Author Topic: Frederick  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Avril3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick
« on: Saturday 12 March 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I would love to find out more about the birth and early life of my 3g grandfather FREDERICK WIGNEY.

He was probably born in 1820/1821 somewhere in Northumberland, maybe at Preston, North Shields, although that is by no means certain.

He married Eliza Reed at Tynemouth Christ Church on 20 March 1851, but only states of full age and of this parish so no help there. 

His father is given as WILLIAM WIGNEY, a maltster, and I have been unable to find out any more about him either, and although there was a family of Wigneys who were brewers in Brighton I have not been able to make a connection there.

Frederick was a mariner, but in 1856 he travelled to Australia on the “Heather Belle” as part of the South Australian gold rush, and I have copies of letters he sent home to his wife.  He eventually died in 1902 in Maldon, Victoria.

The only census I have found him on in 1851 Scotland, where he and Eliza are staying with her brother William Reed and his wife Elspeth at Annan.  His age is given as 30, but I have some evidence that he lied about his age in Australia so I don’t know how accurate that age is.   I assume he was at sea for other censuses and was not listed.

I have searched through parish records and BTs for Christ Church from 1817 - 1824 trying to find his birth but drawn a complete blank.

Can anyone out there offer any other information?
DODDS, North Northumberland
JOWSEY, Northumberland
ARNOTT, Northumberland
CAIN, North Shields and Hampshire
WIGNEY
PATTERSON, North Shields
SHARP, Northumberland
PLETTS,Northumberland
HART, Northumberland
CHRISTIE, Northumberland

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 March 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you got a copy of Frederick's death certificate from Victoria?  Most Australian states have very informative death records though of course it as always depends on who supplied the info and what they knew.

See here:

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Family+history?OpenDocument&1=60-Family+history~&2=~&3=~

If that link is too long just google for Victoria Australia historical death records.

Looks as if you can purchase a scan of an uncertified image of the record, all on-line - instant gratification!

Good luck,

Matilda

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 11 20:14 GMT (UK) »
1852 they are living in South Shields,

image 236/638 BT South Shields,

September the 12th William John Frederick Wigney son of Frederick and Eliza of South Shields, father a mariner,born July 17th

He may have been home again in 1855 as Eliza is baptised May the 6 th 1855,born 28 th February South Shields
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 March 11 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi - it's an unusual surname. If you wanted to rule out, or in, the banking and brewing Wigneys of Brighton, they are well represented among the  PCC wills: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c8g/

Otherwise, there is a Willam Wigney who seemsto be running a pub in Huddersfield in the 1820s, eg here: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/17858/pages/1630 (second line).
Regards
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 March 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
One of the Brighton Wigneys was called Frederick too - not all that common a forename at the time: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22010/pages/2082

Offline Avril3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 March 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all,
I already have the information about the birth of William John Frederick and Eliza Annie (my ancestor) from St Hilda’s South Shields parish registers.
The Brighton link seems to be a dead end, I can find no link at all.  The Frederick mentioned as a bankrupt in the London Gazette also went to Australia and set up a printing business there which is quite well documented but alas he is not my Frederick.   There was also a Frederick Russell Wigney born in Brighton around the right time, but he is not mine either.
I have been in contact with several people researching the Wigney family both here and in Australia, and none of us can make any connection between my lot and Brighton.  Most of the Brighton lot left the country and emigrated to North America and Australia as their businesses (mainly banking and brewing) collapsed.  It would appear that the Brighton branch most likely originated in the north of England, probably Yorkshire.
Frederick was in fact a bigamist.  He married Elizabeth Middlemiss in 1860 in Sandy Creek, and they went on to have 7 or 8 children.  I have a copy of his marriage certificate, and his signature on there matches perfectly with that on his letters to his first wife Eliza, so we definitely have the same guy.  We have no letters from him after 1858.  Eliza continued to live in North Shields until she died in 1899, there was no divorce, and on census records she is listed as married until 1891 when she is a widow.  I wonder what she thought? Probably that Frederick had been lost at sea or died in the goldfields.  There are no family stories that I know of, maybe he wasn’t talked about!
He gave his name on the second marriage certificate as Frederick Reed Wigney (First wife Eliza Reed) and stated that he was a bachelor – naughty!  He also gave his age in 1860 as 29 years, which does not tally, his father’s name as William Wigney, butcher, and his mother as Elizabeth Reed – co-incidence???
I also have a copy of his death registration.  This states that in 1902 he was 83 years old, and the son of William Wigney, butcher, and Elizabeth Reed, which is at least consistent.  His place of birth was given as Preston, Northumberland.  I also have a copy of his obituary from his local newspaper, and he appears to have become a model citizen. If only they knew…
There are a couple of possible Williams, one in Manchester St Ann, baptised 11 Jan 1786, and others in Yorkshire.  No definite links with any of them.
So you can see I know quite a lot about his later life but nothing at all before his marriage in 1851, or anything about his parents William and (maybe) Elizabeth Reed.  He seems to have been quite a character, and I would love to have met him, but he was not always truthful, which makes research even more difficult.
If anyone can offer any ideas or any information I’d be delighted.
Avril
DODDS, North Northumberland
JOWSEY, Northumberland
ARNOTT, Northumberland
CAIN, North Shields and Hampshire
WIGNEY
PATTERSON, North Shields
SHARP, Northumberland
PLETTS,Northumberland
HART, Northumberland
CHRISTIE, Northumberland

