Author Topic: COUGHLAN/CARROLL Perhaps from Cloghan  (Read 9278 times)

Offline MAWINFRANCE

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COUGHLAN/CARROLL Perhaps from Cloghan
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a halt trying to trace my great, great grandparents Michael Coughlan and Teresa Carroll Coughlan, both probably born around 1827, and probably in King's County (one source says Cloghan) as well as their sons Patrick (born 1846) and Michael (born 1848), the whole family having emigrated to the USA, supposedly via Boston, arriving in Nevada County , California by 1853 when a third child was born. Can anyone offer any help on this?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: COUGHLAN/CARROLL Perhaps from Cloghan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
The births of your Coughlan family members are all well before the start of Civil registration (1864), so you would need to check for church records for any details. To do this you need to know the family religion and which parish or townland they lived in at the time.

There are two townlands named Cloghan in Co. Offaly (Kings) - one in the Poor Law Union for Roscrea and the other in the district of Birr (Parsonstown). It might be worth trying to find further details in US records on where the family originated to try to narrow down your search.

if your Coughlan family were RC - then the Cloghan townland in the Roscrea district in in the RC parish of Kilcolman  ( Irish Times)  Baptism and marriage records for this parish go back to about 1830.

The other town and townland of Cloghan is in the RC parish of Gallen-and-Reynagh/Banagher

See :  Introduction to Irish Records 
 and: My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Some transcript records for these parishes are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Cloghan cemetery headstones;

John Carroll;
Sgt. US Army, WW2
23/6/1905-6/5/1985
----------------
Patrick Carroll, Ballyshiel Cloghan
10/2/1931 (70)
Ann (wife); 31/3/1956 (82) Nee Kilmartin
Margaret (dtr); 1920 (9)
Patrick (son); 1/3/1971 (70)
James (son); 4/8/1972 (62)
Margaret (his wife); 14/6/2003 (83) Nee Fitzgerald
------------------
William Coughlan; Banagher st Cloghan
8/2/1991
Bridget (wife); 25/5/1994 (75)
--------------
Jack

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jack - would it be possible to check for graves in Cloghan ,Offaly please
Patrick Larkin and his wife Maria Larkin - they had 6 children and one of them Martin Larkin baptised 8th December 1880 in Coghlan, Offaly ...he came here to Garston ,Liverpool - his g grandson is a very good friend of mine and has asked me to do his familytree...I am confident that Maria Larkin - nee Egan was from Ballydaly - about 20 miles from Cloghan - but it looks like Patrick Larkin was from Cloghan - I would like to confirm this if possible - any headstones with Patrick or Marias birth years would be a HUGE bonus ...thanks for reading
Garstonite  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
In rootsireland ................
Patrick was Baptised 8th March 1846 in the Parish of Banagher.
Maggsie

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Maggsie - that is vital info - much appreciated   :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford