Author Topic: 1837.com  (Read 7341 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1837.com
« on: Wednesday 09 June 04 20:57 BST (UK) »
I have been away for a few days and someone told me about a site called 1837.com.Has anyone else heard of this site and if so is it any good.I did have a look at it and its a pay per view site,what i am not sure of is,does it let you see the actual record,ie,all the info on the record or is it like BMD which gives you the page and volume number then you have to send off for the actual certificate to get the details you are looking for.If it gives you all the details its well worth it as it goes from 1837 to the present date.I have a sneakie suspition that it only gives volume and page number.Anne. ???
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re:1837.com
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 21:39 BST (UK) »
You get the volume and page reference so you can order the cert.  

You see an image of the list.  It's okay if you have a rare name but if you have 4 pages of Hughes and don't know what year exactlly then it gets quite pricey.

I bought one session and found one person.  THEN I found out that my local reference library had the fiche of the the full BMD!!!

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 23:19 BST (UK) »
one good aspect of the 1837 files, is that you get to see 150 or so same surname if you've judged it right.i have saved all my searches to hard drive, size varies from 40-150 kb into organised folders  ;)

marriage results give you brides maiden name and birth results give you mothers maiden name.BUT only after a certain year..[i 'm not 100% sure when the details included maiden names, maybe some-one could answer that question]

i'll try and attach an example. ::)
:( i just wrote a very long answer but because the file size was too big, i lost it all :(
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 04 06:39 BST (UK) »
For my first searches on 1837online I was lucky, in that I was looking for certs. from 1913 and newer, where there is more information on the index.  Flushed with success, I then started looking for earlier relatives, and found, to my horror, that info. on the index (Birth: mother's maiden name, Marrige: spouse, etc), was missing. An e-mail to 1837online about missing info. (in the description, the extra info. is present) brought a reply suggesting I look up the "Key dates for records ..." in "Resources and Guidance".

Which I did, and found the following, comprehensive information:

Key dates for records in england and wales

1 July 1837 - Introduction of General Civil Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths in England and Wales

Births

Pre-1875 – an estimated 6 to 10% of births NOT registered  <=== !!!!
1875 more rigorous enforcement of compulsory registration   <=== !!!

September quarter 1837 to June quarter 1911 -- only first two full forenames, subsequent initials, registration district and reference number
September quarter 1911 to present -- only first forename, subsequent initials, registration district and number but also includes motherīs maiden surname.

Marriages

September quarter 1837 to December quarter 1911 -- only first two full forenames, subsequent initials, registration district and ref number
March quarter 1912 to September quarter 1962 -- if female was previously married, index shows maiden name and married name
March quarter 1912 to present day -- surname of spouse added

Deaths

1875 enforcement of compulsory registration
September quarter 1837 to June quarter 1911 -- only first two full forenames, subsequent initials, registration district and reference number
September quarter 1911 onwards - only first forename, subsequent initials, registration district and number
September quarter 1837 to December quarter 1865 -- no age given
March quarter 1866 to March quarter 1969 -- age at death given
June quarter 1969 to present -- exact date of birth given

1911/12 are the the important dates, as more info. came in the index itself, making life much easier for us !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 04 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that informative reply,BoCo
well worth keeping that in my notes too  ;)
that said, i still think its a good idea to have a 1837 account, dont you?

jaq

Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 04 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi jaq

Yes, definitely worth having an account.  

I just have to get used to the idea that for "happenings" before 1913 I now look twice for marriages (under Groom and Bride) and try to match them up by registration districts, and for births, just hope that I have the right "John Smith", without benefit of mother's maiden name !

But, as long as we get there, in the end !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 04 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both,i think i might give this site a go.I was wondering if you could make a payment say for 3 months or does it all go on the amount of credits you buy.I also dont have a credit card so does anyone know of another way to pay.Anne. :D
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 04 19:01 BST (UK) »
you have to purchase credits. All info is on their site.

FAQ 1837.com
Q  Is there any other way I may pay for this service, for instance by cheque or by buying vouchers?

A   Currently, we do not accept payment by any method other than online using a credit card via our secure server. We are looking at alternative methods of payment, including vouchers.

:(
i suppose if enough people asked 1837.com, they would have to sort out other ways of paying.

Jaq
---

Offline pussygalore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 04 20:47 BST (UK) »

i also was told about the site, but it wasn't until i bought my credit, i found out that if you have norton anti-virus like me, you get nothing, i.e everything works
but the norton blocks you from seeing anything.

hope this helps

>:(