does look rather solved.  Still, I would like to see the probate document.

I am unaware of John Martin PELL having any family.  He was buried at Daventry  on 24 May 1781.  The burial register notes that he was from Guilsborough.

Dates are always interesting.  We tend to regard them as universal.  But, in fact they are an invention and different cultures and countries make their own variants.  In Scotland they went to Legal Dates a lot earlier than England.

Do you have birth/baptismal info for Elizabeth?
Steve

PELL: Northants, Leics, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
NETHERCOAT: Northants, Leics, Australia
AIKENHEAD: Forfar, Kincardine
WAYTH: Suffolk, Australia
GUDGEON: Hants, Suffolk, Australia, New Zealand
LANGSFORD: Cornwall, New Zealand, Australia
SLAPP: Suffolk
OSBORNE: Suffolk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 March 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
No, I do not have the bp for Elizabeth Lee (my guess c1678 , John Lee guess c1680 nor Andrew Lee c. 1687 the Younger).
Last night, I paid for the Will of John Lee, a yeoman of Kilsby 1748, who I hope will be Elizabeth's brother.
I already have Andrew Lee, the Younger, d. 1735 of Watford, the younger brother. He mentions a brother John Lee of Kilsby and an uncle John Lee of Watford in his Will. He first wrote his Will in 1722, that would have been after his first wife died Elizabeth Manning  of Milton Malsor, as he inherited her family property, so I suppose he was then making sure that it went to son John Manning Lee, my next ancestor. In my Rees lines, Manning and Lee get to become middles names everywhere, including my daughter Ana Lee Rees some 200 years later.

I helped an English relation do a project 2 years ago to mark his company's 350 years anniversary, if he had called it: 350 years Alexander Manning to George Manning Rees to Alexander Rees, his ancestry, we would have won instead of a second place.

I also paid for the Will of John Lee of Watford, died 1727, who I suspect will be Uncle John, that is, Andrew Lee, the Elder of Kilsby's brother.

I may now have your email address; however, I will not send my transcription of Andrew's Will until you give me permission to contact you by email. That is the way, I try to remain ethical.
Regards,

Keith Rees

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
A new piece of information, taken from  Murray Johnston's book this year: The Watford Knight's Fee  The Manors of Medieval Watford, Northamptonshire ....
The book transcribes an Indenture dated 11 Frb 1696, the sellers being Dame Dorothy Francklin, nee Clerke, and her husband and sisters..
John Lee acquires messuage or tenement and Close or homestead; three yardlands of land. I have interpreted this to be Lot 35 and about 27 acres, just south of Watford village, and known to be the Lee freehold land. This John Lee  will be the uncle of Elizabeth Lee (Mrs. Bateman) and then Mrs. William Pell (d. 1757).
This John Lee had no children, so Elizabeth Pell's brother Andrew Lee (d. 1737) inherited this land and it was passed onto his son John Manning Lee (d.1777), and then John Lee (d. 1802) and his wife Alice Abbey.
Now the point of interest concerning the Pell family
On p. 238, Murray writes that By 1805, after Reeve died (another local farmer), the netherend farm was occupied by John Pell .....
It looks like Alice Lee, the widow of John Lee has asked John Pell to help her run the farm. Thus, most likely John Pell was a cousin of her deceased husband, maybe one of the boys from the Daventry family of Pells, which was not too distant.
Alice Lee died in 1807, then as per her husband's wishes, the children of David Rees get their hands on the land. David Rees had married two of John Lee's half sisters. It stayed in Rees hands until 1841.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
Purchased Will of Elizabeth Pell 1758.
Daughters named as Elizabeth Smith of Welton (Thomas); Keziah Tebbutt of Coaton/Coton (John); and Mary Hearne of Guilsborough (John). Andrew Pell, the son died; however his widow Elizabeth was left 3 pounds; John Martin Pell alive as was brother William Pell, tall chandler in Guildsborough.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 August 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Found some possibilities for Kezia Pell or Mrs. John Tebbet in Coaten, near Guilsborough. Would like to see if you had more descendants farming near Coaten, just out of Guilsborough.
Her death: Kezey Tebut, widow of Coaten bd. 20 Aug 1772 Guilsbourough.Husband John Tebut, the Elder of Coaten bd. 23 Jun 1763 Guilsborough.
Children:
1. John Tebbot bp. 19 Jul 1738; buried 26 Feb 1739 of Coton
2. John Tebbet bp. 22 Nov 1741 Ravensthorpe????? m. 13 Feb 1769 Martha Johnston of Guilsborough.
1771 Militia List farmer of Coton
3. Elizabeth Tebutt bp. 15 Nov 1747 of Coaton, bp. Ravensthorpe

John Tebbett and Martha may have had chn:
  1. William Tebbett bp. 22 Apr 1774 Guilsborought; buried 3 May 1774 Guilsborough
  2. Samuel Tebbett bp. 8 May 1775 Guilsborough
  3. Martha Tebbett  bp. 27 Jun 1780 Guilsborough

Any assistance most welcomed.
I can confirm that Mrs. Elizabeth Pell, Kezia's mother was in Watford when she wrote her Will 9 Apr 1752. She was buried 30 Nov 1757 Guilsborough. Her Will was proved 5 Apr 1758 Watford.
Her nephew John Manning Lee and her niece Elizabeth Lee lived in Watford  at the time she wrote her Will, with John Lee and another relative John Andrew as her executors.