Author Topic: axon - gard deal walmer kent  (Read 4587 times)

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
axon - gard deal walmer kent
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:34 GMT (UK) »
in my tree i have the  marriage of Samuel Henry axon 1810 and Susanna or Susannah coppen Gard 1809. married 1836 deal kent
i have managed to find on the 1841, 1851, a Henry axon and on the 1861 Samuel Henry axon.
married to Susannah. the children i have for them are, James Richard 1837, Sarah 1838, Elizabeth 1839,  Mary Ann 1846. I'm thinking that he possible didn't always use his first name Samuel could anyone confirm this.
i have traced Susanna coppen Gard back to Richard Gard and Susanna Morris and Susanna Morris back to thomas Morris and Susanna coppin
i have not been able to find anything of Richard Gard does anyone have information about him.
also samuel henry axon, all i have found about him is his birth, there is also a henry samuel axon just to confuse things
thanks john

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
  • LordOfKent from the Garden Of England.
    • View Profile
Re: axon - gard deal walmer kent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

If you want more info about the Axons, like I do, the best person to contact is KPM she is quite active here.

She has promised to send me some info about an Arthur R Axon b c.1907 who married an aunt of mine in the Deal, Walmer area.

Best Wishes
John

Cambridgeshire - Garrad
Kent - Church, Harman, Longhurst, Lord, Turner, Washer, Weston
London - Lord, Sawtell
Oxfordshire - Crawford, Lord
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Surrey - Harman, Lord, Sawtell, Turner
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thank you for your pm.  I thought I would reply here rather than personally just in case anyone else is researching the Axons or Gards.

Samuel Henry married Susannah Coppen Gard on 26th April 1836 at St Leonard's church.  Samuel was the son of James Axon (from Stockport in Cheshire) and his wife Sarah nee Bailey, born 1810.  James was in the Royal Artillery 3rd Batallion and shortly after he married in 1794 he was posted to Woolwich for Training and then on to Houghton in Dover where his first son James was born in 1799.  He was then posted to Deal where the family remained.  All of the Axon's in Dover appear to originate from James and Sarah.

Samuel Henry and Susannah had 7 children:
Sarah Bailey 1836 - 1846
James Richard 1837 - 1898
Elizabeth Harriet 1839 - unknown
Mary Ann Coppen 1842 - 1844
Mary Ann Ridgway 1845 - 1854
Henry Thomas 1848 - 1930
Sara Coppen 1852 - 1854

You are right in saying that samuel seems to interchange between Samuel Henry and Henry and I did find him using either names on the census records.  He died in 1879 and I am sure I found him on the census up to 1871.  I dont have my records to hand but if you want me to find you the census details, please let me know.

Unfortunately, I dont know much more about Richard Gard.  Before he was married to Susanna Morris, he was married to Amey Ladd.  Amey died in 1796 and he married Susanna the following year. 

My great great grandfather was James Richard Axon - who are you connected to?

Hope this has been helpful and if I can help in any other way, please let me know.

Regards

Anne-Marie

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
hello kpm
thanks for the information about Samuel Henry axon and Susanna coppin gard its been really helpful.

my great great grandfather was James Richard axon who married Ellen maria larkins in 1860, i have that there were 9 children, correct me please if I'm wrong
William James 1860, Mary Ann Susanna 1864, Emma Elizabeth 1865, James Henry 1869
Henry James 1871, Elizabeth Ellen 1873, William Edward 1876, john Richard 1877, Alice Louise 1879.
Elizabeth Ellen married my great grandfather Frederick George spicer. i met Elizabeth when i was a young boy when i visited chatham with my mum many years ago, she was lovely as i remember.
living in yorkshire makes it difficult at times doing the family tree and i don't always seem to get it right. thanks yes i would like the 1871 census. am i right to believe that Samuel axon and William larkins were mariners, i heard that some of their families were on the deal lifeboat and cique port pilots, could you confirm this. thanks once again john

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
hello Anne-Marie
been doing a little research.
Elizabeth Harriet axon 1839 - unknown, have searched the free B.D.M and found an entry for a marriage of Elizabeth Harriet axon and a George bush in lewisham in 1878.
have searched the 1881 census and found the following.
unable to read the original until i go to the library
Elizabeth H. Bush
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: George S. Bush
Where born: Lower Walmer, Kent, England
 Civil parish: Lewisham
County/Island: London
  Street Address: 3b Lewis Grove
Condition as to marriage: Married
Employment status: Coal Merchant Wife
  Registration district: Lewisham
Sub-registration district: Lewisham 
Household Members:
Name Age
George S. Bush 25
Elizabeth H. Bush 40
George H. Bush 1
George H. Bush 66
Henry W. Axon 6
Emily Priest 17
this could be Elizabeth Harriet axon as it says she was born in walmer,  there is a Henry axon staying with them, until i read the original transcript to see where they were all born will not be sure.
john

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
hello Anne-Marie
have looked at the transcript of the 1881 census regarding Elizabeth Harriet axon and George bush.
Elizabeth and Henry w axon (visitor) where both born in lower Walmer, George was born in lewisham.
on the 1891 census it reads, George s bush 38, Elizabeth h bush 49, George h bush 11, daisy bush 4
James axson 19 and George bush 75. i think this is Elizabeth Harriet axon.

i was also looking for information on Henry thomas axon born 1848 to Samuel and Susannah that you have. i think we could have another case of Samuel Henry axon and Henry Samuel axon as the only Henry thomas axon 1848 i managed to find on the family search.org, his father is Henry Samuel axon and his mother is listed as Catherine pilcher and not Susanna Gard, not being able to look at church and other local records this could be wrong, or another born at in the same year. i have found a marriage between a Henry thomas axon and Jane Emily stellaway 6th march 1872. i have managed to find a Henry thomas axon on the 1881 census twice. on the first he is on vessels, Sussex, as a channel pilot street address garland, on the boat princess royal and married. on the second i have a entry that reads - Henry axon 34, Jane axon 32, Louisa 7, john 5, Elizabeth 3 and frank 1, street address 18 york street walmer
Henry is listed as a mariner, Henry and all the children are from walmer and Jane from deptford.
hope you find this interesting  john

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 May 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Late in the day, I know, but I have been researching the Deal/Walmer Axon family for some time and have copies of the church records of all those Axons baptised, married and buried in those parishes. If anyone still wishes clarification or information I would be happy to supply it.

Regards

AJ