Author Topic: FORREST family / Scotland  (Read 23242 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Re: FORREST family / Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 June 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have one Forrest in my tree at the moment. She's not actually related to me, her daughter was my great-grandfather's first wife, but I thought I'd share in case her info is of use to you. Plus, while I'm 99% sure she's the mother of my great-grandfather's first wife, it'd be nice to see if you've got her on your website so I can double-check.

Anyway, I have a Catherine Forrest married to a William Nimmo in Blythswood, Lanark (abt 1857). I don't have any dates for their births but their son, William, was born about 1858. Following children were Elizabeth (abt 1860) and Catherine McInnes (abt 1862). Catherine McInnes married James Alexander (1869 - 1921). Either before or after the marriage, together or separately, the pair moved from Scotland to Ireland, specifically Londonderry. In Londonderry they had a daughter, Catherine Forrest Alexander, born about 1902. Catherine McInnes died the same year, either in childbirth or shortly afterwards.

Hopefully I haven't confused my Catherine McInnes's parents with another Nimmo/Forrest couple, but it seemed unlikely that it was a coincidence, with her daughter's middle name being Forrest.

Are they in your tree at all?
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
I am researching my MAIN family and am interested in the Forrests that farmed at Meadowhead farm: William Main/ Mary Forrest, married 1785; William Wylie/ Janet Forrest, married 1812 (Janet born 1791, Meadowhead to William Forrest/ Margaret Russell). I have a will of Mary Main, daughter of William Main and Mary Forrest who died in 1872 at Meadowhead, in which she leaves bequests to a number of individuals that I am researching.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline dobelove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 November 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, Our family who came from the Hamilton area of Lanarkshire had a Rebecca Forrest who was married to John Park (farm servant) and her sister a Christina Forrest who was married to James Wilson (miner). John and Rebecca had a son John and James and Christina had a daughter Isabella,so, John and Isabella got married 9th nov. 1866 (even although they were cousins) One of their children was my great gran Christina Park and she married James Conn and they had two girls Margaret and Sarah and Sarah was my gran who died in 1980 in Hamilton. My gran Sarah was married to Sir Harry Lauder's (music hall entertainer) first born son James Reid. Harry Lauder and Margaret Stevenson Reid were only both about 17 when James (my grandfather) was born, but although they kept in touch, they did'nt marry. The Lauder and the Reid/Conn/Park/Forrest family kept in touch until their deaths. Most of our family still live in the Hamilton and Wishaw area. I was told that the Forrest family are also related to the Wotherspoon family and the Fleming family but have'nt researched that further as I'm not all that great at researching. Kind regards Christine.

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 November 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Dave,

I've recently come across another Forrest in my family tree, this time one I'm actually related to. If my research is correct, her name is Ann Forrest and she married one Archibald Alexander, probably in the Uddingston area. Their son, John, was born and baptised 1805, but I have a feeling they had children before and after him. I haven't found much more for them but if they fit with your Forrests, I'd be happy to share what I have.

All the best.
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline dobelove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 November 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Dave,

I've recently come across another Forrest in my family tree, this time one I'm actually related to. If my research is correct, her name is Ann Forrest and she married one Archibald Alexander, probably in the Uddingston area. Their son, John, was born and baptised 1805, but I have a feeling they had children before and after him. I haven't found much more for them but if they fit with your Forrests, I'd be happy to share what I have.

All the best.
        Hi there, hope you find out a bit more about the Forrest family that is related to you, if you think any of them fit in with my family I would love to know. Kind regards Christine.

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 November 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I and my wife Margaret Helen Miller (nee Forrest) are researching my wife's Forrest Ancestry.  We have got as far back as James Forrest born we think in Northumberland in 1758 Baptized 21 May 1758 at St. Lawrence church, Warkworth, Northumberland, England. James married married Hannah Richardson (born in Berwick Northumberland) in Warkworth, Northumberland on 16 Jun 1793. We think James father was John Forrest and he and his ancestors may have been Scottish.

Do you have any links to Forrest's in Northumberland.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline dobelove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, No links with Northumberland as far as I know. Good luck with your research. Kind regards Christine.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 March 13 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,
This is long overdue.  However, I'm gradually getting back into the swing of researching again and have updated my tree with quite a few more lines.
Some of the info I've gleaned from you on this thread.
I haven't studied the details from ALL of you yet, but I will do.
I'm trying to 'do' people in the order they contacted me and I'm juggling between this forum and contacts that have been made from other sources.
I WILL get around to looking at everything, but as you all know, it can be very time consuming.

Feel free to request an invite to my site if you wish to have a look at the Forrests I have so far.  Request can be sent here.... http://daval57.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=daval57&view=72&ver=6670&ssts=1

Christine (dobelove), I was just having a quick look at your posts before I log off for tonight.  Do you happen to have dates of birth (even roughly) for Rebecca and Christine, and perhaps their father and/or mothers name?  I don't have them on my site, but I have other data I can check.   

Thanks to everyone so far for your input.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know  Heather Forrest who looks after the the Forrest family free on My Heritage?  I am not on that site but would very much like to get in touch re her tree .
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD