Author Topic: Where are Common/Coal Moor in Worksop?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline jhope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where are Common/Coal Moor in Worksop?
« on: Thursday 21 April 05 17:11 BST (UK) »
In 1854 my g.g.grandparents, James and Elizabeth Bennett, are listed variously as living at the Common, Worksop (baptism record of their son James) and Coal Moor, Worksop (birth certificate of James).

These placenames are listed in Pigot's 1830 Directory for Worksop, but have been looking at a map of modern Worksop (not very detailed admittedly)  and can see no indication of either of these street/area names now. Can anyone with local knowledge help with where there they might have been?

Many thanks in advance

Julie

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where are Common/Coal Moor in Worksop?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 05 20:10 BST (UK) »
 :)
The only reference to 'the common' in Worksop' is that the the workhouse was built on 'the common' in 1837. This was later called Eastgate workhouse and there is an Eastgate in Worksop now.

http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/worksop.html

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=458500.121739877&Y=379500.582944739&gride=458546.121739877&gridn=379507.582944739&scale=10000&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&lang=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&localinfosel=&local=&kw=&srec=0&mapsize=big&db=freegaz&rt=

Or maybe some one is better informed.

Hope this helps

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jhope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane

Many thanks for the information. Another piece to add into the puzzle - have yet to work out why James and Elizabeth left London (where both came from) and moved to Worksop and they appear only to have stayed there for a short period (and had James junior). Have had so many surprises doing this, I  wonder now whether they might have been workhouse residents?

Anyway - thanks again for your help! - Kindest regards

Julie

Offline betton39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
I am an "old worksopian". When my grandmother was alive... she used to send me to "common end".. that is old speak for the area around Victoria square... which is a large junction connecting the main town.... eastgate bridge street... carlton and gateford road. What occupation was he connected with, historically this area was connected with either  shopkeepers or brewers/maltsters

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would try contacting Worksop Library, they have quite a good local history section and always seem a very helpful clan!

worksop.library@nottscc.gov.uk

Kind regards
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Paul Jeffery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 23 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I see that in the 1851 census the house numbers on Coal Moor go from number 49 Coal Moor to 50 Eastgate. Like previous replies suggest Coal Moor must have been integrated into Eastgate at a later time. Victoria Square was and to some still is known as Common End. I'm guessing the Common lay north of Victoria Square and the north side of Eastgate and Coal Moor.