Author Topic: BLUNDEN  (Read 24476 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLUNDEN
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 June 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
hi Leanne I've just sent you a pm...the pic is too large to upload, I may be able to send it to you via email, Its a grave/headstone that caught my eye while I was in a graveyard in Tramore County Waterford...I took a photo of it.

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 June 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I've sent you an e-mail  :)
BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 August 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
some photos of Castle Blunden  at            www.buildingsofireland.ie
[reg no for Castle Blunden is 12401906
            entrance gates          12401905 
                   gateway              12401919
                  farmyard              12401920
                gate lodge              12401907
                ice house                12401915
[you can also get information about its garden in "garden" section of same site.  Includes aerial image and map image  :)

[

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 December 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Found this & knew you'd get a kick out of it.  Sorry it is in the wrong location, too lazy to seek out any London queries....
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ingram/StSaviour/presentments.html
( also Christopher & Henry as Blundell inkeepers under Wills) basic infotranscribed on page
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ingram/StSaviour/wills-b.html

1632 November; 1633 February to June...for being bad on the sabboth
Item   [we] present William Sherlock and Overington Blundon for suffering their servants to work on the Sabbath day in service time
Wonder if it is the Whitster I found for you many years ago on another site that no longer exists. Man I can't believe it was erased, how silly...all that information could have remained in Google cache. All that research from so many people...never to be found, just gone!!!

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 December 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
more snippets...Hey,  building something new was probably the talk of the town...( they actually were keeping track to avoid sprawl... Like that worked  ;))
For the Parishe of St Sauiours in Southwarke                                           
[Endorsed:]  The returne of newe buildinges & warrant for the same       
The libty of old Paris garden wthin the said Parish of St Saviours as followeth
(A great list of buildings being erected in previous decades)
One stable built wth timber vppon a newe foundacion by William Hind worth 10s per Annum, Overington Blunden being nowe the tenant thereof.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ingram/StSaviour/foundations.html

and he was having a good stretch, excused a month's rent a few years later! https://books.google.ca/books?id=dVU4AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA365&lpg=PA365&dq="overington+blunden+"

These occupations were extracted from christenings.... Overington  with occ Whitster, (listed along with with John (Overington?) Blunden) the other Overington as well, listed as a Guard...No date given, but so if you don't have all those christenings, they appear to have found them. The inkeepers Henry & George also listed as Blunden in there.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ingram/StSaviour/vocations.html

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol22/pp94-100
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Overington Blunden mentions on the peerage

http://www.thepeerage.com

Offline EJACKSON58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 November 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm researching the Blunden's of Kilkenny.  Particularly any with links to Castle Blunden as this is where my family lived (lives). 

My biggest brick wall so far is Overington Blunden (b. cir 1600), father of Overington Blunden (b. bef 1630) who married Elizabeth Field in 1647 in Bisley, Surrey, England.  They had 6 children that I know of being John; Robert; Dorothy; Sarah; Mary and Lydia.  They all lived at Castle Blunden in Kilkenny.

Is there anyone else researching this line, or anyone who has any information?

Regards,
Leeanne Blunden

Hello Leanne,

Well, I'm not sure if this is related exactly to your post, but I found you by googling 'Blunden' - but Alice Blunden is my 2 x great grandmother on my maternal line. (Alice married a Newman - he was born in Banstead but moved to Kent, tenant farmer) who married an Allingham, whose daughter was my mother.... Long story short, my mother told me that it was said there was Irish blood in the family, but she wasn't sure if it was on her mother's side or her father's. So far I've been unable to verify a link; BUT if my 2 x great-grandmother Alice Blunden turns out to be related to your family, perhaps that may be the link...  I recently uploaded my DNA to MyHeritage, and one of the matches which came up was for a David Upson (aged 70's), whose mother was Dorothy Lillian Upson (born Blunden)...  I have only recently messaged the Upson tree owner and am awaiting a response, so I am not sure how that will pan out. 

Interestingly (or perhaps not!) going back to Thomas Blunden b1728, Ancestry suggest HIS father may be a Thomas BLUNDELL... the spooky thing is, my late paternal grandmother had tenants of that surname in Aldershot... what are the chances.... LOL. It may be a transcription error, I'll be looking into that.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling - TBH I'm not sure if the Blundens are the Irish link of family lore, but it would be good to know if anything on my tree matches yours. And if you have any DNA information that might be another way to verify either way.

Offline Tobye

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 December 19 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hey,

My Grandfather was John Blunden. He joined the IRB and ran away to London after getting into some kind of trouble during the rising. He changed his name to Blendell and was a waiter in the Ritz... I'm trying to find a birth certificate for him primarily and although he lived in Waterford before running to England, the coincidence of names is intriguing.

Offline EJACKSON58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 September 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hey,

My Grandfather was John Blunden. He joined the IRB and ran away to London after getting into some kind of trouble during the rising. He changed his name to Blendell and was a waiter in the Ritz... I'm trying to find a birth certificate for him primarily and although he lived in Waterford before running to England, the coincidence of names is intriguing.

That's certainly an interesting story, Tobye!  Always interesting when ancestors change their names! I hope you managed to find his birth certificate and more about him.   :)