Author Topic: Mates family  (Read 20226 times)

Offline Llassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mates family
« on: Thursday 17 March 11 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm looking for information on Richard Mate's parents and siblings.

Richard Mates was born around 1861 in Co. Wicklow and I know that he had a brother named William Mates.

They were Church of Ireland.

Richard Mates married Elizabeth Tuke in Rathdrum in1885.  They had 12 children before leaving Ireland for the states in 1911.

Richard Mates was a gardener and worked at Powerscourt gardens in the 1890s.

His brother William Mates left for the States earlier, around 1890.

I hope to learn more about Richard Mate's siblings and parents, so if anyone has suggestions or information I'd be very grateful!

I have all the names of Richard and Elizabeth's children, if this is of interest to anyone.

Thanks!
Laurie

Offline famhistbuff

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Charlie (right).
    • View Profile
Re: Mates family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 11 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurie,

Was William Mates older or younger?  Also, what were the names of Richard's children from eldest down?

cheers
Lisa :-)
Wallace - Galway
Buck - Nottingham
Spafford - Nottingham
Embrey - Monmouthshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Richard Mate's parents and siblings.

Richard Mates was born around 1861 in Co. Wicklow and I know that he had a brother named William Mates.

They were Church of Ireland.

Richard Mates married Elizabeth Tuke in Rathdrum in1885.  They had 12 children before leaving Ireland for the states in 1911.

The place to start is with a marriage cert for Richard and Elizabeth as this will show their residences at the time of marriage and also their father's names and occupations. Based on the details you have there's a good possible match on the BMD Index :

name: Richard Mates
 registration district: Rathdrum
 event type: Marriage
 Quarter and year:   Jan-Mar 1885
 Volume : 2 / Page :   843

Note - In this index reference Rathdrum refers to the registration district which covers a large part of Co. Wicklow.  There's a cross-matching reference for Elizabeth Tuke.

Richards birth is just before the start of full civil registration so you would need to check for church records for a baptism for him and any siblings born before 1864. Do you have any clues as to which parish Richard was born in ?

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
there's another thread in the section for Co. Wicklow on a Tuke family that could possibly be connected - see : Tuke Family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Llassen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane, thank you very much for the links, I'll go searching there.  Much appreciated!

Hi Lisa,  William (Big Bill) was younger, but the family here wonders if they were actually close in age because they worked in the Kilmacoo mine around the same time.  Richard Mates escaped the Kilmacoo mine explosion because he decided to have his lunch outdoors that day.  A narrow escape for us all  ;)

Elizabeth Mates, born 1866, died in Seattle, WA, USA in 1922
We think Richard Mates was born around 1861 and he died in Seattle in 1943
William Mates is listed on the US 1910 Census as having been born in 1873, but the family is questioning that because of the story I mentioned above. 

Richard and Elizabeth's children are as follows:
John Mates Born 1886 Rathdrum
Richard Mates Born 1887 -
Benjamin Thomas Mates Born 1889 Rathdown
Dora Mates Born 1890 Rathdown
Ellen Mates Born 1892 Rathdown
Evaleen Elizabeth Mates Born 1894 Balrothery
William Edward Mates Born 1897 Balrothery
Sophie Margaret Mates Born 1900 Balrothery
Susan (Sissie) Mary Mates Born 1902 Balrothery
George Francis Mates Born 1904 Balrothery
Jemima (Babe) Mates Born 1905 Balrothery (my grandmother)
Albert Victor Mates Born 1910 Dublin North Died 1911 Balrothery

Thank you very much!
Laurie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
just a quick note about the births you mentioned above - the places mentioned are all registration districts rather than actual addresses. Birth certs would give you proper places of birth, and allow you to confirm parents names etc

Registration District of Rathdown covers parts of south east county Dublin and a section of north Co. Wicklow. Dublin North covers Dublin North City. Balrothery covers parts of north Co. Dublin and Rathdrum covers parts of south Co. Wicklow. See the map here : Registration Districts

Have you found any of the family on the 1901 and/or 1911 census ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Llassen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for the further information.  You can probably gather that I'm quite new to this! 

I have the information on the marriage and each birth from familysearch.org with what looks like the location of the certificate in the digital records.  So from another post you referenced, it looks like my next step is to contact the GRO for copies of birth certificates and Richard and Elizabeth's marriage certificate.   

Yes, the family is on the 1901 census, except for the ones that hadn't been born yet, of course.  They left Ireland in March of 1911, so that's likely why I can't find them in the 1911 census.

Thanks again,

Laurie

Offline jean maria

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
hello

I am looking for any information on  Mates / Vicars Family.  John Mates Ballyrogan Redcross  married my great aunt Anne  Vicars Crone Redcross co wicklow in 1886.    Johns Dad is listed as William Mates and Annes dad is Patrick vicars .     I think they may have been born around 1860s approx . . as my great grandmother essie vicars ( annes sister ) was born 1865 .   she married Thomas Toole ( my great grandfather ) Kilpatrick  Redcross 1884.   Any information would be gratefully appreciated

Jean maria

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
This may be no help but in 1920's my mother lived at 12 George's Ave, Blackrock Co Dublin and the family downstairs were Dickie Mates and children one of these Rosie Mates went to the U.K and corresponded with my mother till the 80's . I think they were Presbyterian.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock