Author Topic: Charlotte Caldwell married Walter Cathcart  (Read 7849 times)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte Caldwell married Walter Cathcart
« on: Friday 18 March 11 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Anyone have anything for Caldwell's in Scotland?  Renfrewshire?  I am stuck.  I have a Charlotte Caldwell who married Walter Cathcart in  Abbey Renfrew in 1800.  I cannot find anything for her other than a whole list of children born to her and Walter.  From what I can gather there seems to be a link of extreme importance to her in the names of Alexander and Jean (jane) She followed the Scotish tradition for names.  She continued to name children Alexander & Jean, if one died bearing that name.  Her parents may or may not have been Alexander &  Jean however.    Charlotte died between 1824 and 1831.   None of her children  were born  bearing the name "Charlotte"  I can trace no family names of Alexander & Jean to Walter. I maybe putting to much in the names Alexander & Jean, but she seemed to be drawn to those names.
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Johnrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Caldwell married Walter Cathcart
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 11 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sorry am not able to assist with Charlotte Cardwell however I do have an interest with Walter Cathcart whom she married in 1800. Walter Cathcart had  8 siblings. One of those was a John Cathcart b 1766. I believe John married a Margaret Walker in 1789. John and Margaret had a son Robert b 1793. It is Roberts movements that I am trying to trace. Have you done any research with Walters siblings? It may help me as I am also stuck in trying to match family from Ireland and England to family that were originally from Scotland.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 17:14 BST (UK) »

I think I may have some information on

can you tell me who you found to be Walters parents?  I want to make sure that I am on the right track.  I will look into my information and see if I have anything on John.  I just saw this.

Hi, Sorry am not able to assist with Charlotte Cardwell however I do have an interest with Walter Cathcart whom she married in 1800. Walter Cathcart had  8 siblings. One of those was a John Cathcart b 1766. I believe John married a Margaret Walker in 1789. John and Margaret had a son Robert b 1793. It is Roberts movements that I am trying to trace. Have you done any research with Walters siblings? It may help me as I am also stuck in trying to match family from Ireland and England to family that were originally from Scotland.
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Johnrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Walter Cathcart (b-Nov 1780) parents were father Robert Cathcart written as Robert Carcart and Mary Baird.Robert and Mary married on 10 June 1763.
Your Walter married Charlot Caldwell around 15 Jan 1800. Walter was the youngest of 8 children born to Robert Carcart and Mary Baird. Walter had an elder brother John born 1766. I believe John married a Margaret Walker in 1789. John and Margaret had a son Robert b 1793. It is that Roberts movements that I am trying to trace. Have you done any research with Walters siblings? It may help me as I am also stuck in trying to match family from Ireland and England to family that were originally from Scotland.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I will check all my records tonight, when I get home from work.  I have not done any research on his siblings, but sometimes I do end up with a record or two on the other family members, that I saved.   I Will check on that tonight.    Did you find that the Cathcarts moved into Ireland  any point and then back to Scotland? 

Offline Johnrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Travel records of our Cathcart family moving from Scotland to Ireland elude me. I suspect some of Walters siblings  did move to Ireland and even to USA around the 1800's. It seems your Walter stayed in Scotland for his working life is recorded as died 23 Nov 1839.Paisley. Have you come across any travel information on the family.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
There will be no record of movements to and from Ireland. It was one country so no need to complete a shipping manifest. A lot of movement, to and from, between Ireland and the rest of the UK by boat at that time.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genie McK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
My husbands 4x Great Grandparents were Walter Cathcart and Charlotte Caldwell.
Their son Robert who married Marion Storie on 23rd June 1836 is his 3x Great Grandfather.
I have 8 children for Robert Cathcart & Mary Baird.  I haven't found birth details yet for Charlotte Caldwell - but I am looking!

Jean
Hyndman (Argyll, Bute & Ayrshire), Harris (Hereford), Stevenson (Ayrshire), Strachan, Montgomery, Baillie (All Ayrshire).
McKellar (Renfrewshire), McGallan (Ayrshire/Renfrewshire), Birmingham (India/Ireland), Walker (Fife)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 March 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous!  Me too  If you find something please let me know.  I am related to your husband. My Grandfather Walter Smith, Father Robert Smith, Wife Jean Cathcart  I have all the kids birth records, Just no information on Charlotte and it makes me think that she might have been born somewhere else possibly, Like Ireland.  Or of course just no record.  If you need a record, before buying it let me know, I might already have it.   

My husbands 4x Great Grandparents were Walter Cathcart and Charlotte Caldwell.
Their son Robert who married Marion Storie on 23rd June 1836 is his 3x Great Grandfather.
I have 8 children for Robert Cathcart & Mary Baird.  I haven't found birth details yet for Charlotte Caldwell - but I am looking!

Jean