Author Topic: Thomas & Joseph Mervyn  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Joseph Mervyn
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mervyn (your great grandfather) (living in Innisfallen Parade, Dublin at time of marriage) married Margaret Broderick (Prussia Street), Dublin. 1860?-1902. I have records for three of the four children they had - Thomas Joseph Mervyn born 1891 (was he born in Dublin? I had a birth/baptism cert for him from Belfast),  Mary Brigid Mervyn (1892) and William Joseph Mervyn (?).

My grandfather was William Jospeh Mervyn 1889-1979. I have no record of Thomas Joseph Mervyn born 1891, Mary Brid Mervyn 18992 or the other child unless they died young! Would someone help me! Martin

Offline daisymershum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mervyn (your great grandfather) (living in Innisfallen Parade, Dublin at time of marriage) married Margaret Broderick (Prussia Street), Dublin. 1860?-1902. I have records for three of the four children they had - Thomas Joseph Mervyn born 1891 (was he born in Dublin? I had a birth/baptism cert for him from Belfast),  Mary Brigid Mervyn (1892) and William Joseph Mervyn (?).

David, this is a tall order. If you have family details of my great father and especially his 3 children I would appreciate a scanned copy if you are able to do this or let me know where I can get some of these details. Much appreciatedd your help so far.

Martin M

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, would be great to see you in Dublin. Two grand nephews of Thomas Mervyn are still surviving in Dublin, my own father Michael Mervyn and his brother Patrick Mervyn.

If you register on www.rootsireland.ie - pay site - you can purchase transcriptions of records. It seems like the other three children may have passed away at an early age, but I can't find any death records for them. Just their births.

On the 1911 census, it seems to suggest that Margaret is a widower and has four children, only one of which survived - William.

I have the following...

Date of Marriage: 30-Jul-1888
Parish / District: ST.PAUL'S ARRAN QUAY  County: Co. Dublin
Name: Thomas Mervyn  Margaret Broderick
Address: 77 Innisfallen Parade  71 Prussia Street
Denomination: Roman Catholic 
Husband's Father  Wife's Father
Name: William Mervyn  Michael Broderick
Husband's Mother  Wife's Mother
Name: Bridget Dunne  Ellen Murphy

Name: Thomas Joseph Mervin (should be Mervyn) Date of Baptism/Birth: 22-Apr-1891
Address: 92 Albert Street Parish/District: ST. PETER'S, BELFAST CO ANTRIM
County Co. Antrim
Father: Thomas Mervin Mother: Margaret Brodrick
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1: Catherine T Vallely (Thomas' sister)

Name: William Joseph Mervyn Date of Baptism/Birth: 21-Mar-1891
Address: 52 Albert Street Parish/District: URBAN 4 CIVIL, BELFAST
County Co. Antrim
Denomination: Civil Parish / District
Father: Thomas Mervyn Mother: Maggie Broderick
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1: Mary Keogh

Name: Mary Brigid Mervyn Date of Baptism/Birth: 10-Jul-1892
Address: 52 Albert Street Parish/District: ST. PETER'S, BELFAST CO ANTRIM
County Co. Antrim
Father: Thomas Mervyn Mother: Margaret Broderick
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1: Mary Sherwood (Thomas' sister)

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
David, This is very helpful information. I am very grateful for it. The picture is becoming clearer. I have that longing now to meet the Mervyn's from Dublin. My grandfather William and greatgrandfather seemed to have lost contact with the Dublin Mervyn's.

What you have given me has helped enourmously. Will be in touch soon.

Martin

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 March 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
David, I spoke to my cousing Mary last night. Her mother Margaret (daughter of William Joseph Mervyn) in Belfast had her 85th birthday last night. She is searching for any photos of the Dublin Mervyn's. I did mention the prospect of a Mervyn clan gathering. A generation of Mervyn's in Belfast are dying off. We realise we have to do something quick! Of course a gathering would need time to organize but got to be done before they all disappear!

I will speaking to my cousin soon to get any information. Oh as I remember Veronica was the child that is not named in Thomas' (my greatfather) family. David you have been extremely helpful in helping me - but I have another request. Do you have a family tree at your end. I have got the family of your decendant William Mervyn (married to Catherine Power) along with brothers and sisters) including brother Thomas but do you have a family tree going downwards from the branch of William and Thomas. Will be in touch soon. Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Martin M

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
David,
I am very sorry for the long delay in getting to you. Extensive searches have been done at our end to locate any photo of Thomas Mervyn or any other connection. Unfortunately with all the Mervyn tribe in Belfast no photos exist. We have had several gatherings and nobody seems to have anything beyond my grandfather William. Photographs were not a big thing in those days!
The mystery continues! My great grandfather and great grandmother Thomas and Margaret (Broderick) had set up a shoemaking business in the Lower Falls area of Belfast making shoes for the police. In those days a very profitable business.
Will update you with any leads.

Martin M

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 May 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
David,
Have not heard from you for a while. Did you ever locate our relaties from the cemetary in Kildare. Did you ever get to the bottom it.

Have you got any more specific details of William Mervyn Snr born 1927 in England in terms of specific birth date or possibly where in England.

Martin

Offline Rialto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I'm Mo Fahey and my great grandmother was Ellen Broderick, sister of the Margaret Broderick who married Thomas Mervyn 1888.  My cousins and I are researching the Broderick side of the family but have come to a few dead ends (if you'll pardon the pun).  We cannot trace Ellen's birth, nor indeed Margaret's, although we have managed to glean quite a few other details along the way.  My Aunt Molly used to mention her great aunt Annie, who lived at (79?) Abyssinia Street, Antrim - Annie was there in 1939 when my uncle Jimmy Fahey enlisted in the RAF from that address (although he actually lived at Rialto, in Dublin, at the time) but I seem to recall Molly saying that the family were burned out during the Troubles.  I would love to know more about the Antrim branch of the family.  Re photos, I have one of Margaret Broderick's parents, Michael and Ellen, with a young woman who we were told was Ellen.  The girl on this photo does not look too much like the one in the photo of Ellen on her wedding day so I wonder if it was in fact Margaret?  It would be lovely to hear from you.

Best wishes

Mo 

Offline Rialto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello - my great grandmother was Ellen Broderick and I think she was the sister of the Margaret Broderick who married your Thomas Mervyn.  I have a photograph of my great, great grandparents, Michael and Ellen Broderick, with a young boy (Michael junior) and a young woman who is said to have been Ellen junior, ie my great grandma, but I think it is in fact one of her sisters.

The Brodericks lived on Tighe Street, Manor Street and Prussia Street in the 1800s.

Can we exchange information please?

Thanks

Mo Fahey

Offline Marie Mervyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 May 16 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there.
I have read with very much interest the information you have shared regarding the Mervyns. My great, grand father was Thomas Mervyn, born in Belfast 1887. His father James Mervyn (1843)was from Dublin. James's father was a Michael Mervyn and he was also a shoe maker (this information is on James's wedding certificate 1865). I can't believe how many similarities there are between the Mervyn's in Dublin and Belfast. A family of Dublin Mervyns moved to Murdock Street and you mention children baptised at St Peter's which is where all the Belfast Mervyns were baptised. James and Rose Ann Mervyn also lived on Albert Street, Belfast where Rose died 1891. All the same names are still running through both families, Michael, William, Thomas, James, Patrick etc. Plus both families are Catholic. It would be lovely to find a connection between the 2 families. Who knows, maybe your great grandfather William and Michael (James's father)were brothers or cousins.