Author Topic: James Coventry STENHOUSE  (Read 3399 times)

Offline onlyharryjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Coventry STENHOUSE
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Can anyone help me with one of my more elusive ancestors - James Coventry  Stenhouse?
James was born on 24th March 1883 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland.
His parents (my GG Grandparents) were David Stenhouse (1841-1888) and Elizabeth Coventry (1845-1910).

James appears on the 1891 Census for Birkenhead, England at age 7, but unlike his many brothers and sisters, doesn't appear on any 1901 English Census. He seems to vanish.

I found a reference on familysearch.org to 'Jas C Stenhouse' in the 1910 US Census as a resident of Brooklyn Ward 22, Kings, New York and shows his immigration year as 1898.
His birthplace, and that of his parents, is confirmed as Scotland (which I’m sure will apply to thousands!)
His wife is Margaret (no maiden name), and she was born in New York to Canadian parents in about 1882.
His children are listed as James M (born c1902), Devena E (born c1905) and Margaret M (born c1907).

What makes me think it might be him is that he had two older sisters (maybe his favourites) called Davina and Margaret McBeath.

It’s a bit of a long shot but….if you are a descendant of James Coventry Stenhouse, and the above information appears to stack up, then I’d love to hear from you!

Neil

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: James Coventry STENHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm not related, just trying to help:
NY Passenger
Sailing from Liverpool, England to New York, on board the Lucania, arriving 25 June 1898:
James Stenhouse, 17, Single, Errand Boy, English, last residence Birkenhead.
Final destination: Cleveland, Ohio, passage paid by friend; James had $15 with him, he had not been in the U.S. before.
"Whether going to join a relative": Friend, Mrs(?) Nash(?), Cleveland
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 02:14 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage?
New Castle Delaware
James C Stenhouse & Margaret J Jeffrey, 7/10/1901 (I don't know if it was October or July), Wilmington, New Castle
http://genealogytrails.com/del/newcastle/s-3post1850marriages.html

1910 Brooklyn Ward 22, NY
Stenhouse, Jas. C, 29, married 9 years, Scot English (as were parents), immigrated 1898, Stationary Engineer, Contractor
Margaret, 28, married 9 years, 3 children, New York, parents born Can English
James M, 8, born Pennsylvania
Davena E, 5, born Pennsylvania
Margaret M, 3, born Pennsylvania
They lived on 17th Street, #331

Update:
I found their marriage certificate.  His parents were David Stenhouse and Elizabeth Coventry.  He was living in Philadelphia at the time of their marriage, which was July 10, 1901.  Do you have access to American records?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Stenhouse and her children James M, Davana, and Margaret were living in Philadelphia, PA in 1920.  She was widowed.  She states her parents were born in New York.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage index for a Margaret M Stenhouse, 1937, Philadelphia, to someone named Feenane.
There may be additional records for the Stenhouses on this site:
https://www.familysearch.org/

WWII Reg Card for John Joseph Feenane, married to Margaret Feenane.  Lived in Philadelphia in 1942.  He was born 29 March 1891, Trenton, New Jersey.
(There were two John Joseph's - one was born in 1887.)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I found an obituary for your James in the Tyrone (Pennsylvania) Daily Herald from 16 Apr. 1914.  It said he died last week of tuberculosis in Denver, Colorado.  There is some mention of his work in construction enterprises, so it sounds like he may have been working out there.  It mentions the marriage to Margaret Jeffrey which Lisa found, the three children, and that he had been from Brooklyn, New York.  It says his body was returned to the home of his sister-in-law Mrs. W. W. Waring in Tyrone for funeral services and he was to be interred in Eastlawn Cemetery.  It mentioned that he was born in Scotland 31 years prior and had many relatives who still lived in England, including 11 brothers & sisters.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I also found an obituary for James' wife Margaret in the Chester (Pennsylvania) Times.   She was listed as Mrs. Margaret J. Narlee of Upper Darby and she passed away in Philadelphia on 2 Oct. 1958.  It mentions that James passed away in 1914, and it refers to the 3 children.  It appears that the Margaret who married a Feenane was the daughter.

If you'd like me to send these obituaries to you, just send me your e-mail address in a private message.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I'll be able to send you the obits later today. 

On the Philadelphia marriage index on www.familysearch.org, it appears that Margaret Stenhouse married a Hans Narlee in 1922.  Hans appears to be listed as a boarder living with the Stenhouses in the 1920 Census.  He was listed as age 32, single, born Norway, immigrated in 1909, papers filed for naturalization, and working as a rigger in a shipyard.  A WWI draft registration card for Hans gives his date of birth as 8 Mar. 1877 in Norway. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello onlyharryjones,

Following on from the 2 super-sleuths above - just a small snippet.  James Stenhouse Jnr was married to Lydia on the 1930 Census and living in Brooklyn, King. New York with a daughter and a son James who was 2 months old.
This is possibility for James shown in US veterans Gravesites:- James Raymond Stenhouse. Born 26 January 1930 and died 26 January 1930. Internment Date 29 January 1986. Long Island National Cemetery. Cemetery Address: 2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211
Buried At: Section R Site 2104. -  PVT US Army  - Service Start Date: 15 May 1947

If the above is correct then this would be his wife Ruth who also died young. Perhaps there might be Obituaries which would help to verify.

Ruth A Stenhouse Born 19 Aug 1932 and Died 17 Aug 1955. Interred 19 August 1955 Long Island National Cemetery  Cemetery Address: 2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211
Buried At: Section R Site 2104  Relation: Wife of Stenhouse, James Raymond.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cdp/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cdq/

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada