Author Topic: Museum at Mercer in the Waikato (Completed)  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Valdor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Museum at Mercer in the Waikato (Completed)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 August 13 06:06 BST (UK) »
The Mercer museum is near the cheese shop and it is open Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10.00am until 2.00pm

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 August 13 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Valdor :D

Welcome to Rootschat. :)  Thanks for the opening hours :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 September 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
I still haven't been in for a look, it's on the list! ... very easy to find though, directly opposite the cheese shop and beside the fire station  :)

Offline boatknut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I grew up in Mercer, knew the whole Fatt family. Sydney Fatt-married Maggie Lucy Kelly. 4 children-- Sydney James-Ruby-Margaret-William Henry.
SYD.JNR -M-Phyllis Shutz
Ruby -m-(can't remember)
Margaret--m-Clive Alphors
Wm.H.-m-Pat ??from Pokeno.
The house now a museum was built by Arthur Glass and bought by Syd. snr. early 30's He worked at Rooses sawmill for many years.  Syd. jnr was the baker. I lived for many years in the old Kelly homestead on what is now Kellyville road.Kellyville was the area as two Kelly bros had adjoining properties, they both worked on the railways, I know one was a guard. Clive Alphors had the taxi at Horotiu.(freezing works)My g/father bought the Kelly farm facing Mercer in 1935, we sold it 1975
to Allan MacIntyre.

Offline boatknut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi folks again, Syd. Fatt snr had two brothers , James. K.I.A.in France WW1 born Kohu Kohu and Steve. He also worked in R.S.C. mill. His wife was "Lizzie ?" and they had 4 children
Joyce-June-Irene and Jim named after his late uncle. He and Liz. retired to Bayly's Beach. We always called on them when up that way. I last saw Jim and his son Steve out at Karaka shortly before he passed away.           
    regards ray

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 June 15 05:08 BST (UK) »
Good local knowledge there Ray for those working out connections.

Have been past museum many times since it opened, a bit early for opening hours yesterday  :)

Papakura Historical Society are including it as part of their bus trip Saturday 27th this month, perhaps I should tag along if there's room for a non member  :-\

Offline morganritzau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:32 GMT (UK) »
As said above, the museum is in the old Fatt house along side the gunboat turret. went there a couple of years ago with my uncle Bryan Kelly, the youngest son of Reg Kelly. 
My Grandfather was Reg Kelly a brother who lived in the Kellyville Rd house, suspect from the stories told, the house on the river side of the road at the top of the hill where the road swings left (use street view). we know the house was at the top of the hill because told a story of how Irene died giving child birth and the night was made more dreadful by having to take her down the hill to the main road in a savage storm to meet the doctor's horse and cart. My mothers second name was Irene.
Reg went to WW1 got typhus going to war and went to England to recover never went to France, Reg told a story from the war, he had a hospital mate who had lost his stomach muscles and together they toured England and Ireland by train dressed in Hospital overalls and when picked up by the police the mate showed his stomach and the police would put on the next train. Reg never went back to the farm after returning as the family took a dim view of him going to war. Reg ended up running a motor garage on new North rd Mt. Albert. I understand The farm was run by Roy (maybe older brother) who lost his first wife and child in an explosion caused by warming dynamite on the kitchen stove, the dynamite was for removing tree stumps.
Bob Morgan   

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Lost count of the number of times I've gone on by now, a dozen or so a year at least but usually on another mission.

Additional Kelly family detail will be useful for Kiwi Terrier with your stories there Bob.

:) mare