Author Topic: Tinkers in Scotland,Basket Makers,Hawkers & Tinsmiths  (Read 5060 times)

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tinkers in Scotland,Basket Makers,Hawkers & Tinsmiths
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

I come from a long line of traditional Travellers in Scotland. My Grandfather Edward McCallum was the last person in our family to be Born in a Bow Tent, He was Born in 1929 on Shewallion Moor in Ayrshire. In my blood line I have McCallums,Stewarts & McLarens. I also have McPhees and Drummonds in there too. I have McCallums & Stewarts that married into each others family lots of times ie 1st Cousins Marrying 1st Cousins.

My descendants are all from a large Travelling family and from 1780s-1940s they were travelling between Kilfinnan-Dundee. Between the 1851-1915 they were mostly living around the Balfron & Drymen areas of Scotland, But as you can imagine they were living all over the place Between Dumbartonshire & Stirlingshire. They all lived mainly in Bow Tents and Lived and worked on the Farms, Their Jobs were Spoon Makers,Basket Makers, Tinsmiths etc & the women were mostly Hawkers, selling their Husbands Goods door to door and in the Towns & Villages.

At the moment i am the first person to have traced my family line, I have met Two Cousins through my research and i would love to try and trace any one who might be related to me. I would also like to hear from anyone who is still from the travelling comunity who might know of any of my descendants or even see a picture of any of them.

If you have any one in your tree that is from these areas or infact had any of these Professions please get in contact with me, it would be great to exchange trees. If anyone would like any info on any of the people on my tree, give me a shout.

I am particularly interested in the family names of McCallum,Stewart & McLaren.

Kind Regards

Garry McCallum

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkers in Scotland,Basket Makers,Hawkers & Tinsmiths
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I come from a long line of traditional Travellers in Scotland. My Grandfather Edward McCallum was the last person in our family to be Born in a Bow Tent, He was Born in 1929 on Shewallion Moor in Ayrshire. In my blood line I have McCallums,Stewarts & McLarens. I also have McPhees and Drummonds in there too. I have McCallums & Stewarts that married into each others family lots of times ie 1st Cousins Marrying 1st Cousins.

My descendants are all from a large Travelling family and from 1780s-1940s they were travelling between Kilfinnan-Dundee. Between the 1851-1915 they were mostly living around the Balfron & Drymen areas of Scotland, But as you can imagine they were living all over the place Between Dumbartonshire & Stirlingshire. They all lived mainly in Bow Tents and Lived and worked on the Farms, Their Jobs were Spoon Makers,Basket Makers, Tinsmiths etc & the women were mostly Hawkers, selling their Husbands Goods door to door and in the Towns & Villages.

At the moment i am the first person to have traced my family line, I have met Two Cousins through my research and i would love to try and trace any one who might be related to me. I would also like to hear from anyone who is still from the travelling comunity who might know of any of my descendants or even see a picture of any of them.

If you have any one in your tree that is from these areas or infact had any of these Professions please get in contact with me, it would be great to exchange trees. If anyone would like any info on any of the people on my tree, give me a shout.

I am particularly interested in the family names of McCallum,Stewart & McLaren.

Kind Regards

Garry McCallum

Offline Steven Wallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garry,

I know this post is old but I have strong McLaren and Tinky ties in the Dundee area within my family tree. Feel free to email me for more info.

Regards
Steven

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steven,

Yes, I would like to speak with you.

Cheers!
Garry

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Steven,

When you have made another post Garry will be able to send you a PM.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steven Wallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garry,

Please try to PM me now, it should work... let me know if it doesn't.

I have attached a photo of the McLaren family (one line of it anyway...). The older couple on the left is believed to be John (Jock) McLaren (~1874) and his wife Betsy McLaren (~1868), my great great grand parents. The lad 3rd from.the right is believed to be Peter McLaren ~1896 (my great grand father). Peter had a string of kids to his wife Isabella McArthur ~1894, but one was my grand father also named Peter McLaren -1930. They were all in the Barry, Arbroath, Dundee area....

Thanks
Steven