Author Topic: Emigration of Alfred Richard SIMPSON and parentage  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Alfred Richard SIMPSON and parentage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Also sent you A PM with further information.

Cheers

Akira

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 April 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Re that 1860 NSW m.c. with missing information as to parents etc ... 

The indexing of civil registrations for marriages from that era were not complied by NSW BDM Reg General's office until much later.  Many of the churches forwarded only limited information when they were requested to in around 1879.  However, the clergy conducting the wedding should have recorded the parents names for both the bride and the groom, as well as other vital family history information (occupation, age etc).    The clergy were required by their own denomination's laws to obtain the information regarding parents of the couple.

That information should be recorded in the local parish register ... at least two concurrent "logs" were maintained, and the church regulations required these to be kept separate and in fire safe places (usually one within the church building and one in the manse etc). 

Some local family history groups have transcribed their local parish registry books.    Have you considered contacting the church/denomination mentioned on the transcript?

Here's a link to the Shoalhaven Family History's website
 http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~sfhs/

Here's a link to the NSW BDM's online information about their historical records
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/historyofRegistrysRec.htm   scroll down and note that even today the process of reconciling the records is not complete.  (hence black spaces on many m.c.)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 16:49 BST (UK) »

You might have a second chance at finding origins of Hannah Guyton as I think she remarried and had a second family.  The second marriage certificate might have better details for Hannah.

Death notice for Alfred Richard Simpson SMH 25 Apr 1925 has him as brother of  Mr and Mrs H Ward 32 Marlborough St Leichhardt, Mr and Mrs J Alker and Mrs Little, Long Bay.

Hannah Guyton m. Alfred Richard Simpson 1860  Shoalhaven
Alfred R Simpson b. 1864 Broulee

Death - Alfred Simpson  1145/1863  Sydney

Birth - Albert E Guyton  71622/1866  Broulee mother Hannah, no father

Marriage - Hannah Simpson   Henry Harley    1832/1868     Young

Death - Albert E Simpson  2908/1870  Binalong parents Hannah/Richard

Birth - Ann Harley  7978/1871    Grenfell  parents Henry/Hannah
          Henry E A   9339/1876     Grenfell  parents Henry/Hannah
          Jane E        17045/1882   Temora  parents Henry/Hannah
          Hannah E    20188/1884   Barmedman  parents Henry/Hannah
          Christina     1102/1887     Sydney       mother Hannah, no father's name

Marriage - Christina Harley / James Alker            7754/1912  Redfern
                 Jane E Harley / Harry A Ward             8225/1900 Balmain North
                 Henry E A Harley/Fanny F Joel            2820/1901  Sydney
                 Hannah E Harley /Tasman G Carey     4922/1921 Sydney

Deaths - Henry Edward A Harley  22833/1969 Blacktown     parents Henry/Hannah
               Christina Alker                1731/1969  Sydney          parents Henry/Hannah
              Jane Elizabeth Ward       30222/1946 Newtown      parents Henry/Hannah Elspeth
               Alice E Little                    21989/1927 St Peters      parents Henry/Hannah

Hannah Harley               1983/1893  Sydney parents John E/Elspeth
              Henry Harley                   94/1886  age 57 Sydney

I think you would need to be imaginative with the name Guyton...Gyton/Gayton/Gatton etc but  parents names John E and Elspeth might help to locate Hannah.

From the marriage certificate 1860 is there an occupation for Alfred, also witnesses?.

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Chris,

I found further information to support you hunch with the JP :)

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

Akira

Offline Wendysimes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 June 15 06:18 BST (UK) »
Interested to know if anyone has found any further details on Hannah.  I am researching Nerrigundah and in the NSW Police Gazette of 29 April 1868 is the following entry.
Alfred Richard Simpson, a child, 4 years old, having no means of support, has been sent by the Nerrigundah Bench to a public Industrial school.

There is a christening entry for Albert Edward Simpson at Nerrigundah 3rd December 1866 having been born 15th November 1866, mother Anna Simpson.  I presume this is the same birth as recorded under Guyton.  Broulee being the registration name for the district.
So after her husband died Hannah must have come to the goldfields at Nerrigundah with someone else and then presumably left leaving Alfred behind or had no means of supporting him. However Albert does not seem to have been left.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 June 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,

Great place for help with family history quests.

Yes,  I can confirm that Albert E, son of Hannah, and birth registered Broulee District NSW BDM #7162/1866, yes  Albert’s date of birth drills down to 15 November 1866 at the NSW BDM online index.  The index uses the same reference no. for both entries.  So the index has the birth listed under both GUYTON and SIMPSON.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.