Author Topic: Mary Ann TODD 1839  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann TODD 1839
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn, If it is the right Mary Ann and it looks as if it is, given the posts with the Trove information. I already knew who, when and where she was born (just haven't figured out why Tennessee USA)
I had almost all other information on the whereabouts in NSW of all other members,JUST NOT HER. She disappeared off the radar in 1859 after her father William Snr's death. Now I am left with another quandry who was the Ann jackson that married Frederick Cox in 1880. Looks like a sepparate post after a bit of imaginative searching. Problem with me getting anything out of online BDM Vic is I dont possess a credit card, hate em. Wont have one!!!!
So its back to the old methods. Funny thing, its not set up for that anymore.
Ah well, "that old chinaman". Thanks
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
For Majm, A connection to Manly?

Frederick Harford Cox whose wife was Ann Jackson married in 1880 died in Manly?4891/1936  COX  FREDERICK HARFORD FATHER DANIEL HARFORD MOTHER HANNAH  AT MANLY.

I cannot find a death for ANN or a Birth??? Now she is the enigma!!!
Neil  :o

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Electoral Roll 1933

Frederick Cox 30 Victoria Pde Manly, traveller
Annie, same address, home duties.

Annie at 30 Victoria Pde Manly, but NO Frederick...

Cheers,  JM

PS, if you can get to a good local library or family history group, they may have access to those electoral rolls !
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for all that guys.

Now I have established the Ann to the Mary Ann and now it looks like ANNIE who apparently didn't die either.

Gee didn't they register their dead in this group????? Or for that matter their births properly either?????.

I can follow up with some names to work on now. :o

My thanks to all :D
Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Neil,

Some of the various clergy in the various denominations had a great deal of difficulty coming to terms with the civil rules which oft clashed with their own church practices... particularly when it came to informing the civil authorities about members of their local parish.  NSW parliamentary debates went on for DECADES and decades ...  There was a great deal of mis-trust betwixt the civil and the ecclesiastical institutions... and they all had funding issues ....

What you are finding, doesn't appear to be any more odd than what I have found when tracing my tree back.  I have the benefit of a wonderful set of family papers with various detailed records passed down to me going back on one NSW line to 1817, and it took me several decades to work through confirming/rejecting those details, getting certs, saving up for more certs etc.  I have also re-validated the info since the internet came along, and more especially since that wonderful digitised newspaper site, TROVE ... came to my puter.

As I see it, you are only noticing the apparent long list of NO CERTS because we have been able to 'concertina' your searchings into such a short time span ... the tyranny of time being almost overcome by the internet and the current popularity of family history leading to so many resources being uploaded.

I remember my late gran who explained to me that although she was orphaned before QV had made Australia a Federation, some of my Gran's family had arrived in NSW before QV was ever even a twinkle in her Dad's eye.   I inherited my Gran's "genealogy" notes books  back when children were not permitted to even ask for access to the Reference books in the main (Adult)  library.  But our local librarian understood my desire to learn, so she turned a 'blind eye' as I devoured anything to do with NSW ... What a change in emphasis I have noticed in the way history is researched, themed, delivered and devoured over the past six decades or so...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Re Records, thanks. When I was a little fella a couple of years ago now. i had sort of a Maiden Aunt. She was the only family historian, she had a little religious book with sayings. In it were pages alloted to months of the year BLANK. until she wrote in it all the family history she knew bit by bit year after year. Seems I was the only one who knew it was there in her dresser.

Many years after, I had the job of cleaning out her house after she passed on. I went with my eldest brother, the Ute and some blankets for wrapping. When we went to clean out the dresser, there was the book. I said to my brother keep it it has all the family history! 2 days later he rang me, he had a look at the book and found heaps of pages torn out. I painstakingly went through the book and found the impressions she had made when she wrote, I had to do this under a microscope.

She had erased all mentions of my Grandmother her Husband and her half sisters. She asked to be buried with her Grandmother not her mother to whom she was named after.

Scandal of any kind was not tolerated even for histories sake.

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well ... Gran had a separate note book for ALL the "scan-DELLS" and it is (from my point of view) the most interesting .... especially thanks to trove !

I do so hope you can put all the many pieces of this jigsaw together.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
The ending of the search...maybe...
What a family. Mary Ann Todd b1839 Tennessee USA comes to Australia in 1854. Moves to Victoria and marries James Jackson they have three children one of them, Ann b Victoria? c1860 Marries Frederick Cox in 1880 in Sydney.
They have 1 or 2 children then separate and Ann Dies destitute in 1906.

Meanwhile Frederick is having an affair with Catherine Ross because he has a child with her, their first Eliza in 1889 up in Gosford. They go on to have a few more (5) one of which they name ANNIE b1895. Fred decides to make an honest woman of Catherine and marries her in Manly in 1900 and they go on to have 4 more little Cox's prior to 1910 up in Gosford which fortunately is where the searches end anyway.

Catherine Cox died in Gosford in 1923 and Frederick in 1936 at Manly where he was married.

I get the feeling Fred may have cheated a bit on poor Ann but he sure left a legacy of children. He also left me a headache!!!!
Neil

Offline CayleyBurton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
Does this help? I am soooo confused by this part of my family. I can't find anyone!!!