Author Topic: John Fraser/Isabella Henderson, Ardglassie  (Read 8002 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fraser/Isabella Henderson, Ardglassie
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
John and his wife lived at Arglassie, Rathen, Near Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire mid  1700's one of their sons was  James Fraser  who married Jane Lorimer on l/12/1799.  Has anyone any info. about John's father or ancestors. :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: John Fraser/Isabella Henderson, Ardglassie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 December 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just wondering of you got anywhere with John and Isabella? I'm interested to know if John was also a flesher like the three generations that followed him.  Ardglassie is that from their son John's OPR of 1786? John is my 6xG Grandfather.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I am meantime in Australia and do not have access to my files, but know did trace one of them named as gentlemen in papers of that time.  ARDGLASSIE was part of Fraser of Philorth estate and I contacted Fraser ancestry centre some time ago to see if  this part of the estate was included in the Fraser estate when most of it was sold at one time. They stated that it was not sold when the other parts were sold.  It would appear that there must be a family connection between the Frasers of Philorth and Arglassie Frasers.  How far back did you get?

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm only back to John Fraser and Isabella Henderson and that was thanks to their son James living till 1855.  James's son Andrew born Fraserburgh abt 1804 married a Martha Cooper in Old Machar in 1826 (RC wedding) Martha's mother is a Martha Fraser (born abt 1877).  A William Henderson is witness at Martha Cooper's birth in Monquhitter in 1806.
I've got this strange coast, countryside, city thing going on and I just cannot figure out the connections between these people! Sorry that does not help you one little bit.
Jen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
There are two Fraser/Ardglassie gravestones extant at Rathen:

Here is interred the body of James Fraser some time in Ardglasie d. 17 Feb.1786 aged 37 also a daughter Christian d. 1 Sept. 1785 aged 2 months This memorial is erected by his spouse Jean Taylor d. 4 Mar. 1818 aged 72. Their son James who lived at Rora d. 19 Aug. 1847 aged 65; his wife Sophia Bruce d. 20 Feb. 1863 aged 86.

Christian Fraser erected this stone to the memory of William Greig her husband who lived in Newmill in [      ] 4 Nov. 1776 aged [   ] Here lies the remains of John Fraser in Ardglassie d. [   ] July [     ] aged 66.

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I know I have JOHN FRASER's parents in my files at home,  my uncle who died several years ago paid someone to research the family, and had there was a connection made between Fraser of Philorth but I don't have his files only certain letters my father received from my uncle regarding the matter, if this is the case there would be a family connection to Robert the Bruce whose sister married Fraser of Philorth.   Andrew's daughter Margaret would have been my grandmother's mother, who married into the Murison family. What is your connection?    I know I have Martha Cooper or Couper's from Monquhitter parents names, but have tried to see if her mother  was connected to the Philorth Frasers but hit a few brickwalls. 

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Fraser and Martha Cooper's son James would be my grandmother's great grandfather. Late last night I had the following pieced together:

1881 a Martha McKay is living with James Fraser and his wife Christina Goodall. Martha is listed as a cousin showing born Old Machar.
1871 a Martha McKay is living with Isabella Goodall (Christina Goodall's mother). I made the wrong assumption that Martha was a cousin of Christina's I should have followed her through before but didn't. Martha McKay is a cousin to James not Christina.
Martha McKay dies in Fraserburgh in 1889 - James Fraser 'cousin' signs the DC - parents listed as Robert McKay and Ann Couper! So it looks like Ann Couper could be the sister of Martha Couper - Andrew's wife. Robert and Ann got married in Old Machar:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTJ7-B4F
1861 Martha McKay and her mother Ann are in Fraserburgh - Ann McKay showing born Fraserburgh.
1851 Martha McKay and her mother are living at 46 Gordon Street in Old Machar along with younger sister Leslie.
1841 the family are living in Hartlepool - the only census where Robert McKay (mason) is showing.
Martha McKay's mother died in 1869 and on her death certificate her full name is showing as Ann Leslie Cooper, father William Cooper (porter) and mother Martha Fraser.
So William and Martha had two children in Monquhitter (Alexander and Martha) then three in Fraserburgh - so now I have the Fraserburgh link :)
One of the children showing for the couple is a Charles Leslie Cowper born 1814:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB76-GFN
Back to 1841 where a William Cooper (porter) and a Martha are living at 46 Gordon Street in Old Machar.  Then in 1851 Martha Cooper age 74 and a son Charles (sailor) age 35 still living at number 46 Gordon Street.
Now I can write with confidence that the couple living at 46 Gordon Street are the parents of Martha Cooper - before I had them pencilled as a probable!

So that leaves me with a William Henderson witnessing Martha Cooper's birth in Monquhitter in 1806.  Is he the same William Henderson born in 1780 in Monquhitter to a George Henderson? And is he the William who married Janet Taylor? Do my Hendersons link back to Isabella Henderson. Oh and where does that middle name Leslie fit in?.....

Very sad that on the 1841 census there are a group of people all describing themselves as paupers living at Ardglassie.
Jen

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
not back in Uk until FEB and will have access to my files then

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 March 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
I have mislaid some of my files but do have John's parents as Elizabeth Wilcox or Willox who married Alexander Fraser.   Your family connection James Fraser was the brother of my family connection Margaret, she was my gr.grandmother