Author Topic: doolan  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Philip John

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
doolan
« on: Friday 22 April 05 05:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my family history. My ancestors came to Australia as Free Settlers in about 1824. They settled at Braidwood, NSW, then moved to Quipolly Creek, Quirindi, Werris Creek, in the Hunter Valley. My side of the Family, Jack Doolan and his wife, had three girls and and a boy (Roy) in the Hunter, then moved to Sydney where they had Percy George (my grandfather) in 1881. Percy and Alice (nee Ormond) had six girls and two boys (Cliford and Errol). Errol is my father.
I would like to find the name of Jack's father, who I think was the free settler.  There is a Francis(?) Doolan buried in Braidwood cemetry. I would like to know where the Doolans came from in Ireland and if the whole family came out or just one/two of the boys, if any went to other parts of the world and if there are any of that family line still living in Ireland. Thank you.

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: doolan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 06 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,
The Doolan name, although not common, does not appear to come from any one place in Ireland - at least no one place that can be traced! I have Doolan ancestors from Co. Clare who settled in the Ipswich and Toowoomba regions of Queensland. There were Doolans from Kings County who settled in Cooktown and Maryborough in Qld, and there were Doolans from Tipperary burried in Bungendore NSW. There are lots of others whose place of birth is not stated in indexes that I have seen. Check the 1881 Census of the UK and you'll see still more variety in county of origin.

To find where yours came from, you'll need a birth or marriage certificate or an obituary, unless their headstones record the birthplace. The quickest and cheapest source is the obituary. Jack's marriage certificate should name his parents; when you know this, check the online NSW death indexes (which states the location), then a trip to the State Library and search of local newspapers of the day will hopefully turn up an obituary for one or both of them. If there is no obituary, the funeral notice can often give useful details to help confirm or eliminate a 'suspect' from the pool of potentials of the same name. If Jack's parents/father was born in Australia,repeat the above.

Good Luck

Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline Tom Keegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doolan's from Co. Offaly.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
I'm looking for Doolans that went to Australia from about 1850 to 1890. They lived near The Blue Ball Tullamore and Mount Bolus.
Winnyfred Doolan married Patrick Doolan in 1883 [Dooolan married Doolan]
they had four children before they emigrated,
Peter born Mar 1884
Roseanne  Jan 1886
Catherine May 1888
Mary Ellen July 1890
Winnyfred's brothers James and Thomas [twins] Daniel, and sisters Mary and Catherine had emigrated before her, although I'm not 100% sure if they all went.
Incidentally I have an uncle in Toowoomba [not a Doolan]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Looks like some information posted on another Doolan thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=315264.0;topicseen
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the ancestry of Lawrence DOOLAN, born 1839 in Sydney, NSW and died in Quirindi, NSW in 1901.  In 1865 at Patricks Plain, NSW, Lawrence married Louisa SNAPE.  His death certificate records his parents as Lawrence and Margaret.   Lawrence's parents probably came from Ireland but there are a number of possibilities.  His mother may have been Margaret MANNIX/MANNIG or DIGAN (1806-1891) who was from Kings, Ireland (Co Offaly) and who died at Wollombi, Hunter Region, NSW.  His father may have been (Patrick) Laurence/Lawrence DOOLAN/DOWLAN, year & place of death unknown.  Men of similar names arrived in NSW in 1814 (Tried in Meath & a Police Constable in 1827) & 1833 (Tried in Kilkenny).  To further confuse the issue, the ancester may be someone from Ardpatrick, Co Limerick born in 1781.  A Pat Dowlan had an inn at Millfield in the Hunter Region on the Great Northern Road.
Anchor425

Offline KTMB1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Anchor425 and Philip John,

Lawrence Doolan b.1839 is my g.g.grandfather and I have only as much information as you, Anchor425. Hope to find out if you discover anything else, about his father (Lawrence Doolan 1808-1854 married to Margaret Digan 1806-1891) and beyond, thank you!

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 19 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi KTMB1966
The parents of Lawrence Doolan (1808-1854) may have been Daniel (1767-1869) & Ellen Doolan nee Ahern, but I regret I cant find the source of this.   They may have married in Ireland in 1828.  My knowledge of the family is limited to what I can find online for free and I regret I have not been able to find out how they arrived in NSW.  One useful reference is  http://Https://Www.Genealogy.Com/Forum/Surnames/Topics/Doolan/105/
My interest arises from the marriage of Lawrence's grandson, George Henry Bernard Doolan (1884-1963) to Mary Jane Vidler (1878-1947), as Mary Jane's mother was Mary Jane Hockey (1855-1937); I am a descendant of this line of Hockeys from Montacute, Somerset, England.
Anchor 425  :) ???

Offline moofmonster15

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 06:25 GMT (UK) »
some info that I have on Laurence Doolan and  Margaret Digan who are ancestors of mine,Laurence tried at Kilkenny County Lent Assizes on the 10thMarch 1832, sentence Life.He was a Whiteboy and came to Australia on the Portland in 1833. May have married in 1832. Was assigned to H C. Sempell at Invermain in
the Scone District. Ticket of leave granted 19thApril 1842.Was on the electoral rolls for Patrick Plains 1874-75

hope this helps ,excuse the typing the cat keeps interrupting. Moofmonster