Author Topic: Islandmagee Hoy's and McLernon's  (Read 3312 times)

Offline awood

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islandmagee Hoy's and McLernon's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 17 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora from NZ
I have just come across your post and image.  There is no doubt that we are related.
I am Mary Hill Hoy and Patrick Sweeny's grand granddaughter from NZ.
Mary Hill Hoy stayed Australia with William Hoy and then went to NZ to Samuel and Isabella Hoy at 7 Peter Street, Caversham Dunedin. (William and Isabella had 4 children: Jane Reid, Margaret Colville, Agnes and James) great middle names Hill, Reid and Colville - easier to find information
There is a Sue Hill in Canada - who was interested in Samuel Hoy - other distant relative.

Mary and and married Patrick at Christchurch in 1903.
Patrick was from Rathlin Island. He was the  Lighthouse Keeper for the Rathlin Island West lighthouse. (Father was Joseph Sweeney) and there are Sweeney's still running the lighthouse.

Patrick and Mary finally settled in Hamilton and had 6 girls and 2 sons -my grand mother was Barbara and my father was her youngest child George Murray  (who carried on the family tradition of going to sea - Both in British and NZ Navy). Dad married a Scot woman Ann Corrigan and had 5 daughters.
There are no relatives in NZ with the Sweeney name now and the Hoy name there are possibly one of two relatives in Gisborne NZ (James Hoy's descendants.)

Attached is a link to a John Currie Hoy the son of Joseph and Mary with a photo and the story of his death - Courtesy of Stephen Diamond
       http://www.maritimequest.com/daily_event_archive/2010/03_mar/14_ss_bray_head_john_c_hoy.htm 

I hope you see this post and reply

Allyson Wood