Author Topic: wileman emigrants to south africa  (Read 4186 times)

Offline dalew01new

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
wileman emigrants to south africa
« on: Thursday 21 April 05 13:50 BST (UK) »
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS ANY INFORMATION ABOUT WHEN THE FIRST WILEMAN FAMILY MEMBER EMIGRATED TO SOUTH AFRICA,ALSO IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME WITH FINDING OUT THE ORIGIN OF THE WILEMAN NAME.

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: wileman emigrants to south africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
You may know already that there are several references to WILEMAN on the NAAIRS index www.national.archives.gov.za/
If the family came into Natal by sea, it's possible that the surname may come up on the European Immigration Index and I will check that for you when next I am working in the EI index in Pietermaritzburg.
As to the origin of WILEMAN, it may have a similar derivation to WILES or WYLES - from Old English meaning 'trick' or Middle English 'wyle' which was a basket or trap for catching fish.  Another possibility is that WILEMAN is a contraction of WILDMAN, which meant just that.  :)  Regards, Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline dalew01new

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the info, if you find anymore about the wileman name can you please send it to me.

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 05 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Have a look at the NAAIRS Site
 http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?200507151834296DEC4228%26DB%3DRSAE 
Click on the RSA to get to the search page and then type in Wileman. You will see that there are 68 references to Wilemans in South Africa. The earliest is around the turn of the century. By applying for a death notice you may find some birthplaces.
There is a marriage for a William Henry Wileman, divorced on 18/10/1890 in Beaconsfield to Lydia Wilkins.
Sorry no more at this stage.
ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk