Author Topic: Fultons in Kilbarchan  (Read 29844 times)

Offline AllanWD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fultons in Kilbarchan
« on: Thursday 17 March 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
In researching my mother's ancestors (surname FULTON) I have traced them back via my grandfather (James Fulton born in Johnstone), my g grandfather (William, also born in Johnstone), my gg grandfather (Joseph, born in Kilbarchan), to my ggg grandfather, (Hugh Fulton born in Ireland around 1790). This work has revealed a number of Fultons moving from Ireland around the same time to Kilbarchan to work in the village as hand loom weavers. I suspect that many of them were related but I have no solid evidence of this yet.

Is there anyone else out there who has an interest in this and would like to offer information and see what I have got with a view to trying to link up some of these Irish Fultons?

Hoping for a contact.

AllanWD
Fulton

Offline dtcairns

• RootsChat Extra
  • So these wee ones will know
    • View Profile
Re: Fultons in Kilbarchan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 11 22:18 GMT (UK) »
AllanWD:

I have only one Fulton lead.  Mary McKenna married a brother of my great-grandfather, John Cairns, December 22, 1877 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire.   Mary's parents were George McKenna and Mary Fulton (McKenna).

John Cairns, along with his mother and siblings, came from the Gilford, County Down area sometime in the early to mid 1870's and lived in the Johnstone/Kilbarchan villiages.  John owned a bootmaking shop in Houston Square for many years 19th and early 20th centuries.  Like you, I wonder if there were relatives in the area or if it was just employment that drew the family to the area.

You might try Scotland's People for the marriage record of George McKenna and Mary Fulton.  The death record for Mary might also give you a clue about her parents and birth place.

Donn Cairns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
CAIRNS/KERNS (Down or Armagh and Renfrewshire); DONALDSON (Down); QUIN (Armagh or Down); McBRIDE (Down); and SMYTH (Down).

Offline AllanWD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donn,

Thanks for your interest.

The Mary Fulton that you mentioned as being the mother of Mary McKenna who married John Cairns in 1877 would have to have been born around 1825 - 1835 I reckon. However, I know of a Mary Fulton who was born in Kilbarchan around 1839/40 - just possibly Mary McKenna's mother if they both married quite young. Her parents were James Fulton and Elizabeth Pattison. James was born in Ireland around 1811. This family lived in Ewing St in Kilbarchan at the 1841 census. Also living in Ewing St was my ggg grandfather Hugh Fulton, born in Ireland around 1790, and his wife Mary McNeil and young family. I have often wondered if he and James were related (perhaps uncle and nephew) simply because they lived in the same street, but I have nothing that proves it. If they were related and this Mary Fulton was Mary McKenna's mother, then you and I are related. Too many "ifs" though.

Take care,

Allan
Fulton

Offline tommcaleer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
My wife is the sixth generation down from James Fulton and Elizabeth PAttison. I have his parendts as James Fulton and ? McNeil.    All we know about him is he was born in Ireland about 1811.  He and Elizabeth were married in Kilbarchan on 28 Sept 1833.  He had a daughter Mary born 1939 who married James Tinto in Kilbarchan in 1862.  They had 9 children and  some  have the Fulton/ Pattison names in their names.  Mary died in Glasgow in 1909.  I have quite a lot about this family.   

Offline AllanWD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

Thanks for responding.

I have come across the details for James Fulton and Elizabeth Pattison in my searches. I have speculated that this James's father, also James as you indicated, could be the brother of my ggg grandfather Hugh Fulton. (See my reply to Donn Cairns.) The fact that you say his wife's maiden name was McNeil is coincidental since Hugh's wife was Mary McNeil. Perhaps they were sisters. We also have them all living in Ewing St in Kilbarchan at the same time.. If in fact they were brothers then I am related to your wife. However, we don't have any solid proof yet. I have an excel file with all my information on the Fultons from this period down to my mother, who died in 1995. If you would like to see it I could send it to you via a personal message. (I have not done this yet in rootschat but I suppose it must be fairly easy.)

Allan
Killearn, Stirlingshire
Fulton

Offline tommcaleer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes please, wife speaking now.  How can I send you my email without publishing it here?  If/ when I receive your address I will be in touch.
                                                            Maureen.

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 March 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi  all

Allan I have sent you a Private message

This seems to by my husband's branch if the family.  Another roots chatter a few years ago was kind enought to find me some information on  this branch of the Fultons

Mary
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 March 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Fulton born abt 1806 Ireland

Married

1. Sarah Mooney
2. Maria Williamson

my husband is descend from Joseph and Sarah

Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 March 11 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Found my original post   on the Fulton family

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,210956.0.html