Author Topic: Ganly/Ganley/Gandley  (Read 7157 times)

Offline MarieB3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ganly/Ganley/Gandley
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I'm trying to trace the birthplace and ancestors of Andrew Ganly, and could do with any pointers!

He was born in Ireland in 1857 and his father was Thomas Ganly.  We have British Census' showing him in 1881, 1901 and 1911, but only showing Ireland as his place of birth, not the County.  The surname also seems to vary between the 3 shown in the title too!  I'm struggling to find any trace of him, or his father, prior to Andrew's marriage, so I'm not sure even of any siblings, or his mothers name.. 

Andrew married Margaret Woodall in 1879 in Stoke On Trent, Stafford, England.  They had 9 children and moved to Barton Upon Irwell/Swinton in Manchester before the 1911 Census.  We think he died in 1913, as he was deceased by the time his daughter was married in 1915.

If anyone could give me any information, I would be very grateful!

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Ganly/Ganley/Gandley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be his death:
Deaths Mar 1913   
Ganley    Andrew    age 49   Mar 1913    Barton upon Irwell.    8c   838
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarieB3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 11 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, this has been very helpful, I hadn't realised that there would not be any immigration records for those that moved from Ireland to England..

Andrew Ganly must have moved when he was very young, as one of the Census' actually states that he does not know where in Ireland he was born.  I can only trace Andrew as an adult, and cannot trace his father as a result.  All I have is his fathers name on Andrew's Marriage Certificate..

I'll have to try parish records, but if anyone does have any information on this line, please let me know!

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Marie, have you considered the other Ganley family on 1911 Census who also live in Barton upon Irwell.  They are from Galway. ALso working in the mines. 
Do you have Andrew & Margaret's marriage cert?  Who were the witnesses?

Madri

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

My family name is Ganley/Gandley (depending which brother you follow  ::) )

Mine originated in Co. Roscommon before coming to Stone Staffordshire, then onto Birmingham.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MarieB3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Madri,

Sorry about the time lapse!  I really hadn't considered that, but it's an excellent point.  The witnesses were Michael Kennedy and Catherine Dunnicker, and they were married at St Mary's & St Patricks in Shelton, Stoke On Trent.

Difficulty is, there are 2 Andrew Ganley's, both almost the same age, in similar areas!  I have found the one who originated from County Mayo, but I don't think I'm related to him.  I've found the 1891 census, where they both show separately.  All of the Ancestry records have merged the 2 together, which isn't correct.  I cannot see any trace of the Mayo based Andrew having had a family, whereas mine did, he had 9 children and a wife.

He definitely came from Ireland, with his father, Thomas, lived in Stoke On Trent for some years before moving to Swinton/Barton Upon Irwell later on.  Later census' show him making himself and his wife younger, I can only assume that was to have a better chance of securing work, as they always seem to get their childrens ages consistent.  I've seen this a lot with other family members on both sides!

Offline MarieB3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 12 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

We could well be!  Does seem like quite a coincidence.  I'll definitely do some research around Staffordshire, I think that is a great idea to see if a few members of the same extended family came over around the same time.

Do you know when your side left Ireland and came over to England? 

Thanks, Marie

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

What did Andrew give as Thomas' occupation ?

This can help in order to see if he was from a farming community or another !

Tara