Author Topic: montrose royal lunatic asylum  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: montrose royal lunatic asylum
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 March 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Is Montrose Royal Lunatic Asylum the same as Sunnyside Asylum?

Yes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Carrie-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 October 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
You can apply for special permission for access to the records prior to the deadline of a hundred years.  Was able to access records of great uncle who died in the 1970s, but I did have original copies of requests regarding his original admission in 1930s.  Not all records will still exist however.  If you just want a reason for admission and a diagnosis and a general overview they may release the information without giving you access to the complete file.  Good luck.

Offline riogirl71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 March 15 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Is Montrose Royal Lunatic Asylum the same as Sunnyside Asylum? I had a relative die there in 1871, contacted them as there is a museum of psychiatry there and received a photocopy of the case notes. A friend who is a psychiatrist read the notes and suggested that he probably died of meningitis and was not mad at all! Hope this helps.

Harrow - How did you contact them? I saw they closed :( I would like to do the same - thank you!

Offline ozzie mel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 06:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get very basic info regarding my grandfather who was admitted in1923 and died there in 1972. As I am next of kin his wife and children are deceased I would like to know why he was admitted. Hoping someone out there has some ideas.
Pease Warwick
Williams Llanbister
Maclachlan Islay & Glasgow
Campbell Islay

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
There might be some problems with that because most hospital and asylum records are normally closed for 100 years.

I do not know whether there is flexibility to allow close family members access to more recent records, or where the information might help to establish a family pattern of a particular ailment which might be relevant to the diagnosis and treatment of living relatives.

Start with NHS Tayside Archives, which are held at the University of Dundee
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/thecollections/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 13:25 BST (UK) »
The rules regarding access to medical records (especially those relating to mental health) can be confusing.  In general, adult patient records are closed for 75 years following the date of death, while those of minors are closed for 100 years.  If it can't be proven when someone died, then records will remain closed for 100 years.

Some archives have procedures in place for accessing records within those times, and will make decisions on a case-by-case basis.  You'll need to see what procedures NHS Tayside have in place for their records which are held by the University of Dundee Archives.  The Archives will be able to advise you on how to go about requesting access.

Offline ozzie mel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 June 15 02:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help. Sad to say NHS Tayside are sticking to the 100 year rule which is unfortunate as 2 g.g.grandchildren have medical issues that may relate to their g.g.grandfather condition. As I am in Australia it is very hard to speak with Tayside personally :-[
Pease Warwick
Williams Llanbister
Maclachlan Islay & Glasgow
Campbell Islay