Author Topic: Rhoscolyn Lifeboat  (Read 39491 times)

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhoscolyn Lifeboat
« on: Tuesday 15 March 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Have limited information from the Internet about a lifeboat tradgedy off Llanddwyn beach in December 1920. The Rhoscolyn lifeboat in an attempt to help the steamship"Timbo" sadly lost five crew members. Amongst the drowned men were distant members of my family.
I believe them to be decendants of my G.G.G.Grandfather Hugh Hughes (1789 - 1882) who lived at a house called Cymyran on the outskirts of Llanfihanghel yn Nhowyn.
Hugh and most male decendants of his family worked as Boatmen or Fishermen in the same community from 1841 to at least 1920.
I suspect that this family could have been associated with the Rhoscolyn Lifeboat for several generations, so my Question is - can anyone guide me to any literature on the history of this
Lifeboat Station

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rhoscolyn Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Have you seen the anglesey-hidden gem.com web site?

Lifeboat was Ramon Cabrera and the pages show pictures of the graves.

The Anglesey Association established the Rhoscolyn Lifeboat in 1830 and the web site cemaes-bay.co.uk/mli/rhoscolyn_lifeboat.htm has a few more details and a picture of the boat.

Maybe a call to Holyhead RNLI may give more details on the stations history

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Eric,

Just found a book -

Anglesey Lifehouses and Lifeboats by Margaret Hughes - published in 2004

(On web site carreg-gwalch.com)

It includes 35 b&w photos.

Alan

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There is an extensive report in the "Times" concerning this tragedy.
Two of the men lost from the lifeboat were named as Evan Hughs and his brother Richard John Hughs. Their father Edward Hughs was also onboard but was saved.
As I understand it, Rhoscolyn lifeboat station was closed in 1929. The suggestion you contact the RNLI at Holyhead would seem the way to go.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Eric,

There is also background information in the book Ships and Seamen of Anglesey by Aled Eames - There is a chapter there on "Anglesey Wrecks and Rescues", with various referenced material should you wish to pursue it in more depth.

The principally used lifeboat was designed by George Palmer.

Let me know by e-mail if you wish to consult this book

Alan

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, clearly there are avenues to follow. Will certainly search out the books and newspaper reports mentioned, as well as contacting the RNLI at Holyhead.
Tall All and I are distant cousins who found each other via family tree searches - thanks for your pointers - hope to meet up soon
To Seaweed, thank you in particular for pointing out that Edward Hughes (father of the drowned brothers was also on board that day) - I was not aware of this, but helps to confirm my suspicion that the Hughes family from Cymyran were indeed quite heavily involved with Rhoscolyn Lifeboat.
Found a good photo of the Lifeboat crew on the Internet, including two with the Hughes surname, but since there is no date for the photo - unable to possibly put faces to names.
Am looking forward to learning more, thanks again

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm told the RNLI Heritage Trust may be of help.

RNLI Heritage Trust,
Royal National Lifeboat Institution,
West Quay Road,
Poole,
Dorset BH15 1HZ.

Telephone
08451 226999

heritage@rnli.org.uk
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Intend writing to the RNLI Heritage Trust this comming week end. Thanks for the address.

Have just read the book "Anglesey Lighthouses and Lifeboats". Although only a brief chapter on Rhoscolyn, it mentions two silver medals awarded to coxwain Hugh Hughes in the late 1800's. Have yet to prove that he is a family member - but fairly optimisic.

To anyone interested in my quest for more info. on the Rhoscolyn Lifeboat community I have to share a personal message, received this morning via Roots Chat. It directed me to a newspaper article written in Otago, New Zealand in April 1866 . The article explains in some detail the bravery of the Rhoscolyn community in the rescue of crew and cargoe of the ship Palinurus off Cymyran Bay. Yet again six local men were lost, amongst them 20 year old Thomas Hughes.
To read the story, use the Google search engine as follows,
Papers Past Otago Witness
Upon entering this web page enter Rhoscolyn into the search engine and should see "Wreck of a vessel and loss of six lives"

Offline olddear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 July 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Have just joined this forum today and seen your comments about the 'Cymyran' family. 
The two brothers who drowned were Evan Hughes  32 years old and Richard John Hughes 17 years old. They were my Nain's brothers. My mother told the story many times how they came to tell her (Nain) of the tragedy. I grew up with the story of the tragedy when I visited Nain in the holidays. Yes, their Father, Edwards Hughes,  was also on board the lifeboat, he sustained a broken leg and other injuries. 
On 12 November 1922 a granite memorial to the five Lifeboat crewmen who drowned was uncovered by Sir Richard Williams Bulkeley in Rhosgolyn Churchyard.  Hope this is of some help to you.