Author Topic: Isle of Coll/Tyree  (Read 10239 times)

Offline KMcKenzie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isle of Coll/Tyree
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just putting a message out there to anyone who may be connected to the same families that I am.

If you are related to the McKenzie family via children of John McKenzie & Elizabeth Sutherland - Margaret, Elizabeth, George, Charlotte, John, Mary, Allan, Donald, Janet or Catherine. This family mainly seemed to reside in Arinagour on Coll. Or if....

...you are connected to the McFadyen's of both Coll & Tyree. Parents are Malcolm McFadyen (Born on Tyree. Son of Hugh McFadyen & Marion or Mary McLean) & Flora McFarlane (born in Kilninnian & Kilmore Dau. of Donald McFarlane & Anabella McLean) and their children are - Angus, Donald, Mary, Lachlan, Neil, Anabella, John & Flora.

Just thought i would put it out there and see if anyone gets back to me!

Thankyou!!

Keelan
McKenzie - Inverness & Argyll.
McCormack - Lanarkshire & Ireland.
McCullen & Gribben - Northern Ireland.
Cook/McCook - Killean & Kilchenzie, Argyll.
Mustard/e - Campbeltown & Angus/Perth
McFadyen/McFarlane/McLean - Tyree & Coll
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Thomas & Cooke - Herefordshire, England
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Evans/Francis/Richards - Trefeglwys, Cemmaes & Merionethshire
Golba - Poland

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Coll/Tyree
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keelan !

My Tiree McArthur family is connected to the McFarlanes. (Helipol I think)  (McFadyen – McPhaiden – McPhanning – McPhraing…, alias or alternate for Rankine)   John McFarline "McPhaiden," baptized on the 7th of December 1766 is my 5xGreat G.F. with wife Flory Rankin (to confuse the issue) born in 1743. (the Tiree 1776 census has her born in 1748)   On the OPR it states child John McPhaiden not McFarlane..., mother Mary McPhanning.   Their daughter Janet was born 1772…, and married my John McArthur in 1792.   John had a son Neil who then moved on to Campbeltown.

Can you give me some of your dates ?

Personally, we are fervently trying to find details of our John McArthur…, son-in-law of John McFarlane !!!?
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Amberglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there, :)

Hugh and Marion's son Lauchlen McFadyen married Catharine. One of their sons Hugh born 1841 married Malinda Gilson. Their daughter Catharine McFadden ( spelling change) was my great grandmother. She was lovingly referred to as Grandma Kate to all who knew her. Her daughter Birdena was my grandmother.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Keelan,  the back numbers of the Isle of Coll, Journal are available online somewhere. Much of interest re' family history.

Skoosh

Offline lainey777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, researching Coll and Tiree ancestors and noticed this post.  My McFarlane side is Malcolm McPhaden and Flora McFarlane.  Floras parents Donald McFarlane (b 1767)and Anabella MacLean (1760ish?).  Donalds parents were Duncan McFarlane (b 1739) and Katharine McLean (1745 - 1784).  Duncans parents are John McFarlane (b1710) and Marion McArthur (1716).  Some dates are approximate and I just started on this line so any Coll or Tyree help would be appreciated.  Malcolm (1794 - 1869) was a shoemaker in Salem on Tyree where he was born and he died in Caolis, and Flora 1785 - 1862) was born on Tyree and died in Coll.  Their children were Angus McFadyen (m. Ann McTavish), Mary, Lachlan, Annabella, Flora, all born between 1815 and 1831.  Angus's daughter Isabella McFadyen (b. 1842)was my gg grandmother and married William Scott.  Looking for Anabella (1760's) MacLeans parents and any other leads.  The family finally ended up in Paisley via Kilbirnie in Renfrewshire, Scotland.  Fingers crossed.  Fascinated

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Lainey...

Sorry for not seeing this sooner but I am extremely busy.

Duncan McFarlane was my 5th great grand uncle..., his father John born abt1710 was my 6xG grandfather. (Duncan’s brother John being my 5xG)   If you are on Ancestry, you can see them on my tree; “Wood Family Tree.” (from the Woods, go up through the McArthurs to Neil b1795 (born Tiree shoemaker in Campbeltown) and his mother was Janet McFarlane b1770.   Janet’s grandfather was John McFarlane. (many certificates principally thanks to professional friends having the same tree) 

Duncan had 5 children with KATHERINE McLEAN... (Donald/John/James/William/Donald) then another 3 with Margaret Sinclair. (Donald/John/Malcolm)   Unfortunately..., I see no Flora on the ‘Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate’ list !   But I could be wrong !

If you do not have Ancestry, just PM me with an e-mail.

..., Iain.  ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain and Lainey

Welcome to RootsChat, Lainey  :) Iain, hoping all well with you  ;)

Just for info... Lainey needs a couple of posts on the main boards before the Private Message service is activated.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lainey777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Iain.  Great stuff.  finally getting somewhere with the line too.  Yes I'm on ancestry - the tree name is Irvine Family Tree and goes down the Scott and McFadyen/McPhaden and McFarlane line.  Some Coll (Cliad) and some in Tiree (Salem).  I'll have a look at your tree.  Cant do private msg on this yet as I just rejoined after years and can't remember passwords etc on the original one.  No matter.  Be nice to check your side and the grandfathers in common on Anc.  Thanks for your reply.  Happy hunting, Lainey (Lainey Irvine on ancestry)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain and Lainey

Monica

A belated Happy and Healthy New Year to you and the Team Monica..., no need to reply !   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree