Author Topic: Inscriptions hawick/wilton for miles/hessel/kersal  (Read 4511 times)

Offline rosbrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inscriptions hawick/wilton for miles/hessel/kersal
« on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi i wonder if anyone has any record for the two hawick cemetries for any of the above families. I did look in st. mary's and wilton but to no avail when i was back although i may well have missed them in wilton.
The families i am looking for are miles, kersal and hessel. I do have specfic burial locations for them but had no map of cemetry when i was back so the details meant nothing to me.

Any help greatly appreciated, as i said i have burial locations alongside names and dates of death should that help but thats presuming any names turn up.

Thanks folks for reading anyway.

David

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Inscriptions hawick/wilton for miles/hessel/kersal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
What time frame are you speaking of ...and..which Hessel and Kersal are you seeking info on?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline rosbrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 March 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I'll give you the names i have.

Robert Miles (d.1877 bd. wilton cemetry)
Robert Miles (d.1805)
Robert Miles (d.1827)
James Miles (d.1904 bd. wilton cemetry)
Charles Hessel (d.1860) st,marys or wellogate
Charles Hessel (d.1859) st. marys or wellogate
Isabella Hessel (nee Kennedy d.1873 in STIRLING)
Janet Miles (nee Bramwell) (d.1895 bd. wilton cemetry)
Margaret Hessel (nee Kersal) d.1896 bd. wellogate)
Adam Kersal (d.1862)
Margaret Kersal (nee Dryden) d.1861
Isabella Miles (nee Hessel) d.1902 bd wellogate cemetry
John Bramwell possiblly d1838

I just wrote down a list of the people with those names. It seems like a lot. I hope i haven't flooded you with stuff there but hopefully you might pick out a few!

Thank you very much for your help in advance. Its much appreciated.

David
Euphemia Bramwell (nee Torrance) possibly d1831

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 02:30 GMT (UK) »
DAvid,
         Went through my 3 M.I. books ( the old ones) and foond no Hessel or Kersal. Now that does not mean they were not buried there,just that when these recording were done back in the  30 ish time fram,no stones showed such.
St.Mary's
Wellogate
Wilton.

Now By the looks of things you have the birth and death dates of most of the Kersel and Hessal members ..if not,just ask.

Margaret Dryden and Adam Kersal had 9 know children ....which one of these are you descendant from?
I am from Elizabeth and suspect you could be from Margaret
Margaret marr Charles Hessel Mar 11 1853 Hawick.
They had 3 children before Charles died in Feb 25 1860.
Margaret lived passed the 1891 census
I am not sure who the 1st child,Isabella marr,2nd Child Elizabeth married a Charles Hogg in 1879.
Ah ha..just see on your 2nd post that Isabella Hessel married aMiles...now more chsing for me
The 3rd child Charles was born Dec 13 1859 and died in the same month.
   I do not want to make this too long ..so maybe we should go to private email....hope you have had at least 3 posting.
            Cheers
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Not sure if this is any help to you but there is a James Bramwell Miles (son of Adam Kersel Miles and Catherine Bowie) buried in Wilton cemetary. 

Isabella Hessel was married to James Miles (father of the above Adam Miles and son of Robert Miles and Janet Bramwell)

Sorry can't give you much more info but I only had a brief look into this family when I was at a loose end and decided to start on my friends tree ........ the notes I took are shamefully lacking in detail but I can go back through the records I looked up on SP if there is anything in particular you haven't got as yet.

Offline rosbrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry for late reply as i don't seem to have seen that i had replies for some reason, usually i get an email! Thanks for that, i recognise the adam miles alright, he was a son who drowned at the flex pond just outside hawick. Cheers for the help.

David

Offline lhomewood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  Robert Miles and Janet Bramwell Miles are my 3x great grandparents. I am happy to be in touch and share info, etc. if you're interested.

Lynne