Author Topic: Cropwood Open Air School  (Read 7635 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cropwood Open Air School
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everone,as this place is in Bromsgrove Worcestershire i thought it would be a good place to start,does anyone out there remember it and did they go there as a boarder between 1957 and 1959,Miss Urqurte not sure of spelling but she was head and was from Scotland i would be glad to hear from anyone who was there .tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Lorz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cropwood Open Air School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
I've just joined this site and saw your post on Cropwood, I was there around 1960 I think, Miss Urquart was Head and there was a Miss Addis too, I am trying to find pictures of the school.  I ran away on the same day a girls called Ann did, don't know if that was after your time?

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Lorz I was beginning to think everyone who had been to Cropwood had emigrated.
I was only there for two years left in 1959 when I was ten.
Two girls ran away when I was there found in Bromsgrove and brought back it was easy
to run away the gates were always open and everyone had the freedom of the whole grounds.
Did they bring you back?.
Looking back it was a lovely place swimming pool brownies and girl guides xmas concert
film shows every two weeks when parents did not come etc.
When I was there Miss Urquart had a red cocker spaniel named Mac she used to dress him up
in clothes and bring him into the hall, much to our delight.
she was very strict but fair and looked after me a few times when I was ill.
    regards tobyma123. ;D

James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Lorz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Tobyma123, HA! Yep I emigrated, but only 14 yrs ago, I left the Midlands years before, due to being an old bat, I can't remember exactly when, I dont remember Miss Urquart having a dog, I think I was 8 when I was there so around 1960, maybe just after you, was Extentson there in your time?? thats where I slept, and you are one of the few that actually spoke, as I remember Miis U, she was strict but Yes she was fair, I was one of the girls that ran off, but I got all the way home to Small Heath, but yep they (I wonder who they are???) made mom and dad take me back, at 16 I went back to see Miss U with mom and she said she was retiring, as they were going to change the place from looking after sick children to rebellious kids, and she did not sign up for that.  Love to hear details that you recall, mine was round the back, big tree that we has a den in among the roots? My name is Lorraine, hope you will chat more, who cares where we are, all this techno stuff makes the world shrink, well I am only 21 (going on 63 today so love to chat), Kind regards Lorraine

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine I guessed right then overseas well I am still here in old uk.
Miss Urquart's dog Mac died before I left we all cried buckets.
I started sleeping in the big house then moved to exstension after that I was up
the road in Rosemary cottage with the older girls before I left.
I remember Miss Urquart trying to teach me to ride a bike still can't.
I was there the year before you I guess.
There were 80 girls and I can still remember my old number it was 39.
Miss Urquart used to go to Scotland to Robbie Burns night and tell us all about it.
She also had small caravan went with that I think, her brother was a doctor
she was very kind to me when I lost my mother and when I was ill never forget her.
I wonder if there are any more of us out there we will have to wait and see although
I don't remember any names to long ago.
  best wishes Jenny.

