Author Topic: Wrong Father on Wedding Cert !!  (Read 9359 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Father on Wedding Cert !!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
I suppose again at the time of their ceremonies they could have got the couple to sign the copy which went to the local registrar

As far as I know, this is indeed what happened.  A separate form was prepared and signed by all parties, and this is the form that went to the local Registrar.  So the local Registrar does have original documents, rather than transcriptions.  Not all offices are able to copy the originals, though, it depends on what facilities they have and the condition of the original books.  I have a number of certificates issued by Birmingham Register Office and they are all photocopies of original documents with genuine signatures.

I have a similar puzzle with one of my ancestors, Steven!  He married three times and on the first two occasions his father's name is stated as John, but the third time it is William  ::) (This is from the original parish register.)  I won't bore you with the details, but this is one I still haven't managed to sort out  :-\
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Boudicca1960

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  I only recently started work on my tree and am having the same problems with Benjamin Clive (b 1847 or 1851?). He is my G.G. Gfather.  I am new to forums.  Can someone tell me what IGI is please?

Boudicca
Kent: Cawley,Johncock,Wood
Warwicks: Clive,Rogers,Ellis
Yorks: Appleyard,Dent

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 03:11 BST (UK) »
howdy, Boudicca -- and welcome to Rootschat!

IGI stands for International Genealogical Index -- a database of genealogical records created and maintained by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  These records can be accessed at familysearch.org .  It's a very helpful database.

Regards.

CELTIC ANNIE

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Boudicca1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 September 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Celtic Annie

Thanks for your reply - I will look into it.

Boudicca
Kent: Cawley,Johncock,Wood
Warwicks: Clive,Rogers,Ellis
Yorks: Appleyard,Dent

Offline cromwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 May 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
Through his army records I found John Henry Cutler and his wife Emily Knight living at 118 Long Acre Nechells they had four children William Henry born 18th Jan 1912, Albert John born 21st May 1914 and died 25th Feb 1915, Doris May born 17th April 1916 and Gladys Emily born 25th Sept1918. (I have a photo of their mother Emily Knight )
William Henry Cutler married Winifred Lavinia A Pugh, William died in 1984
Emily Knight remarried in the 1930's after John Henry Cutler disappeared... 
Knight, Carter, Wilson, Juxon, Clive,Cutler