Author Topic: William Thomson/Thompson  (Read 2344 times)

Offline ewblack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomson/Thompson
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information regarding my 2xgreat grandfather William Thomson/Thompson born Old Cumnock about 1841. His parents where John Thomson/Thompson & Betsy (Elizabeth) Dempster. 

William Thomson/Thompson married Margaret Overend in 1865, Maybole, Ayrhshire & had 5 children between 1866-72 (1 born Riccarton, 1 born Glasgow, 3 born Clackmannan).

He then married my 2xgreat grandmother Euphemia Turner (his 2nd wife) 1876 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire and are still there in the 1881 census with his 5 children to Margaret & 3 children to Euphemia.  Euphemia is recorded in the 1891 & 1901censuses with her 3 children in the Kilmarnock area till her death in 1925 where she is recorded as widow of William.

William & at least 2 of his first 5 children are in Old Machar on the 1891 census.  Any help on him is most appreciated.
Thanks
Liz
Black, Miskimmin - Co.Down, Ireland & Ayrshire
Richmond, Steele - Co Antrim, Ireland & Ayrshire
Stirling, Martin - Co Antrim, Ireland
Aird, Sloan, Paul, Milroy, Bain, Boyd, Houston - Ayrshire
Milroy, Wallace - Ayrshire & Lanarkshire

Offline Coryscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomson/Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

William Scott Thompson was my 3x great grandfather, but I am descendant from his son (John Overend Thompson) with his first wife. Unfortunately, I don't have much more information than what you shared about his parents. I can add that he was probably a potter and died around 1916. He may be mentioned in the Ayrshire Express from 12 December 1863 for a disturbing the peace charge. I would love to know if you found out more about William or his parents.

thanks,
Cory

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomson/Thompson
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cory and welcome to Rootschat Liz has not been active on here since 2014 ...If her e-mail address is still the same she will receive a notification and hopefully be in touch ..

Happy New Year Rosie