Author Topic: Stephen Carey (Lucy Hillman)  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stephen Carey (Lucy Hillman)
« on: Saturday 19 March 11 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all...
I'm looking for information on the parents of STEPHEN CAREY, the only information I have is that he was born around 1794, Wiston Sussex and he married in 1815 to LUCY HILLMAN at Wiston Sussex. As far as I know, Stephen & Lucy were the parents of Philip Carey, born 1814. I know its not much to go on but its all I have. Any help, in any way, shape or form would be very appreciated.
Gotcha

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Carey (Lucy Hillman)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 11 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I regret I cant be of much help, for although Wiston records are on the Internet and both Careys that interest you were married there, no Careys seem to appear amongst their baptisms.  The Careys themselves seem to be predominently located in East Sussex, although there were a few in Storrington about the time that interests you.  Hannah bb to Martha 1789, Richard 1789 & Charlotte 1790 to James & Ann, or an outsider, Richard born to John & Elizabeth 1781. 
If you have no other option, see what you can find out about James & Ann, who seem by location and year to stand the greatest chance of being the parents of your Stephen.

It may also help if you also disclosed a little more on Lucy, for if she was up to 10 years older than Stephen, there is a Lucy Carey at Funtington on the 1841 census that might be her.  Also on that census is a James Carey born c1767, living in the Worthing-Littlehampton area, that could be the James above.     Roy G

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 March 11 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy G
Thank you for your reply. As for other informtion on Lucy, its not much but this is what I have....
She was born around 1782, daughter of "? Thomas & Mary Hillman ?" (Thomas of Grinstead Sussex).
I have a copy of Lucy & Stephen Carey's son, Philip's marriage registrartion (Philips second marriage, surname is misspelled) and on it, it says his parents were Stephen & Lucy. Philip was born in Sussex October 1 1814 along with his siblings Sarah (about 1819), Mary (about 1820) & Harriet (about 1826). 
To get back to Lucy, she was one of about 8 children born to Thomas & Mary.
Gotcha

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Your findings on Lucy conflict with another unconfirmed entry on the IGI that has Lucy (who married Stephen Carey in Wiston 11 July 1815), as born in STEYNING 1782, and states she was the daughter of CHESMORE Hillman and Mary.   I am a little dubious about this, for unless it's Lucy's sibling, the marriage of the parents (Chesmore to Mary) did not take place until 17 years AFTER Lucy was born. Roy G

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 March 11 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello...there is a tree on RootsWeb that says that Chesman Thomas Hillman (1749-1799) & Thomas are the same person...
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=heatherduff&id=I3563

Gotcha

Offline EnglandtoUSA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello - Philip Carey's first marriage was to my 3 Great Grandmother - Mary Golds on 19 Apr 1835 in Wiston, Sussex, England, just prior to sailing to the Canada.  You reference having a copy of their marriage record.  Would it be possible to get a copy or tell me where I could obtain a copy?  My 2nd Great Grandparents, David & Frances (Carey) Harris, married in Canada, but then migrated to Michigan, USA.  However, I believe all the other siblings remained in Canada.  Philip second married Mary Hodges between 1861-1865.  I would like to get their marriage record as well.  Philip died 12 Feb 1906 in St. Mary's, Perth Co, Ontario, Canada.   I did not have Philip's parents names and was glad to find your post.  Anything new that you can share would be appreciated.