Author Topic: Bradley of Erganagh?  (Read 24052 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley of Erganagh?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thomas Crilly married Catherine Bradley 1856 Kilrea RC Church (St. Annes) Catherine's father is recorded as William Bradley, Williams wife is recorded as Peggy

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness JoeMc!!!!

That is incredible information! Thank you! Thank you! Where are you seeing this please? Is there any thing else on the record?
THank you!
Kathleen
Bradley in Erganagh, Kilrea, Co. Londonderry, N. Ireland

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, the record can be found here:http://derry.rootsireland.ie/ and is a transcription from the church register

I don't have access to the full record, it may give Peggy's surname and should give address information, to view the full record costs 5 Euro

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thank you again!

Question please!:

On the Census of Ireland, 1901 - FORM B. 1. House and Building Return - The first Column is titled "No. of House or Building" and the listing goes from 1 to 14. Are these numbers simply the order in which the census taker ordered the households or do the numbers refer to anything? (as in the way we have addresses today?)

Also, do these numbers have anything to do with the "No. and Letters of Reference to Map" on Griffith's Valuation? I am trying to tie some homesteads together!
Thank you, Kath

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
On the Census of Ireland, 1901 - FORM B. 1. House and Building Return - The first Column is titled "No. of House or Building" and the listing goes from 1 to 14. Are these numbers simply the order in which the census taker ordered the households or do the numbers refer to anything? (as in the way we have addresses today?) The numbers are merely for that particular census form.

Also, do these numbers have anything to do with the "No. and Letters of Reference to Map" on Griffith's Valuation? I am trying to tie some homesteads together!No. The numbers on the printed Griffith's Evaluation form will be those on the Griffith's maps- see
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

I was hoping it was that easy... to tie house numbers in 1901 to the GV map numbers in 1860... I'm guess you are having a good laugh at this!

Kath

Offline bad bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi KathBMC
The location of the farm once occupied by William Bradley and until recently known as 'Kittys', is now owned by the T* family. This farm only came into their possession fairly recently. The previous owners were the Kennedy family. I recently asked an elderly neighbor if he could shed any light on who had lived in the old house and he told me he'd never heard Willie Kennedy (the previous owner) call the place anything other than 'Kittys'.
I don't think their is any doubt this is indeed the location from where your ancestor left to go to America.
With any luck the R.C. records on microfilm will show the relationship of the three men living in the townland of the Erganagh in 1858. The most important of these is if Mary's great great grandfather was John Bradley AND if he was a close relation to your William Bradley.
I was involved in writing a biography on Charles B. Franklin called 'Franklins Indians'. This book has only recently been published after many years of research. One of the most difficult pieces of information to uncover only came to light when I hired a professional researcher.  Perhaps if you don't want to go down the DNA route, this may be the best option.
As I sit writing this message, Marys husband has just driven into my next door neighbors yard!
Bill

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
Well, I suppose you have heard enough about my Bradley search, it is a fascinating puzzle. I hope that one day my little ones will appreciate knowing their history.

Funny you say that "Kitty's was previously owned by the Kennedy's!
You see, I have 3 original letters from Erganagh. 2 are dated 1863 and 1859.

In one letter, it mentions "Mr. Lawrence Kennedy & family are well..." As I see on the Griffith's Valuation map - Lawrence Kennedy's land was adjacent to my William Bradley way back in the 1860's!!! Perhaps the Kennedy family bought the land from Kitty! I wonder if any of the Kennedy's are still around! If you could ever possibly get the scoop from the T*s or anyone on Kitty's place, I'd sure appreciate it!

I suppose my next step is the microfilm...don't know that Mary would do DNA! Ha! I'd love for her to find out the names of her ancestors... hopefully one day!
Thank you very much way over the pond!
Kathleen

Offline bad bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Again KathBMC
I really think you should stay with this now and try and bring to a conclusion! Mary would be prepared to go the DNA route, I've already asked her! But I think you should try and recruit a local genealogist to research the microfilm records first.
 As I mentioned in my last message, I used the services of a chap called * from Co. Wicklow to find out some info on the family of Charles Bayly Franklin. (If any of your family are into motorcycles, they'll probably have heard of the 'Indian' motorcycle' This C.B. Franklin was an Irishman who designed the 'Chief' and 'Scout' models). The cost of this research was £200 ($300) and it was worth every penny!
I've already been in touch with the oldest member of the T* family still alive regarding this Bradley research. This is * T*. Unfortunately he was unable to say for if any of the Bradleys in the Erganagh in 1858 were related.
Willie Kennedy died a few years ago. Most if not all of that older generation who might have been able to help us have passed on.
Regards
Bill

* details of living people now removed in this and previous posts in accordance with Rootschat policy