Offline Lorz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

That explains a lot, now I know why I don't recall any animals at Cropwood, I guess when Miss U's dog passed, she either decided not have another, or was told she couldn't.  I've read a few blogs where she was disliked, but you don't feel that way and neither do I, yes she scared me a bit, but I never felt threatened by her or any of the staff, whereabout in the UK r u.  I didn't get married til I was 38 and then we came out here two days after 9/11 tragedy, I had to leave my mom who was about 82 back in the UK, but as Joe and I were an older couple, it was now or never.  I miss things about the UK but not the damn weather.  Often on the B,ham forum I see and read things that remind me of the past, and feel a bit homesick, not that I would leave Australia to return, its just nostalgia.  There are lots of things here that still make me smile, like they refer to bed linen as Manchester, I just don't get that and I don't think I ever will.  There are a lot of English here, more than true Australians.  The house next door was just sold and he is a young guy from Kingstanding, I spent a few years well a lot actually, down in the South, Woking in Surrey, then out here.  Do you remember the old tree, round the back turn right before the Gorse bushes and then it was on the right again, its roots were so bit, we used to play in there, and the swimming pool, damn freezing.  It is so good to hear that Miss U spent time with you to try to teach you how to ride a bike, my dad taught me, he passed back in 1974, mom about 4 years ago, but I didn't see her for the last 10 yrs, do you have children, I don't, two stepsons though, think of Laurel and Hardy and youve got Marc and Mike, great boys  I just ordered a book by Frances Wilmot, all about the Open Air Schools 1911-1970 I think, that should be interesting, were you on the top floor or bottom at extension, I was upstairs, walk into the dorm, 4 beds were inset in a square, then I was the first bed, in the long row.   I always remember the bathroom always cold, and not being allowed much water.  Who was the nurse/lady that looked after yu when you where there, I remember a Miss Adiss, slim blonde and never really interacted with any of us.  I remember the shoe lady up in the attic, polishing our shoes, and a cook, that made a luvly Christmas Pudding.  I remember th lobby with its row of sinks and toilets at the entry at the bottom and having my hair washed with a really stinky shampoo, ha! and I remember a tall dark skined girl Naomi, so quiet and graceful.  I never got to Rosemary, and always wanted to, but I remember it well, lovely old cottage style, do you remember church and the tuck shop, I went to CofE not sure of the name, I am not at all religious but it was a lovely church.  I am glad you remember Miss U, I went to see her when I was 16 and hoped to get a job there, but alas, she said it was going to be made into a home for what they called rebellious girls.  I don't think that lasted another girl was allowed t film the grounds etc, since leaving I wish she would share that, I can't just go there from here, but if I do return to the UK for a visit, I will seek permission and go back for one last look, I don't know why but it draws me, at first I hated it, then I tolerated it, and now I miss it, getting old I guess.  Best regards to you, Lorraine xx

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Loraine  so glad I found you I thought no one would reply to Cropwood.
I used to take Miss Urquarts breakfast tray every morning down to the kitchen heavy
for a 9 year old, cook was Mrs smith plump jolly lady.
There was an old man upstairs for your shoes when I was there.
I started off downstairs in exstention then upstairs the only teachers I remember
were Miss Moss she was my form teacher Lovely Miss Bromage and assistant carer
Miss Piano she was Italian.
The church I went to was the C of E it was white with a big round window.
Did you know that the Cadbury (choc) gave the place to Bham education department.
Do you remember the sledging in the snow we all wore snow suits.
I am a Brummie born and bred but we live in Derbyshire now and have 3 children and
have 8 grandchildren.
This Roots chat is brilliant I have found two cousins on here one in Canada and one in Wales.
I sometimes get homesick for the old Bham but it has changed so  much.
If you can send me a personal message not sure though how it goes now, I will give you my e-mail.
Don't want to post it  on open page.
  best wishes Jenny. ;D

Offline Lorz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
No worries Jenny, I too am not sure how to PM, but I will find out and send you my email, its lovely to talk to u too, I always felt I was the only one, that went thru all this stuff, I'll figure out the pm and then we can talk xx Lorraine

Offline Kathy O’Hare

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was at Cropwood Open Air School from 1958-1960. Age 10-12 years. I spent the first year in
the extension dormitory, upstairs. Second year I moved to Rosemary Cottage. I remember going to the the C of E church every Sunday. I remember we only did a short day of schooling. After lunch we would have to take a nap under a Red Cross blanket for an hour and then we would either go for a walk or do other none school activities. The grounds were so beautifully kept and we could play croquet and either tennis or badminton as well as sledge in the snow and swim in the outdoor swimming pool. Miss Urqhart taught the non swimmers to swim by tying a rope around the girls bodies and told to swim. To encourage this, she would slacken the rope! It worked for me! I do not remember her having a dog. She was harsh as I remember and woe betide any girl who ran away as we were told they got the slipper on their return. The food was amazing and plentiful. I went there a very fussy eater and went home eating anything and everything. As a Rosemary Cottage girl, once a month would be allowed to go into Bromsgrove as a small group with a teacher if we were chosen to, for doing something which deserved the treat. We were allowed to spend a small amount of pocket money. I remember Friday night film night every two weeks, which we had to pay two shillings to watch. In the summer there was an amazing school fete which raised money for the school funds.
I loved being in the Girl Guides as we did things like learning to make a camp fire and even camp out overnight in the school grounds.
 Across the road there was the boys open air school called Hunters Hill. Occasionally we met up through some sort of event. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately, I can only remember the name of one girl there. She was called Suzanne and she had polio.
Would love to hear from anyone who went there to hear their memories.