Author Topic: german lookup - Brauer Alexander to Australia  (Read 2720 times)

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
german lookup - Brauer Alexander to Australia
« on: Sunday 13 March 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
g'day all,

seeking more information on this family for their german roots and possible relationship to my brauer family please.

Brauer, Alexander, ncqld3
    * b. ABT 1852, Preussen.
    * d. 24 Jul 1920, 68 age, Sydney, 10152/1920, NSW, Aus.
    * e. Immigration: 2 Oct 1897, aged 38, dep` on `Duke of Westminster`
    * e. Burial: 25 Jul 1920, Rookwood Jewish cem`, Rookwood, Syd, NSW. Aus.

married: ABT 1870, Preussen.

to: Rozendorn(Brauer), Rachel/Ruchla Leah/Leia
    * b. ABT 1842, Lowicz, Poland.
    * d. 11 Oct 1914, 72 age, QHI 1914/C003374, Aus.
    * e. Burial: 13 Oct 1914, Toowong Cem`, Bris, Qld, Aus.

Rachel's parent: Rozendorn, Izak/Iciek, b. EST 1817, Poland.

they had 3 children that we know of all born in germany.

tia

len brauer
Brauer, Eggersdorff, Sommer, Christoffell, Dreyer, Weyer, Kruse & Altmann Prussia/Germany/Australia/Queensland/USA.

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
Re: german lookup - Brauer Alexander to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
g'day again,

rachel too is interred in the jewish section of toowong cemetery.

would this request be better placed into a jewish thread? if there is one?

len
Brauer, Eggersdorff, Sommer, Christoffell, Dreyer, Weyer, Kruse & Altmann Prussia/Germany/Australia/Queensland/USA.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Len,

I'm afraid researching German roots is more difficult than in the UK.  Even if the church books have been filmed they're not published to the web and you either have to visit the archives or write to the archives for a quotation for them to look through their records for you.  It will be especially difficult researching the Prussian ancestor because you possibly don't know the village/town.

Have you tried this database ?

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just in case you dont know the Jewish Section at Rookwood has a wonderful grave search on the internet, they have all details with photos of the graves.

Cass

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
g'day cass & rena,

yes rookwood does have a good range of pic's though the ones for alexander are pretty much unreadable.

rena, i did try researchig jewish sitesnot sure if i found that one you posted but i will look at it later.

do jewish people ever adopt their hebrew names in prefference to their birth names?

the 3 sons we know have pretty much dissapeared from any records we can search.

len

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Len,

Do you know from which town your own Brauer familiy originated?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

do jewish people ever adopt their hebrew names in prefference to their birth names?

For several centuries, Jewish children have received a secular name as well as a Hebrew (or sacred) name. Boys are given their Hebrew name at the time of their circumcision, 8 days after birth.

The sacred name was for use in the synagogue and other religious contexts. It would never have been used in a secular context.

Does this answer your question?

Justin

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
g'day justin,

what i mean is and hey i am not that familiar with jewish procedures, take a look at alexander he has a hebrew or jewish name given to him, ok? so the question was do jewish people ever adopt using their hebrew name above using their birth names?? i can't think of any other way of asking the question, like german's at least add in and drop out christening names at will, that is why we have so much difference in recorded christian names.

as i can find nothing of alexanders 3 sons in australia might they have changed their names to their hebrew/jewish names? then that poses another question.

my brauer family come from a variety of locations; wollin, brandenburg, uckermark mostly lots in the brandenburg, uckermark area, seeulebe (spelling?).

len

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 March 11 07:48 BST (UK) »
what i mean is and hey i am not that familiar with jewish procedures, take a look at alexander he has a hebrew or jewish name given to him, ok? so the question was do jewish people ever adopt using their hebrew name above using their birth names?? i can't think of any other way of asking the question, like german's at least add in and drop out christening names at will, that is why we have so much difference in recorded christian names.

as i can find nothing of alexanders 3 sons in australia might they have changed their names to their hebrew/jewish names? then that poses another question.

my brauer family come from a variety of locations; wollin, brandenburg, uckermark mostly lots in the brandenburg, uckermark area, seeulebe (spelling?).

Hi Len,

ever thought of Alexander possibly having changed denomination (christian>jewish) shortly before marrying a Jewish girl and thus received his jewish name?

Cause as far as I know BRAUER is not an original Jewish surname other than ROSENDORN.

As to the 3 sons:
Lev (Lewis), Abraham & Samuel are of hebrew origin already and as they were/are moreover favourite names with certain Christian denominations as well, there would really be no need to change those at all, I'd assume.

The spelling in question might read Seelübbe about 12 km (roughly 9 miles) from Wollin close to Lake Unteruckersee.

Rgds,
Gisela

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
g'day giselap,

yes had thought that alexander may have changed so he could marry a jewish girl, certianly not many brauer's who are jew's. i see what you mean about the boys christian names but might they have changed to their hebrew names written in hebrew? it's a long shot, just trying to find any history on the boys at all.

len