Author Topic: Charlotte Caldwell married Walter Cathcart  (Read 7848 times)

Offline Genie McK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Caldwell married Walter Cathcart
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 March 15 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear back from you.  I was working on this tree last night and getting really confused.  It appeared that I had duplicates in the tree.  Turns out that in addition to Robert Cathcart and Marion Storie, my husband also has Mary Ann Cathcart and William Pender in his tree.  Mary Ann Cathcart is the daughter of Walter Cathcart and Charlotte Caldwell.  That means that two of my husbands 3x Great Grandparents were brother and sister.
I'll chew this over and get back to you for further info - likewise if you need any further info let me know.
Jean
Hyndman (Argyll, Bute & Ayrshire), Harris (Hereford), Stevenson (Ayrshire), Strachan, Montgomery, Baillie (All Ayrshire).
McKellar (Renfrewshire), McGallan (Ayrshire/Renfrewshire), Birmingham (India/Ireland), Walker (Fife)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 March 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I will have to look at my information, Something might be wrongly connected.  I will check later and get back to you.

Lovely to hear back from you.  I was working on this tree last night and getting really confused.  It appeared that I had duplicates in the tree.  Turns out that in addition to Robert Cathcart and Marion Storie, my husband also has Mary Ann Cathcart and William Pender in his tree.  Mary Ann Cathcart is the daughter of Walter Cathcart and Charlotte Caldwell.  That means that two of my husbands 3x Great Grandparents were brother and sister.
I'll chew this over and get back to you for further info - likewise if you need any further info let me know.
Jean
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Dubs Earley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Both!
The Cathcarts are my main point of research at the moment, having them back to 1710 so far, I come down the line of John in 1766, he would be my 4 x great grandson of John and Margaret Walker.
If any one would like to chat and has access tot his thread still or would like my email to talk direct then that would be great.
Dubhlainn Earley

Offline markheal

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 March 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Greetings CATHCART researchers

A son of Walter CATHCART is a William CATHCART born about 1815.  I have not found a death date for him but I will value your opinion about a William CATHCART who lived and settled longterm in the Argentine and founded a newspaper [below].

WILLIAM CATHCART ???
1815–
BIRTH 25 FEB 1815 • Abbey Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
DEATH DECEASED
=====

The Buenos Ayres Herald (the original spelling) was founded in 1876 by William Cathcart, an ageing Scot who had spent 50 years in “the Argentine.” It constituted of a single sheet with advertising on the front and mostly shipping coverage on the back (with the odd general news and community item thrown in).
https://en.mercopress.com/2017/08/02/the-buenos-aires-herald-part-of-argentina-s-history-folds-after-more-than-140-years

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=845167.msg7120323#msg7120323
ANSTRUTHER,Worldwide
BENNETT,
BRETT, Sligo
CARNEGIE,
CROCKFORD, Hampshire.
ELLIOT,
GAUNTLETT, Worldwide
HEAL, HEALE, HELE, Chew Magna, Somerset
HENRY, Sligo
MABEY, Dorset
O'HANLON
POPE, London docklands,
STANDERWICK, Somerset,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 March 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I too am interested in discovering more info re: Cathcarts and name variants.
William Cathcart of unknown origin was listed on his son John's Marriage Certificate in Dublin 1848 as a Slater, but in later documents as a Gardener and a Farmer. On John's second marriage in 1853 at Preston, Lancashire he says his father William is deceased, but I have found no record of that yet.   John says he was born in Ireland in 1828 and married Ann Bowles in Dublin in 1848, moved to Preston, where she and their firstborn ( William) died in 1850.  He then married Jane Dickinson ( b 1832 Bolton-le-Sands - d.1875 @ Lancaster). Their children, James, George & Annie appear in the 1861 Census @ Kendal, Westmorland and in the 1871 Census ' Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland and with the addition of another son (John b.1869 @ Alloa) and a daughter Jane , I think 1867,who died in infancy.
In the 1881 Census they are dispersed but John senior and juniorand Annie are all in Lancaster at different addresses and George is @ Kendal once again.
James is in the Royal Artillery and while posted to Isle of Wight marries in 1874 to local girl Ann Maria Mitchell.  (d. 1885 IoW.)
Their 5th child is Alfred Edward ( sometimes William) Cathcart, b.1884 Freshwater, Isle of Wight who marries Gladys Emma Tubby of Norfolk at Northampton in 1925, and their 2nd child is my mother Gladys Ann Cathcart.
I have much information on cousins of most of them but a few mystery folks, such as George Wilson Cathcart b. 1875 Freshwater, Isle of Wight and the whereabouts of James Cathcart after 1881 Census at South Shoebury, Essex whilst still in the Army.
John Cathcart (b.1869 @ Alloa) marries Mary Dickinson and has a family when living at Chorley, Lancs ... 1891 & 1901 Censuses.  I've yet to trace them after that.
Anything you turn up which helps me will be greatly appreciated.
If you check out the Cathcarts & Kithcarts of Panfield, Essex you will note a son named Walter and they had some family move to Durham before returning to Essex.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline montana2727

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 March 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Cathcart birth being  March 12,1815 Paisley born to Walter and Charlotte I think but I don't have a death record.