Author Topic: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!  (Read 40383 times)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find my ancestor Edward Ashwin who died quite young as family story relates. Edward I am told died of ‘black jaundice’ which now I believe is known as Weil’s Disease.

Edward was married to Elizabeth Wheeler in 1814 at South Littleton. Edward and Elizabeth had their last child Martin Richard Ashwin in 1831. After Edward’s death Elizabeth went to new Zealand with Martin Richard and his family around 1863.

I have found a burial of an Edward Ashwin on 22nd September 1832 - St Lawrence at Bidford on Avon. This date correlates with family story. This could be my Edward!

I am wondering if anyone would have any information on this Edward Ashwin particularly as to where he was born and who his parents were. I think Edward was born around the 1790’s.

Edward is being very ellusive and I am trying to place him properly as family story is very jumbled - so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real Edward Ashwin!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure you have the right Edward when you say he married in 1814.
There is another Edward Ashwin who married Elizabeth Wells 1823 Church Honeybourne which is 2 mls. from South Littleton.Although there are 2 children prior to this she seems a bit young to have married 1814 so it may be worth considering.
There is a birth registered for Edward Ashwin 1802 Church Honeybourne.
You will need to see the death entry for any more info. on Edward,son of,wife of etc.
You will also need to see their marriage in case another family member was witness.
Edit:OK it may be her after all,can't find an Elizabeth Wells b. Worcs. but there is an Elizabeth Wheeler b. Himbleton c.1795 which is about 4 mls. from Wick.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD AHSWIN!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello jim 1

Thank you for your information. My Edward did marry an Elizabeth Wheeler as I have much evidence in support of this. Elizabeth was born in 1796 at Wick to a Sarah (Rimell) and Richard Wheeler.

I cannot place Edward however. I have found an Edward born in Birmingham in 1788 to an Edward Ashwin and Ann (Roberts). I have found an Edward Ashwin born in 1790 to a Thomas and Pheobe Ashwin. And your find in 1802 would be a little young I think.

Family history says he was born to a Thomas and Ann - but in all my research I find nothing to support this as I believe the Thomas spoken of in family history was born in 1801 as the children mentioned born to them were born in the 1830s and with no Edward amongst them - far to late to be my Edward.

It is a real jumble. The Edward spoken of in family history is supposed to also be of the Ashwins of Bretfortin Manor. I would like to find evidence to support this but can find none.

Any help further would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
There's no alternative but to view the death & marriage as that's all there is about him,hopefully additional information will lead somewhere.As you have positive dates you could email the War.CRO & ask them to look for you.They usually do this free of charge but will only do one,as the marriage is more likely to have extra details that's the one to go for.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your advice - I will try that and hope for some more revealing information on my elusive man. I would go myself however I am in Australia - a bit too far to go at present!

whiteKat

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
You could ask on the War. lookup page & see if anyone's going there soon.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for wills?   See a few at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=powersearch&query=last_name%3dashwin%7cplace%3dwarwickshire&catid=6&mediaarray=*&pagenumber=1&querytype=1

Or used the A2A site to search for references to Bretforton Manor?   Might be useful so it is worth a try.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind that Bretforton is in Worcestershire a seach for Ashwin wills there is even better!
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=powersearch&query=last_name%3dashwin%7cplace%3dworcestershire&catid=6&mediaarray=*&pagenumber=1&querytype=1

Might be worth getting the 1814 one - you order it via the site and they send it direct to you via email.
Andrea

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 11 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I am really getting excited and feel I could possibly be getting a little closer to either thinking there is a link with some Ashwins or ruling others out. Your help and direction is greatly appreciated. I will most certainly pursue your suggestions.

whiteKat