Offline nbourkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril3,
Frederick Reed Wigney was also my ancestor and I've just started researching about him as well. I'm an Australian descendant from his second marriage (although I have his second wife's name as Janet Middlemiss on my records). It was very interesting to read what you had written there. You said you had copies of his letters to his first wife, I would love to see these. Would you be able to share these with me or tell me how I may access them?
Locations: Australia, UK & Ireland
Bourke (Tipperary), Loveday (Essex), Wigney, Wride (Bristol), McLucas (Isle of Mull), Wallwork, Owens (County Cavan), Grist, Pettitt, Parkes, Peachman, Milton (London), Johnson, Cook, Jeyne (Welsh border?), Bayman, Connolly, Spence

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Avril3

Have you tried looking in the A-Z Name folders at North Shields local studies?  You never know - there maybe more to be found in there.  Researchers such as the staff and family historians put info into these.  I have often found these folders to be a great resource.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Frederick Wigney was a mariner - he was not in the Royal Navy so searched Merchant Navy records on FindMyPast and found:

Frederick Wigney - born Halifax, Yorkshire -birthdate 13/3/1818.

Height 5' 7", Hair Dark Brown, Complexion Fair, Eyes Hazel.

Cannot find a birth for him BUT a William and Hannah had children baptised between 1821 and 1838 (the only Wigney's in Halifax baptising children at the time - they'd previously been some earlier baptisms but in Halifax Wesleyan church to an Edward and Betty):

Martha bp.26/8/1821 Halifax, Yorkshire
Sarah born 3/4/1825, not baptised until 18/3/1838 Halifax
Hannah bp.5/7/1829 Halifax
Mary Ann bp.6/1/1833 Halifax

Since Merchant Navy Frederick Wigney is said to have been born in Halifax 1818 and 'your' Frederick, mariner, shown bc.1821 in 1851 Scotland Census I feel sure this is the same person.

If the 1818 date is correct (may have been slightly inflated to enable him to join the merchant navy) and born in Halifax surely he can only be the son of William Wigney and wife Hannah?

This William Wigney was, however, a cordwainer/shoemaker, and didn't marry wife Hannah until 1820:

William Wigney and Hannah Hitchen 3/7/1820 Halifax (both shown to be of that parish).

Cannot find a baptism for Frederick under Wigney or Hitchen though.

In 1841 Hannah Wigney is living with her daughters in Halifax and 1851 (a widow) with married daughter Martha (now Ibbotson) - Hannah died in 1855.   I don't know if Hannah was already a widow in 1841 but cannot find a likely burial/death for husband William.   Perhaps he did a runner too?

Hannah Hitchen bp.5/1/1794 Halifax, dau. of Joseph

Cannot find a likely baptism for William Wigney in Yorkshire (of 2 possibilities one was a farmer and married to someone else and the other was unmarried).

So, still more questions than answers but feel sure that merchant navy Frederick Wigney and mariner Frederick Wigney are the same person.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk