Author Topic: Mary Ann TODD 1839  (Read 7292 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann TODD 1839
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Noticing two lads admission to Randwick Asylum on 5 August 1872

Charles JACKSON aged 9 and John Andrew JACKSON aged 7 

Neil, I am not sure if the practices for recording ages of the children were pedantically accurate in that era, but do you have a John Andrew Jackson to James and Mary Ann.

Also noticing an intestate estate for a Mary Ann Jackson in 1901 in the Manly district, she a widow.

And among several intestate ones for James .... there's a James in 1874 in Sydney.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

(Jackson is not as popular as say Smith or Jones, but there's soooooo many of those Jacksons ... its the elimination of the 'wrong 'uns  ;) )
Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I didn't really have much until an hour ago, some suppositions that proved sort of correct if in an roundabout way??

I dont have any John Andrew's, what Randwick Asylum? would they be referring to a hospital? Also dont have any connection to Manly except thats were I met my wife.41st anniversary yesterday. I originally had her pencilled in as 1883 which was pretty young. Could be wrong though, but how come her death is not on BMD?
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:07 GMT (UK) »
This link will explain about the Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cck/

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Randwick Asylum .... as in where children (err boys) were placed when they had no one caring for them 

THANKS MERLIN, was just looking for that link too ... 

Manly ...  ;D (I'm being cheeky) did you really mean you wife was born in 1883 ...

Deaths not on BDM online...
short version ....  even after civil registrations commenced, the practise of forwarding quarterly returns to the NSW Reg General's BDM office has had its troubles.  Up until WWI one of the issues was funding.  Also re death certs .... it may seem surprising now, but even until WWI it was possible for a cleryman to bury a person if he was satisfied that the identity had been established, and to bury without a doctor certifying that the person was deceased. Thus there was no document for anyone to complete to forward to the NSW BDM Reg Gen to then issue a formal death certificate.  Also, a funeral director could bury without a doctors certificate IF he was directed to so do by a coroner.  I have noticed several instances where there was the inquest but no d. c. on the NSW BDM index.
In a practical sense, at the end of each quarter of each year one of the clerical tasks required by the deputy registrars (or their staff) was to compile the returns for HO...  When these were completed they were then sent by ordinary mail to HO ....  and until the introduction of the typewriter into NSW BDM HO the info was then transferred into HO's ledgers by HANDWRITING ... thinking about how many hands involved, transcription errors etc).  So, if a return was either a) not prepared or b) lost in the mail or c) too hard to read and discreetly 'lost' in the paperwork at HO ... then the name is NOT found on the INDEX ....

(And err that's a short version.... sorry)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Is this your Ann TODD's funeral notice inserted by her daughter Mary Ann JACKSON:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ccl/

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, No bit later than that ;D. I was referring to Mary Ann Jackson/Todd. ::)

Gee no certifying doctor, no wonder they buried them with bells to ring. I probably need to find out about this Mary Ann jackson death 1901. Intestate,no will,wonder what happened then. If the kids were sent to the Asylum then they were in there with an awfull lot of family. There were 154 Jacksons in there up to 1901??? Like a second home to them. ???

I think my parents said they were going to send me to a home several times. never knew what they were on about?

These jacksons are a bit thick on the ground as you say. Who'da thought. Might have to go and find some certs if I want to progress.

Anyway to check Glebe Sydney for residents? A couple of births in that area for parents same name?

Getting somewhere, thanks all

Neil :D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Merlin, did you notice that the notice immediately above was inserted by William TODD ...  ;)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Several notices for Mary Ann JACKSON's death & funeral in the newspaper.

Naming husband James, son William & brother William  :D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ccm/

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Merlin, did you notice that the notice immediately above was inserted by William TODD ...  ;)

Yes, JM & I just listed Mary Ann's also naming the same family  ;D