Author Topic: Look-up request for William Makin Smith  (Read 10989 times)

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-up request for William Makin Smith
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find my Paternal Grandfather.

William Maton Smith, born around 1899

Was married to Agnes Winton Forbes Kent Robertson on 29th April 1921 in Edinburgh Scotland at the age of 22

Agnes returned to Edinburgh in 1927, whilst pregnant with my Father, David Robertson Smith

There are believed to be 2 sisters, both born before 1926 - possibly May or Mary and Cecilia or Cecily or Cathy?

An address given was Alva House, Rural Route No.1, Scarborough, Toronto.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request - William Makin Smith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 11 03:19 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the marriage registration for William Smith and Agnes Robertson and it gives William's parents as Thomas Smith and Margaret Makin. There was a William Makin Smith born in Alva, Clackmannan in 1898 (family trees at Ancestry give the date as 11 Oct 1898). If this is the correct person the family trees posted indicated he married Edith Joliffe on 14 Aug 1930 and died 25 May 1963. The family trees don't say where he married Edith or where he died. They also don't have information on a first marriage.

Also on the marriage registration for William and Agnes, it indicated that Agnes' address was 95 Restaloig(?) Road, Edinburgh. I found an incoming UK passenger list entry for Agnes Smith who gave a UK address of 95 Restalric Road, Edinburgh. She was on the Athenia which arrived in Glasgow on 29 May 1927. The passenger list had her travelling alone.

I also found Form 30 cards for William, Agnes and two daughters. They arrived in Quebec on 18 May 1924 on the Marburn. William was listed as being 23, born in Alva, Clackmannan and was destined to his father, Mr. Thomas Smith of Toronto. For some reason he listed Agnes as his nearest relative from the country he came from even though she was with him. Agnes was 25, born in Edinburgh and listed Thomas Smith as the person she was joining. She lists her nearest relative in the country she left as David Robertson, father, 95 Restaloig(?) Road. The two children were Sarah (2) and Margaret (11 months).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request - William Maton Smith
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Jacquie, that's amazing!

You have found overnight what I've been looking for for years!

Do you know if there were Canadian Census records, or if there's any way I can trace the 2 girls, Sarah and Margaret?

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Makin Smith
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Another adjective for jacquie!  ;D  Well done...
A marriage of his brother, James Smith age 23 in 1924 Toronto has the father's full names as Thomas Fulton Smith
also, brother George Smith, born Alva, died in B.C.
Harder to find more information within the last century, due to privacy laws & .Canada cesus only available to
1911...but perhaps one of the descendants will see this site and join in..
Use modify button & change your subject line to "William Makin Smith" which will help. I have changed mine
http://pagesofthepast.ca/ might have something for you, but the name Smith might make it expensive ( pay per view)

Perhaps you can contact the site owners if they left a link on the site jacquie found....Did they leave a contact
email for Rowefamily2, jacquie?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up request for William Makin Smith
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 11 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found a death notice for Thomas Smith (William's father) in the Toronto Star.   He died on June 9, 1947 in Toronto and is buried in Pine Hills Cemetery.   If you would like, I can PM you the details.  You just need to make 1 more post.

There is also a family tree site online that might be of interest to you:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/r/Jayne--Paradis/GENE4-0006.html

RK
PS - Jacquie IS amazing!! 
PPS - I believe that Pine Hills cemetery is in Scarborough (an eastern section of Toronto)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
You guys are making me blush!

I think one of the family trees at Ancestry may have been put up by the same person whose tree Lisa posted a link to. The ones I saw at Ancestry were all public trees if you can access Ancestry then you should be able to contact them.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 11 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I found a death notice for William Makin Smith in the Toronto Star but it is really difficult to read. It appears to indicate the name of one of the daughter was Clara, not Sarah. It lists other children as well as the married names for the daughters but, as I said, I can't read it. When you are able to send personal messages if you PM me your email address I can send you the death notice.

Jacquie

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how you do this!  Do you stay up all night?!

It's fantastic!

Thank you so much..... I really hope I can do this for my Dad!  He would so love to know if he has any relatives still living.

Sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 11 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you stay up all night?!

And sleep all day.  ;)

Jacquie