Author Topic: Bradley of Erganagh?  (Read 24058 times)

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
Bradley of Erganagh?
« on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi all! I am brand new to "Rootschat".
Have a question please, I have original letters from my ggg-grandfather William Bradley (from Erganagh) to his son Bernard Bradley (in South Carolina) dated 1859. At this time, would you think that the Erganagh mentioned is from Co. Derry and not Co. Tyrone? Many thanks to you all!
Leenie :)
Bradley in Erganagh, Kilrea, Co. Londonderry, N. Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley of Erganagh?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 townlands called Erganagh in Ireland-
1) Co.Londonderry: Kilrea civil parish, Ballymoney Poor Law Union
2) Tyrone: Ardstraw civil parish, Castlederg Poor Law Union

Bradley is a common surname but there's this Will Extract for a Bradley of Erganagh, Co.Londonderry on PRONI website (www.proni.gov.uk)- "Administration of the Estate of Annie Bradley late of Erganagh County Londonderry Spinster who died 2 April 1915 granted at Londonderry to Patrick Bradley Farmer."

Howwever, there are also Bradleys in Erganagh Glebe, Co.Tyrone in 1901 Census- see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Leenie,
           Welcome to Rootschat. As Aghadowey has said there are two townlands (small administrative areas) called Erganagh in Ireland. in 1860 the one in Tyrone has a Jane Bradley as head of house.
However in Co. Londonderry in 1858 there are several Bradley families living in Erganagh and two of these are William and Bernard who share a farm but live in seperate houses. Bernard's house is described as "caretakers house". This may be your William.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness!
Dear Aghadowey and Kingskerswell, thank you so very much for answering my plea!
I am so excited and believe that the Bradley's in Co. Londonderry must be my Bradleys! Kingskerswell - please, where did you find the information about; Co. Londonderry in 1858 there are several Bradley families living in Erganagh and two of these are William and Bernard who share a farm but live in seperate houses. Bernard's house is described as "caretakers house".

Yes, there is a farm that is mentioned in the letters - my GGGG-grandfather William and his Uncle Bernard would have had it...

The letter:
My Dear Son, Mr. Bernard Bradley,
I am glad to learn from Mr. Bernard Boyd, newly arrived from Charleston, that you are still alive and not engaged in this awful war. we have been troubled about you previous to his coming but thank God we are now in hopes of hearing and seeing you after the war is ended. We would be glad to know from you in case you could think of coming home and fall into Uncle Bernard house and land together with my fathers which is now into one Ticket and in my Father’s name and will until his death.

Alexander has L100 against it and Uncle Bernard labours a part of it for interest of the money. He and Family would be happy that you would never come back and was uplifted boasting that you were put down in the war. Now my dear son, I want you to send or come home with L50 and enjoy my possessions and I would be glad that you would set a time for doing so in the name of God and write  home and let me know your intentions, yes or no, as I am but delicate and might not live as long as you would expect and I intend holding the place as long as I live for you. And in case you have any revenge in you you will set a time and either send or come according as I have directed. We will look upon you being ungrateful in case you do not reply I am sending this line as an enclosure. your father William Bradley

Thank you with all of my heart!
I am in Savannah, Georgia, USA
Love, Leenie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 11 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Leenie,
           The information comes from the Griffiths Valuation, a survey of all property in Ireland between 1847 and 1864 for taxation purposes. Co. Londoonderry was done in 1858. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much! :)

Offline bad bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
According to the Griffiths valuation of 1858, There are three 'Bradley' families living in the Erganagh just outside Kilrea. John Bradley lived on the largest farm. This settlement still exists although the original building was replaced quite recently. The other two farms occupied by William Bradley and Dominick Bradley have disappeared long ago but I think I know where they once stood (approx). I've also been told that up until fairly recently the old wallsteads  there were known as 'Kittys'. (Please don't accept this piece as fact! I'll make more inquiries on this). In c. 1835 a William Bradley married Kitty Convery at Ballinascreen (Draperstown). If you are trying to trace your Bradley ancestors still living in the Erganagh I have to tell you that only a possible descendant of John Bradley now lives in the area. Of course it is entirely possible you may be related to her, the only foolproof way of telling would be through DNA investigation.
Bill

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The connection is not clear to me but William Bradley did indeed marry Kitty Convery on 10 Feb 1835 in Draperstown Roman Catholic Church, Magherafelt District.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Bad Bill,
Okay, first of all, how could you be bad if you are into genealogy? I just don't get it!

Any way, many thanks for answering my post. I have found it difficult to get back on track in my hunt for the Bradley's... but I will find them! I find it amazing that you know about the Bradley's in Erganagh. Something funny is going on here. I can't figure it out though... Through Facebook I was given info. about the Bradley's that still live on the "Erganagh" Road, I have even talked on the phone to Mary (whom I believe you referred to in your post as she who could be the descendant of John Bradley)... at this time though, I am not sure she has all of her family tree figured out and we have not yet made a perfect connection!

Soooo... how is it that YOU know of the Bradleys here????? Bad Bill, who are you? Where do you live in that you think you might know where the farms of William and Dominick once stood?  I'm am quite certain that the "William" mentioned in the GV in 1858 is my GGG-grandfather. Hope and pray to visit one day and sense our "home"

THANK YOU!
Kathleen