Author Topic: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth  (Read 18187 times)

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth
« on: Sunday 13 March 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather was the Rev John Cockin who was minister at the Lane Independent Chapel at Holmfirth for 43 years from 1806-1849. Although he died in Halifax, he asked to be buried at Holmfirth and the newspaper report of his funeral confirms that he was.

I've discovered that the church is no longer used, but does anyone know if the graveyard is still there? I can't find much about the church - any info about it would be most welcome as I'd love to go and try to find his grave.

I'm hoping that his wife (Abigail Maria nee Kirby)is also buried with him - the only mention I can find of historical documents from the chapel refers to baptisms (Huddersfield District Family Society) so I don't know where to go next.

Any help gratefully received!

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Correction - I'm getting my Cockins mixed up! John's wife was Mary nee Bovingdon (his son Joseph was married to Abigail Maria).

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 11 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have only seen baptisms for the Holmfirth Lane chapel but a lot of the nonconformist registers are missing so they could have had burials. They did burials at the Holmfirth Wesleyan and they started in 1849 or a lot of chapel goers were buried in the main church.
You could try the Huddersfield Libraries Local History department, more records are being made available all the time and they might be able to help

regrads
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking the chapel was actually in Upperthong?
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
You may have already seen this, but The Rev Cockin is mentioned a couple of times in the Annals of the Church and Parish of Almondbury, available to read online.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/charles-augustus-hulbert/annals-of-the-church-and-parish-of-almondbury-yorkshire-blu/page-34-annals-of-the-church-and-parish-of-almondbury-yorkshire-blu.shtml

Sandra

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very  much, all of you - I'm glad to know I wasn't just being feeble not finding the burial records! I'll get in touch with the library and see if they know anything.

The church seems to have been in Upperthong Lane - do you know if the graveyard is still there? If so, is it possible to visit and search?

Thanks also for the link Sandra - yes, I had seen it. He is mentioned in several ecclesiastical papers, one I discovered last week which said his wife was of Huguenot descent, a fact I didn't know. It also said his son Joseph was "a great reformer of land laws" and a soldier at Woolwich, which again is the first mention I've come across - obviously lots more research to do!

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
The Chapel is indeed in Upperthong Lane. Some parts of the graveyard remain but are fenced off. I seem to recall that access is possible, but can't remember the details.
Ask perhaps at the Tourist Info. Office in Holmfirth.
Also, St John's Church is further up road with big graveyard.

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - very helpful info.

I've contacted both the Holmfirth Tourist Office and Huddersfield Family History Society to see if anyone can help. If I can find out where the grave is likely to be, we can come over one weekend and have a search around - hoping access is allowed!