Author Topic: Rhoscolyn Lifeboat  (Read 39532 times)

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhoscolyn Lifeboat
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thankyou olddear and welcome to Roots Chat, your facts tie in with my family tree details.

Have unravelled quite a lot about the Hughes family from Cymyran and their association with the Rhoscolyn Lifeboat thanks to other Roots Chat members, the RNLI Archives department and a very helpful member of the nearby Trearddur Bay Lifeboat Station.

Visited Anglesey twice this year, found the memorial at St Gwenfaen Church in Rhoscolyn, and on the second visit after several wrong turnings eventually arrived at the delightful Cymyran Bay. Although unable to find the old family home - refered to as Cymyran in the 1841 - 1891 census - there were some ruins next to a private house close to the beach - wonder if they were remains of the old cottages ?

My family tree shows that the two brothers lost during the tradgedy had three sisters - so presumably your Nain was one of them - would love to find more about her and her siblings if you have the knowledge. Will contact you through the private channel.

Offline olddear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 July 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
The family home Cymyran is through the gate and quite a way down the path. Right on the waters edge. I think it is a holiday home now. Plas Cymyran is the big house. Nain's name was Ellen  - there was also a Maggie and a Winnie and I am sure there was another sister. Can find out from a relative the name of the whole family is you are interested. Having been brought up with the full knowledge of the Hughes family - I have always been interested in the History of the Lifeboat.  Cheers.

Offline JOOLSGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just joined chat today and noticed your post today about the Hughes Family which are my husband's decendants but I'm a bit puzzled !
My father in law William Titus Jones Hughes was Winnie's brother, there was also another brother called Evan Hughes who lived in Scilly Isles and a sister called Jane who married and moved to Gaerwen, Anglesey to live.  What's puzzling me is the name Ellen and Maggie can you enlighten me as my F-in-L never mentioned them but he wasn't very forthcoming with information on the family.
If you need any more on the Hughes' from my husbands connection get back to me.  :)

Offline JOOLSGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
There's a book called Holy Island Ynys Cybi by J C Davies and John Rowlands, page 38 & 39 is all about the Rhoscolyn Lifeboat disaster.  There is a photo on page 39 showing the memorial in St Gwynfaen church as you look at the photo to the right of the memorial you can just see two young boys, these were Evan Hughes and William Titus Hughes the nephews of the two Hughes that lost their lives during the rescue.

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 July 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Joolsgreen,

Thanks for mentioning the book - will seek it out.

Good to discover new members of the family, were William Titus Jones and Jane born after 1911 ?

My family tree for this section of the Hughes family from Cymyran as follows

Parents :  Edward Hughes (1863 - 1930) and his wife Mary Owens (1861 - 1935 )
Children : Edward W. Hughes (1885 - )  Mary J. Hughes (1887 - )  Evan Hughes (1890 - 1920)  Owen Hughes (1892 - )  Ellen Hughes (1894 - 1969)  Winifred Hughes (1896 - )  Margaret Hughes (1897 - )  Hugh Thomas Hughes (1900 - )  Richard John Hughes (1904 - 1920 )

Would welcome any additional information on the family, especially any any connection with the lifeboat service.

Offline JOOLSGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

William Titus Jones Hughes (Titus) was born on the 24th July 1919 registered in the district of Holyhead Entry No 152 book 45.  His sister Jane was the younster of the family.  I'll need to speak to my S-in-L to get some dates for you and find out how they all fit in to the bigger picture.
 I've tried to attached a picture of the gravestone of Evans and Richard which is in front of the memorial in St Gwyfan Church but I think it's too big, you might already have this?

Offline JOOLSGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Did you know that Evan Hughes was awarded a silver medal:

The Nautical magazine: Volume 35 - Page 157
The silver medal of the institution and £2 were voted to Evan Hughes, and £10 to his boat's crew of five men, for putting off in Hughes's fishing boat, and saving at considerable risk of life the crew of the ship Palinurus, of Liverpool, which was wrecked off Cymyran, on the Anglesey coast, on the 4th of January.
1866 ?

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 July 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Joolsgreen
Thanks for details on Titus and Jane. I was aware of Evan Evans's silver medal in 1866, but not through the Nautical magazine you mention - How do I access this publication?
Have visited the memorial at St Gwenfaen. Several generations of the family are buried here.

Offline JOOLSGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile