Author Topic: Mates family  (Read 20227 times)

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mates family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:25 GMT (UK) »
posted the last message off the top of my head. Just checked the Irish census for 1901 and 1911 the Mates were at Brusna cottages Blackrock they must have moved around the corner to Georges Ave in the 20's. They are Church of Ireland on census.It was Daisy not Rosie who went to U.K!!- my good memory has slipped.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline c.kcowick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 January 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
mates family still live in redcross they are farmers
i also know the vickers still reside close to redcross

prehaps this may be of some asistance to you

x redcrosser

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 12 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Llassen,

On ifhf in 1860 there was a Richard Mates baptised in Castlemacadam COI Church in County Wicklow. His parents were John and Dora. As this was the names that your Richard gave to his first son and first daughter it looks like a fairly good match.

In 1858 there was also a William Mates baptised in Castlemacadam COI Church in County Wicklow to John & Dora Mates.

There is also a John Mates on the Griffiths Valuation in Kilmacoo, Castlemacadam, Wicklow.

This is a possibility for Richard's mother Dorah Mates - I note that her son Edward worked in the mines which you mentioned !

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Cronebane/Kilmacoo_Upper/1815186/

There is also this baptism for Edward:

Name: Edward Mates
DOB: 18 Jul 1870
Place: Wicklow, Ireland
Father's Name: John Mates
Mother's name: Dolly Tracey (Dolly is another version of Dora)

I hope these MAY add up to what records you have !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean Marie

On ifhf there is a John Mates baptised in 1853 in Castlemacadam COI Church, Wicklow - parents William and Elizabeth Mates.

I can't guarantee whether this is the same family you are looking for or not but may be of some help !

Tara

Offline MissoulaDon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
The following Mates are from Redcross, Wicklow.  There is not an obvious connection to the Mates already listed, but they are another piece of the puzzle:

William Mates (1815-1891) died in Redcross, buried Redcross Cem
married
Susan or Susanna Loftus (1822-1886) died in Redcross, buried Redcross Cem

William and Susan had the following children, all (I believe) born in Redcross:

Elizabeth A. Mates (1852-1923) emigrated to Baltimore, Maryland USA abt 1870, married George H. Koontz, one child, died in Baltimore, buried at Baltimore Cemetery.
   William Loftus Mates (abt 1853-1939) lived and farmed at Redcross, married Rosa Marie ??,  childless, died at Redcross, buried at Redcross Cemetery.
   Margaret Mates (abt 1856-1922) lived at Redcross, never married, died at Redcross, buried at Redcross Cemetery.
   Sarah Jane Mates  (1856-1922) emigrated to Baltimore, Maryland USA in 1871, married James Kane,  five children, died in Baltimore, buried at Baltimore Cemetery. [my great grandmother]
   Susan Mates (abt 1868-1939) lived at Redcross, never married, died at Redcross, buried at Redcross Cemetery.
   Lucy Loftus Mates (abt 1865-1944) lived variously at Redcross, Baltimore and ??, never married, died at Redcross, buried at Redcross Cemetery.

I am a beginner at this.  I found a Leonard Mates, a Sarah Mates, and  two William Mates in Redcross in the Griffiths Valuation, but I am unsure what to do with that information.  I found those siblings above that still lived in Redcross on both the 1901 and 1910 census.  What information I have has been without the help of birth certificates or other records.  Any suggestions?

Don

Offline sattley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 June 12 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there: Well thank you all for all the wonderful information. Im a granddaughter of  Richard Mates "born 1887-". I was told his father, Richard, was able to bring his family to the States because a brother had "made a lot of money gold mining? in Alaska and helped him pay to bring them over" so there must have been a brother still alive then. I knew my great grandfather was a gardener who worked at Powerscourt. My grandfather died when my father was around 9 years old but I (and my older brother) have several of his personal items from Ireland because my father passed away 3 years ago. The family ended up in Seattle and then my grandfather moved to Portland, Oregon. I also remember my dad saying that the only Mates of his branch left in Ireland was his father's brother, who died in infancy and was buried there. For some reason my father believed that the Mates' were descended from folks who came over with William of Orange when he explained that although, strongly Nationalist?, his family was Protestant-perhaps Im showing my ignorance here. thank you again. You have motivated me to sort thru all the boxes of family correspondence/memorabilia to enlighten myself

Offline Jstire

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 November 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I am the granddaughter of Susan (Sissie) Mary Bates born 1902.  I was told that she died shortly after childbirth.  My father's name was Bruce Jeffrey Robeson.  he was approximately 2 years old when his mother passed. I believe she delivered a daughter with spina bifida who did not live much longer after she was born.  My grandfather's  name was Ralph Robeson and he subsequently remarried after the passing of Susan and moved down to Long Beach California.  My father never had the opportunity to connect with his mother's side of the family, which I know he was sad about.  I appreciate all of the research you have done in regards to this side of my family.

Susan Mates was a nurse at Providence Medical Center in Everett WA. I have her nursing picture.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 November 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
No. 51
Erected | by | W. L. MATES | Oakwood | in memory of his beloved friend |
EDWARD BURY | who died 3rd June 1913 | “Blessed are the pure in heart |
for they shall see God”.

No. 37
Erected by RICHARD MATES in memory of | his beloved mother MARY MATES
departed | this life May 14 1821 aged 66 years | Also his father RICHARD
MATES departed | this life December 30th 1838 aged 77 years

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/wicklow/photos/tombstones/1headstones/castlemacadam-old.txt
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.