Author Topic: Bradley of Erganagh?  (Read 24048 times)

Offline bad bill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley of Erganagh?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi KathBMC
I've spent a bit of time trying to figure out if you are indeed related to Mary. Her great great grandfather is very very likely to have been the John Bradley, a tenant farmer on this 30 acre farm in 1858. The Cassidys now own this land. In addition to John Bradley, only two other families with the name Bradley lived in the townland of the Erganagh at this time. One was Dominick Bradley, the other was a William Bradley who must have been your ancestor. It may be that  these Bradleys were related to one another, perhaps brothers. Unfortunately, despite my research I couldn't prove this.
I now know for sure where William Bradley lived in 1858. This dwelling was only wallsteads until recently when the farmer removed the remaining structure and returned this to farmland. This particular old dwelling was known as 'Kittys'. In an earlier message I suggested that this lady may have been Kitty Convery. This is incorrect. The lady who once lived here was called Kitty Crilly.
Should you or your family decide to come for a visit, I would be more than happy to show you the site where William Bradley had his farm in 1858.
A few years ago, my brother was contacted by a gentleman in Canada of the same name who wanted to find out if they were related. They both decided to undergo the new DNA test. This cost a few hundred pounds but did indeed prove beyond doubt they were related. I suspect that for you to prove a relationship beyond doubt with Mary Cassidy, this DNA test may be the only foolproof way because the local Roman Catholic Church was burned in the early 1800's destroying most, if not all, birth marriage and death records. The burning of the Four Courts in Dublin during the Civil War destroyed these records also. This is why genealogy in the Kilrea area (in the R.C. population) is so difficult.
Bill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
......the local Roman Catholic Church was burned in the early 1800's destroying most, if not all, birth marriage and death records. The burning of the Four Courts in Dublin during the Civil War destroyed these records also. This is why genealogy in the Kilrea area (in the R.C. population) is so difficult.

just to point out that no RC records were held in the Four Courts. The Church records destroyed where those for the Church of Ireland, which had been deposited in the Records office.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bad bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Thanks for this information regarding the Four Courts records.
I presume you will be able to tell me where I can find the state records of the R.C. population  from this period?
Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Not sure exactly what you mean by "state records of the R.C. population from this period." The only state records regarding Catholics would be in statistcs from census records but the only detail is number of Catholics (and Church of Ireland, Presbyterina and other religions) in each townland.
Any existing records (mainly baptisms and marriages) for R.C. churches are not centralised and are usually held by the individual church.
The government records (civil registrations of births, death and marriages) are a separate thing from church records and all these records survive- births, deaths and Catholic marriages from 1864 and non-Catholic marriages from 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, the Roman Catholic records for the Parish of Kilrea are quite good from the time period and would be worth checking,

Births: 1846 - 1865 & 1874 - 1900

Marriages: 1846 - 1900

Burials: 1846 - 1877

Almost 160 Bradley baptisms in these records as well as 70 Bradley marriage records
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure where you live but PRONI and Coleraine Library have microfilms for the following records of Kilrea (St. Anne's):
1) Baptisms, marriages, death 23 Aug.1846-26 Dec.1860
2) Baptisms Jan.1861-Aug.1865, marriages and death 1861-Mar.1877

Offline KathBMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dear Bernard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Dear All, I can't thank you enough for all of your help. If it weren't for you, I'd never be this close to the old sod!
I would love to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind!

1. On the map of Griffith's Valuation: John, Bernard/William, Dominick and Mary Anne Bradley all have properties adjacent to one another #'s 6, 7, 8 and 9. I understand that there are MANY with the surname of "Bradley" in this area - so am I silly in assuming that since they all four share this farmland that they would be "related"? Please see here:
(http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/single_layer/i8.php?lat=&longt=&dum=0&sheet=27&mysession=2242691366808&info=&place=&county=LONDONDERRY&placename=ERGANAGH&parish=KILREA&country=Ireland&union=&barony=LOUGHINSHOLIN).
2. Bad Bill:
a.In one of the original letters I have from Erganagh in 1863 - it mentions Thomas Crilly - I believe he married my Catherine Bradley (the daughter of my William.) In your post you mentioned "Kitty Crilly" could possibly be a nickname for my Catherine - could you please tell me where you found the info on the land being called "Kitty Crilly's"?
b. Are you IN Kilrea? To know where the exact farm is is amazing! You mentioned that the farmer "removed the remaining structure" is "the farmer" a Bradley by any chance? Would be nice! Ha!  ;D Do you personally know Mary?
3. Would any of you happen to know if the RC records for the Parish of Kilrea are available in any place other than PRONI/Coleraine Library, such as Ancestry.com's international version or perhaps Mormon records? Or shall I visit all of you in Ireland? :-)
Thank you! Thank you!
Can I help you all with any lookups in the states?
 :)
Kath
Bradley in Erganagh, Kilrea, Co. Londonderry, N. Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
1. On the map of Griffith's Valuation: John, Bernard/William, Dominick and Mary Anne Bradley all have properties adjacent to one another #'s 6, 7, 8 and 9. I understand that there are MANY with the surname of "Bradley" in this area - so am I silly in assuming that since they all four share this farmland that they would be "related"? No, you cannot assume all the Bradleys in the area are closely related or even that they are related to each other.

3. Would any of you happen to know if the RC records for the Parish of Kilrea are available in any place other than PRONI/Coleraine Library, such as Ancestry.com's international version or perhaps Mormon records? Ancestry have very few Irish records. You can check the LDS catalogue online at www.familysearch.org- it they have a copy of the records you should be able to order it from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Keep an eye on this website- there were more local church records but the site owner has had to re-do some of the site and everything hasn't been fixed yet-
http://magheragenealogy.org/index.php/home.html