Author Topic: Look-up request for William Makin Smith  (Read 10998 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up request for William Makin Smith
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 March 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
re:William Makin Smith's obit
I've sent jacquie what little I could glean from the newspaper writeup. Someone might just volunteer to look at the actual reels for you one day....if you are lucky. If jacquie thinks it makes sense I'll sent it to you...

Giffen-Mack Funeral Home still exists, so they might have more information for you
http://www.giffenmackdanforth.com/dm20/en_CA/locations/37/3778/index.page
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 March 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Great - and I sent Sue a PM with my transcriptions of both Thomas's and William's death notices from the paper.   Thomas's is quite easy to read and sheds some light on what William's might say.  William's is really hard to read.  Hopefully, between all of our tries, Sue may be able to get some ideas. 

RK

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 March 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Some amazing info there... thank you all soooo much!

Anyone know where can I look up marriage information for Scarborough, Canada?

No idea how to proceed next!   :-\

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 March 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I think JJ, RK and I all agree on Norma Whitmore. RK and I thought it was Margaret Collins which is close to what JJ thought. We all seem to be stuck on Clara's married name.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
No idea how to thank you all for this amazing information!

My Dad is now 84, and as far as he knows has no living relatives.  Since my Mum died, it's become a bit of a mission for me to try to find someone for him.  I tried many years ago, before things took off on the internet, and got no-where. 

You have given me so much information now to work with!

Hoping I can somehow track down his sisters, and although they may well no longer be around, I guess their children will be and will be able to give him some information on his Dad etc.

Any idea what I do next regards searching in Canada?

Sue x

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

As for tracking down his sisters - the easiest seems to be Janet (Mrs A Lee).  She is mentioned in both of the obituaries -  AND she is in the family tree that I mentioned above.
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/r/Jayne--Paradis/GENE4-0006.html

Janet's 5 children are also listed on this family tree.  I won't mention their names, in case they are still living, but you can see them for yourself if you follow the link I posted.  Just find Janet (number 55) and click on her name.   This should give you more leads - and some cousins for your Dad!!

According to this tree, Janet's husband is Arthur.  It says that he died on Dec 27 1967 in Barrie, Ont.   This is about an hour north of Toronto.  The Barrie Examiner index has a reference to his death notice.  You could see if the Barrie library would look up his obituary for you - it may contain more information about Janet and their children (where they might be living - married names etc.)

http://news.ourontario.ca/Barrie/results?q=Arthur+Lee
As you can see, the obit/death notice was published on 2 days.  Just click on one of the entries and scroll down to the bottom - the contact information for the Barrie library (email and website) is here.

RK

ADDED - Here is a link straight to the Barrie Library Genealogy section:
http://www.library.barrie.on.ca/programmes/genealogy.htm

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 11 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

It doesn't look like the Ontario Genealogical Society has transcribed the tombstones in the Pine Hills Cemetery.  I just looked up the publications of the Toronto branch, and it is not there (see under Scarborough).

http://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/cemeterypubs.html#scarborough

This is too bad - it would have been interesting to see if any of William M. Smith's siblings or children were buried near him or near Thomas. 

There is a partial transcription at the interment.net site, but your relatives aren't listed.  This cemetery appears to come under the umbrella of the "Mount Pleasant Group" of cemeteries.   They manage most of the huge Toronto area cemeteries and - I suppose because the number of burials they have on file is so enormous - they charge 30 dollars per look up!  Ouch. (Look on the navigation pane on the left and click on Genealogy) 
http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/otherinquiries/cemeteries/contactus

There is no way to "Browse" through the listings.   :P

RK

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
If you give me the date that William's obituary appears in the Star, I'll look it up on the microfilm at the Central Reference Library and see if that's any more legible. Some of those microfilms are awfully overexposed though.

I can also nip over to Pine Hills Cemetery for you. Is just Thomas Fulton Smith of interest there or are there others to look for?

mat

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 06:33 GMT (UK) »
If you give me the date that William's obituary appears in the Star, I'll look it up on the microfilm at the Central Reference Library and see if that's any more legible. Some of those microfilms are awfully overexposed though.

I can answer that for you. The date of the paper was 28 May 1963 (Tuesday) and it was on page 29. It's located at the top of the last column with the "Deaths" heading.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz