Author Topic: Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds  (Read 9555 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Moses and Esther Palestrant in Leeds
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 May 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Again

Not sure if you have this information, but here go's anyway.....

1901 census

49 Albert Grove , Leeds

Abraham HOFFMAN / head / age 34 / Travelling Jeweller / born Austria
Annie Hoffman / wife / age 25 / born Russia
Joseph Hoffman / son / age 5 / born Manchester
Noah Hoffman / son / age 3 / born Manchester  ( registered as Marcus Noah Hoffman )
Jack COHEN / nephew / age 20 / Travelling Jeweller / born Leeds

I have not , as yet found them,  in 1911.

Abraham HOFFMAN married Annie POLESTROUT at the New Synagogue, Chapeltown Road in 1895 (from Yorkshirebmd)
on Find my past it is transcribed as POLESTRANT / reg March qtr 1895 / Leeds / 9b 602

I did have a look to see if I could find Moses and Esther's marriage, as badly mistranscribed with no luck , I am afraid....

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 May 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
1901 census

49 Albert Grove , Leeds

Abraham HOFFMAN / head / age 34 / Travelling Jeweller / born Austria
Annie Hoffman / wife / age 25 / born Russia
Joseph Hoffman / son / age 5 / born Manchester
Noah Hoffman / son / age 3 / born Manchester  ( registered as Marcus Noah Hoffman )
Jack COHEN / nephew / age 20 / Travelling Jeweller / born Leeds

I have not , as yet found them,  in 1911.
You are amazing!

Yes, thanks, I do have the Hoffman census and have their marriage as well.  I have ordered Joseph's birth...I believe he is registered as Isaac Joseph Hoffman, that makes sense as our known Feldberg patriarch's name was Isaac, although it could also be a coincidence.

Yes, finding them in 1911 is very difficult.  I keep wondering if they left England for South Africa or the USA but the passenger listings for  Hoffmans with unknown first names or initials are way too long.  If they came to the USA, then having Joseph's exact birth date may help me find them, and his birth cert will be coming.

I believe that is the same nephew Jack Cohen who Moses said on his Ellis Island record that he would be visiting when he came to the USA in 1910.

I also have Jacob Cohen's birth record hopefully coming, there were only 2 registered likely to be him, I hope I picked the right one.  That can help confirm his mother was a Palestrant and help me find him in the USA.

I have Jack Cohen family's censuses as well for 1881 and 1891 in Leeds.  I do not think the family was intact in 1901, at least not in England, but not sure why.  His parents were probably Napthali and Mary.   Listed under Head of Household Naphthali in the 1881 census and Napthall in 1891 at Ancestry.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 May 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello...

It appears that the Hoffman's did go to South Africa, at some point.

Isaac Joseph Hoffman, born December 12th 1895, married Rose Joseph and had at least one child. Mervyn at Cape Town in February 4th 1936-1988

There is someone on Ancestry (Hoffman Tree) with Isaac as a relative. Mervyn's wife and children are still living. They do not appear to know who Isaac Joseph's father was, or his mother's maiden name though

Jeannie

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 May 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
I am quite excited !!

Looking to ascertain Jack Cohen's parentage I came across this family

1891 census
49 Hope Street, Leeds

Hyman COHEN / head / age 30 / Travelling Jeweller / born Russia
Betsy Cohen / wife / age 29 / born Russia
JACOB Cohen / son / age 10 / born Russia
Owe Cohen / daughter / age 7 / born Leeds
Abraham Cohen / son / age 5 / born Leeds
Joseph Cohen / son / age 3 / born Leeds
JANE POTESTRANT / mother in law /married / age 46 / born Poland

The actual image is very good, and it looks to me as if the first T, is in fact a L
Although it states Jacob was born in Russia, there is birth registration for a Jacob Issacher Cohen in Leeds at that time.......

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 May 11 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi have found this and think it is a part of what you are looking for;

New Briggate Cemetery        Plot   926   Date of death: 7 Aug. 1939

Name: Esther PALESTRANT    aged 69

Hebrew name- Esther Malcah b. Issur Nachamon.

Can't locate Moses but there is a Rany Palestrant buried there.

I found the record on the Jewishjen site.

Claire.t
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 May 11 06:03 BST (UK) »
Isaac Joseph Hoffman, born December 12th 1895, married Rose Joseph and had at least one child. Mervyn at Cape Town in February 4th 1936-1988
Wowee zowee!   Is this from some index or the tree you found?  What does 1935-1988 mean?
There is someone on Ancestry (Hoffman Tree) with Isaac as a relative. Mervyn's wife and children are still living. They do not appear to know who Isaac Joseph's father was, or his mother's maiden name though
That is pretty common for trees, most people don't bother doing extensive research on spouses of relatives.  I am sure they will like to hear from me once I resubscribe, thanks for the tip.

And thanks for saving me from more fruitless hunting elsewhere!  They may not know much, but that doesn't mean that nobody knows. 

I find many older folks do not want to tell their offspring someone is studying the family history, yet I often hear from their grandchildren who are ecstatic to have found their family history when searching the web.  So there is still a chance for some more leads, someone in a tree can be a link to folks who do know more.

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 May 11 06:19 BST (UK) »
I am quite excited !!

Looking to ascertain Jack Cohen's parentage I came across this family

1891 census
49 Hope Street, Leeds

Hyman COHEN / head / age 30 / Travelling Jeweller / born Russia
Betsy Cohen / wife / age 29 / born Russia
JACOB Cohen / son / age 10 / born Russia
Owe Cohen / daughter / age 7 / born Leeds
Abraham Cohen / son / age 5 / born Leeds
Joseph Cohen / son / age 3 / born Leeds
JANE POTESTRANT / mother in law /married / age 46 / born Poland

The actual image is very good, and it looks to me as if the first T, is in fact a L
Although it states Jacob was born in Russia, there is birth registration for a Jacob Issacher Cohen in Leeds at that time.......
Wow, very good!  Hmmm, I guess we wait to see the other Jacob Cohen's birth cert to see if this little fellow is Jacob Issachar or just Jacob.   I recall seeing this Potestrant before and not placing her. I wonder who and where her husband is but I guess we should wait and see the certificate.

But it looks like you are on to something big.  Too bad all the records where my family was from in Makow were destroyed thru 1897, it would make it a whole lot easier if they had survived to research this.

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 May 11 06:29 BST (UK) »

Can't locate Moses but there is a Rany Palestrant buried there.

I found the record on the Jewishjen site.
This is fantastic, if I can find a way to get Esther's and Rany's tombstone images I will be ecstatic.

But do you mean Jewishjen or JewishGen?  I cannot find a jewishjen, so assume you mean JewishGen.org

Can you tell me where on the JewishGen site?  When I search the online burial registry, I am told there are no Palestrants in England.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/cemetery

thanks!

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 May 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
claire.t helped me find the listings at the following JewishGen database for Leeds:

http://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Leeds.htm

They search the entire UK database for Leeds entries for the surname of interest, and the burials are apparently not in the Jewishgen Worldwide Burial Registry, which is a totally separate database.